Acer: US PC makers may disappear over the next 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Acer's founder Stan Shih isn't the slightest bit modest about the company's rapid growth, predicting the end of US-based computer manufacturers. AFP quotes Shih as saying, "The trend for low-priced computers will last for the coming years... But US computer makers just don't know how to put such products on the market... US computer brands may disappear over the next 20 years, just like what happened to US television brands."

Looking 20 years ahead in the PC industry seems nearly impossible, but Shih's claims aren't entirely unfounded. Acer recently surpassed Dell to become the world's second largest computer maker, representing some 13.4% of global shipments in the third quarter of 2009. The Taiwanese firm still has its work cut out though, as HP still has a strong grip on the number one position, holding around 20% market share.

Permalink to story.

My family has owned 3 or 4 Dells to date, and we have been very happy with all of them. My mom's Dell turned 10 years old this year (it shipped with Windows Millennium, blech!, though has XP now). Obviously she's in need of a new comp, but in generally I'm a big fan of Dells.

With regard to computers in general though: I think there just isn't enough variety between PCs. In my opinion, the quality of the various companies fluctuates. Ultimately I don't think any of the major computer manufacturers are much better than the others. I do like to support US companies though, so I will probably continue to buy Dells.

I am quite sure US share will decrease, but this is an overly simplified statement at best.
I see, for example, no danger to Apple from Acer, ever. There is and always will be a market for high-end systems, or unique ones; The middle market is the one that will dwindle.

I have to point out that RCA is still very much alive and is an American electronics manufacture. (Though like every electronic manufacture they manufacture their products in china.)

I have to point out that RCA is still very much alive and is an American electronics manufacture. (Though like every electronic manufacture they manufacture their products in china.)

How do you spell RCA? I'm not quite certain, but it's probably spelled, "F-U-N-A-I".

I used to get a kick out of Japanese electronics manufacturers' American born sales reps beginning sentences with the word, "we"!

I think we should do away with logos like "RCA", at least in English. Let's s***can the hypocrisy and plaster the front of our gear with Chinese symbols

Guest said:
I am quite sure US share will decrease, but this is an overly simplified statement at best.
I see, for example, no danger to Apple from Acer, ever. There is and always will be a market for high-end systems, or unique ones; The middle market is the one that will dwindle.

That's how I see it too. I'm sure HP/Dell will fall eventually to the east PC manufacturers but they will still hold a presence albeit smaller world presence then they do now.

Where the products are manufactured is *to a certain degree* irrelevant. What's important for a company being American is that the products are designed in US, and that the profit comes back to US.

And meanwhile we will get drowned with a plethora of netbooks with the same exact hardware specs.

HP/Dell still hold on a huge numbers of governments & education computer business in US. Don't think Acer can step into that space in term of post sales support service, long term warranty & longer product life cycle. Acer notebook & systems in term of quality will never able to match if they keep on using cheap grad C components. Lenovo & Asus has much better quality products in the GovEd space than Acer.

"Just what we need . A world full of cheap Acer junk." Guest

ROFL totally agreed, me and my friend were suppose to have a COD tourey and his acer's hardrive just like blew up and we had to cancel.

Sigh... bad times.. bad times :(

"Just what we need . A world full of cheap Acer junk." Guest

ROFL totally agreed, me and my friend were suppose to have a COD tourey and his acer's hardrive just like blew up and we had to cancel.

Sigh... bad times.. bad times :(

Too bad it wasn't a 15,000 RPM SCSI that blew up, you may have been able to effect a real body count.

Its more of because many of the people who buy their first pc don't really know a ***t about anything in this regard. Hence, they end up buying lots of useless junk (read netbooks and /or pcs like that for me); hence the hit on the middle market. However, I will add that most users want 'reasonably priced' and 'adequately equipped' pcs for gaming or normal use. Therefore, its share may dwindle, but perhaps the revenue side of it will remain relatively ok/ or static.

Edit: Using a netbook for me is like watching your hair grow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back