Advertising getting a bit invasive?

Rick

Staff
Banners are cool, pop ups are bearable... But this.. I don't know. What do you guys think?

techspotads

It wiggles, it jiggles and it gets in my way... Extremely annoying!

I understand that advertising strategies are both necessary and tough these days, but this one I have a very low tolerance for.

I generally block advertisements.. Except Techspot ads. Unfortunately, I am going to have to start blocking this site's too. :(

I got a couple of those. Don't like them. But at least you can close those. There are some that you can't close, you just have to wait x number of seconds before they go away (see weather.com and tvguide.com for examples).

yeah, I've seen a few of those, mostly on certain Gamespy sites, like PlanetUnreal. Stupid little dancing chick or something. That's barely even an advertisement!

I mean, yeah, it's nice to see a hot chick dance every now and then but not every single time you visit the site. *sigh*

I haven't seen this, but that might be due to opera blocking it. It is a good thing, because I am afraid I would go nuts if that popped up on my screen.

I haven't seen any of those; not to insult your intelligence or anything Rick, but, where you on another site in a different window or anything like that? Sorry to sound insulting, I don't have the time to rephrase this post to sound more - umm - friendly?

I am very positive my computer is spyware free.. These advertisements do not pop up on any of my other regular pages... This is the 4 variety I've seen so far. I will take more screen shots as they "pop up". That way you guys can experience them too! hehe. :)

techspotads2.jpg

I noticed that popup matches the background banner at the top of the page. I don't get the popup, but this type of intrusive add gets me very annoyed and would stop me visiting a site. I am using Opera 7 and have ZoneAlarm running, maybe that helps, though I have seen similar adds before. Now if only users would not click on these adds then maybe advertisers would stop using them as they wouldn't be cost effective. Its users that click on these types of annoting adds that lead to them being used more and more.:dead:

I just got that advertisement on the main page as well. Honestly, considering that the ad showed for a couple of seconds on my computer it didnt really bother me. I dont think you will be seeing those on every page that you visit unless you have cookies blocked.

I think that zonealarm is blocking it because at my house I had zonealarm working and I had not seen it there. Right now I am at my parents house and I had the honor of seeing it in action. :)

The more I look at it, I think for me at least, it is ZA stopping it, because most of the time the ad at the top of the page doesn't even finish loading. I've got ZA set to block any ad that doesn't load in one second.

I have now experienced one of these ads, I tried to take a screenshot; but with a Microsoft Office Keyboard, I didn't have the time to press "F Lock" in the top left (unreachable) AND then finally press "PrtScn". But the most important thing is that I don't like this type of advertising one bit, it's way too invasive and just plain old WRONG. It makes me much less enthusiastic to browse the TechSpot Forums if I keep getting these ads taking up my screen at 1152*864.

That looks horrible indeed!
I've been away for the last couple of days, time in which this campaign has gone up automatically, thanks for noticing and posting though, I will mail our agency now and let them know TechSpot is unavailable for running these kind of campaigns. I'm looking at things in our end, apparently (I haven't seen the ads myself) Interland has bought some "eyeblaster" space.

Like many of you, I also believe these are extremely annoying and I promise you won't see any of these across TS, we are trying to reduce pops too but like we've discussed before, one or two (max) pops if you browse around shouldn't be way too annoying.
I'm trying to figure out a way to block these eyeblasters right now so you might see them for a few hours still, just about a hundred of these are being shown per day anyway.

My most sincere apologies.

Well, if this is the way it has to be to keep the site going, then I don't mind so much. :)

But if they are just underhanded filler tossed down from your advertising agency, then by all means get rid of them! ;)

Just wanted to let you know that these eyeblaster campaigns have been stopped now and I have prevented from getting anything like those in the future. Thanks for your support!

Back