AdMob: iPhone accounts for 50% of global mobile traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to figures from AdMob, Apple's iPhone now accounts for half or more of the mobile traffic in the US, UK and globally. This is the first monthly mobile ad trends report from AdMob since it agreed to be acquired by Google earlier this month for $750 million in stock.

Apple has reportedly gained 7% from last month's traffic share, now representing 50% of the global pie. Symbian fell from 29% to 25%, while Android took third place, increasing from 10% to 11%. Research In Motion's slice shrunk by 1% to 7%, and Windows Mobile slipped from 5% to 3%.

Apple's share rose by 7.2% to 55% in the US. Meanwhile, Android grew from 17% to 20% (almost entirely from HTC sales), and RIM lost 2%, settling at 12% of the market. Usage of the Palm Pre has also decreased in October, with WebOS's share falling from 10% to 5%.

Similar trends were noticed in the UK, with Apple accounting for 74% of smartphone traffic, a 3% increase on month. Symbian and Android both lost a percentage point, from 12% and 11% in September to 11% and 10% in October.

Permalink to story.

It just goes to show that with a good marketing scheme, an original product and a bit of you become the leader of the market although you're just the new guy in town.

BlindObject said:
I don't get how people like the iPhone so much, texting on that thing is absolutely nightmareish. But oh well.

I have the same problem, my fingers are to big for it :(

I would personally love to have one. I don't much care for apple at all but even I think the things looks really cool. I think they have a really really good advertising campaign going for them with it that helps a lot with these numbers. The price however, is out of my range at the moment for phones.

I love my iphone , i do hate ATT. And what i have found out about the people that bash on the iphone, is that they can't afford one. And they tend to buy something that is a knock off. The only i regret is the damn service from ATT

Apple continues to sell to the masses of people willing to give more money then a product is worth.

Paynetrain007, you do realize that being an Apple troll is possibly even worse than being an Apple fanboy, right?

paynetrain007 said:
"Apple continues to sell to the masses of people willing to give more money then a product is worth."
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic138585.html#post821805

"Maybe we'll start seeing virus's made for Apple computers that are running Windows next.... and the only fix will be to install snow leopard."
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic138512.html#post821134

"Apple is a jerk of a company that can't handle what it puts out. "
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic137323.html#post812840

"fail apple. Every other company that uses Nokia's technology pays them a premium... Why are you so special?"
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic137044.html#post810887

I have anItouch and besides the free $25 gift card I got with it I don't buy anything I just take the free apps. Peoplelove those apps, there simple, cheap, and soemtimes very addiciting and always right in the palm of your hand. Also its smaller than a DS or PSP and its games are way cheaper. Itouch games appeal to childern-adults alike, a win-win.

This number surprised me a bit, I could see cell phones accounting for half of the traffic but iPhones alone shocked me.

I think the that its a good solid product with a good screen and great app support. And the numbers prove that most people think that way too.

It's interesting in that the Iphone accounts for only 18% of the platform sales yet it makes up half of the data traffic. Normally I'd think the platform with the most units out there would have the highest traffic but I guess in this case the Iphone is so dependent on data that it takes a larger share than the competition.

LazyNinja said:
It's interesting in that the Iphone accounts for only 18% of the platform sales yet it makes up half of the data traffic. Normally I'd think the platform with the most units out there would have the highest traffic but I guess in this case the Iphone is so dependent on data that it takes a larger share than the competition.

Good Point, maybe the other platforms are just more Data Efficient than the iPhone. But right now, Id say its really because of the type of people (i.e. the iPhone target market) that actually buy and use the iPhone.

I think that as a media/browsing device the iPhone is better than most other smartphones, largely due to its screen, and that translates to more traffic.

This is great actually, it shows that the Iphone has grown but
has room for more growth, and I have a few IPhone applications in mind for the US,
so I'm taking up Objective-C :)

lol and you wonder why ATT service sucks. they will so crash and burn if iphone ever comes out on other carriers if they dont manage to fix their image.

It's amazing how the iPhone grew to dominate the market. Half a decade ago it seemed like Symbian devices were the biggest craze.

I'm going to get the android when I can. The idea of touch screen is nice, but as a few above have said its not the nicest for texting. In general I don't like apple with the exception of itunes/ipod, only because this was the first mp3 player I owned and I'm so used to it that's what I've been using. I would never get one of their computers, and I most certianly will not buy an overpriced phone from them. I've seen articles for iphone rip offs from japan that sell for $100, and they do the same exact thing, just without the apple logo on it.

