Additional Windows OS License for additional XEON CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABAMOTO

As title... I currently have one 2.4 GHz Xeon CPU (Socket 603/604) for my Server. But it is running too slow to handle our accounting program and file sharing.

I intend to add another CPU to the Server (it is a Xeon, so I figure I can have two CPUs to boost up the performance). My question is:

1) I have heard that for Server OS, one CPU needs one license. In this case, will I need to acquire additional license after I equip another CPU?

2) If 1) is true...What to do next? I currently have W2K Server. Can I buy Win 2003 Server instead? Do I need to reinstall Windows..?

3) For CPU, do I have to get 2.4GHz, or I can get another other speed available in the market? Any compatibility issue?

Thank you =)

That would be a negative on the seperate license for the additional processor. Different versions of Windows support different numbers of processors. W2K server supports 4 procs if I remember correctly. You won't have to reinstall windows either - just pop it in and you'll be good to go. You do, however, have to match your processors exactly.

W$K pro server looks for up to 4 cpu's
W$K advanced looks for 8 cpu's
blurb fro MS about hyperthreading
Because Windows 2000 Server does not distinguish between physical and logical processors, Windows 2000 simply fills out the license limit using the first processors counted by the BIOS. For example, consider the system diagrammed in Figure 1. When launching Windows 2000 Server (4-CPU limit) on this system, Windows will use logical processors 1-4
the diagram showed 4 processors with hyperthreading
from this you should be OK
I am running dual xeons with hyperthreading works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back