Activision Blizzard's $18 million settlement in EEOC sexual harassment case becomes official

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: This week, a judge approved an $18 million settlement Activision Blizzard reached with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) last year. It settles one of the multiple sexual harassment lawsuits brought against it for its "frat-boy culture." The company is still on the hook for others as it tries to emerge from a year of scandal and complete its acquisition by Microsoft.

The EEOC was one of several organizations that brought claims against Activision Blizzard last year, accusing the company of sexually harassing and discriminating against its female employees. The $18 million settlement was reached with the commission last September and has now been signed by US District Judge Dale S Fischer, making it official.

The judgment means that anyone who worked at Activision Blizzard since September of 2016 can submit a claim to join the settlement, as long as it relates to sexual harassment or gender discrimination. However, employees who wish to file claims over pay discrimination can alternately join the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) lawsuit, which started last July and is ongoing.

Overlap between the two cases caused some conflict between the two agencies last fall when the DEFH tried to intervene in the EEOC settlement, fearing it would release Activision from the DEFH's case. Judge Fischer disagreed, denying the intervention in January.

Last week, employees opened another sexual harassment lawsuit against Activision Blizzard in the Superior Court of Los Angeles. Even with the official closure of the EEOC case, the company's legal troubles are far from over.

Image credit: Lauren Elisabeth

Permalink to story.

Well TECHSPOT knows what's going to get clicks I guess.
What's sad to me is society has gone so over the top on accusations it's hard to know what's true and what isn't. I can't help but think it's all bs when I see these articles...but who knows.

Well TECHSPOT knows what's going to get clicks I guess.
What's sad to me is society has gone so over the top on accusations it's hard to know what's true and what isn't. I can't help but think it's all bs when I see these articles...but who knows.
Maybe, but tell me one thing. Why the people who are actually inside the company are also echoing the same things?
Victim blaming when there are admission of lapse and well documented history of such behaviour makes you look less than good.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/16...eo-wall-street-journal-wsj-report-allegations

I couldn't possibly care less about the harassment lawsuit. I care about the woke politics placed in the game instead of a nice story. I care that the prices have gone up and the MTX is rampant.
Want a woke game? Fine, just do "Woke of Warcraft" for the Twitter crowd.
Instead, you removed all the funny references or anything the far-left considers "racist" or "sexist", so the nubmer of players is drastically reduced.
Warcraft III's state is disastrous. I returned Diablo II resurrected following the always-online, no LAN, and censorship.
NEVER again will I buy anything from Blizzard following these issues! Not the "harassment" which I couldn't possibly care less of.

Back