I don't understand people.

Have you tried sending a text on it? It's impossible to do without looking at the thing. I like the physical feel of buttons, being able to text whilst doing other things at the same time. iPhone users are screwed if they try sending a text for help when at gunpoint.

They are a ridiculous price too, why go and blow that amount of money on a slab of metal when you can get something that works just as good or better for half the price?

The App adverts are the worst adverts minus Go Compare adverts. I'm a UK citizen and there are about 5 of them on within two hours. They've become boring. They were great at the start, all sleek and new, but now, it's just repetitive.

They all look the same! Well the three same colours, Black, white and silver, you can't distinguish each others device when they're turned off. Ok you can get an etching on the back of it but I don't actually know anyone that has done. Sure you can jailbreak it, make it yours, but when the damn thing is turned off, you have no idea!

I am an Apple fan, I'm a product designer and Apple are a brilliant and smart company, and I do own an iPhone, but I don't use it. How can you upgrade an iPhone? What happens when the battery goes, or you crack the screen. Taking into mind the state of waste at the moment in time, reverse engineering has been taken out the picture completely. My screen on my old phone cracked, I ordered a new one, took apart my phone, fitted the new screen and continued to use it like normal. Sure Apple are doing their bit with the first 'eco-friendly' MacBook, but seriously, the iPhone causes more problems than it's worth.

What I don't understand either is why Sony Ericsson isn't on this list? The majority of my friends own one, I own two. I find their devices to be brilliant, sure their firmware sucks at times and they fail to fix the flaws, but my Sony Ericsson k800i has laster 4 years, and still works without a glitch.

Yeah I rant alot, don't get me wrong, the iPhone was an innovative product and state of the art, but I don't understand how Apple and it's customers have become so blind and ignorant to its faults.

[/rant]

Dan.
http://blogpost.dj23.net

I'm surprised that the iphone is so popular, I had to use my friends the other day, to find train times, and it took what felt like 10 times the effort to get the information compared to my nokia. I think I will stick to buttons rather than touch screen with emulated buttons.

Sony Ericsson isn't posted because I rarely see any of my friends using it to browse the net - They are just not web phones (except perhaps for the new ones, like the Satio, but that one uses Symbian or Android I think).

xclusiveitalian said:
I have anItouch and besides the free $25 gift card I got with it I don't buy anything I just take the free apps. Peoplelove those apps, there simple, cheap, and soemtimes very addiciting and always right in the palm of your hand. Also its smaller than a DS or PSP and its games are way cheaper. Itouch games appeal to childern-adults alike, a win-win.

ye it is, I have a psp and an itouch you know SONY started adding minis "small games" thats what they're called most of the games I've already seen and played on my itouch like feildrunners for example; the cost was exceptionally cheaper in the app store compared to what Apple is selling at but its Nice that android is growing nicely. pretty sure its going to increase next year coming up. Of course the iPhone is dominating

much like an internet user with unlimited bandwidth, you will invariably download a load of "crapware" under the guise of it being useful for the iphone, i prefer nokia phones myself, there just better in my opinion.

Things are going to change very soon. Apple is going to fail completely in China, and android has a bright future there

@ Guest Dan.

I personally do not have one, but my wife does. Using hers I can say that I actually prefer not having buttons as they just take up too much space ont he phone. Sending a txt message while being at gunpoint...yeah I think most people would be a bit too freaked out to worry about txting at that point.

The price, well actually at this point from my personal experience there really isn't much better on the market, although I am rooting for android to take the lead and be the open source king. But you are paying for what you get which is quite a lot.

App adverts, honestly I hadn't even noticed, probably due to the fact that I tune out most adverts but now that you mention it I guess they can be a bit annoying.

Your correct that they all look the same, but so do other models of phones...it's called getting a case, heck I have a case on my Omnia so that I know it's mine at a glance.

I hate apple, but love the iPhone, it is a very well made device in my opionion. Yes you cannot change the battery, but then you generally don't need to. If it does go bad there are very good warranty plans with it so really you shouldn't have to worry too much.

I havn't seen an ericson since 2003, yes your friends may own some, but the general public does not.

Ranting is good, and I am playing devils advocate, however I thought that the iPhone was a crap product from the get go, then my wife got one and I was forced to change my opionion of it. If the Android does not take market capacity and really take off my next mobile will be an iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back