Advice on buying an AGP 2X card

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt2971

Advice on buying an AGP 4X card

Hi,

I'm currently using an AGP 2X card in my old PIII system. It's a RIVA TNT2 model 64 card with only 32mb RAM.

My motherboard runs at 133mhz max, and supports AGP 4X cards, so I could do with recommendations on which old 4X cards (with as much RAM as possible) that I should be hunting for.

Any ideas?

Perhaps and eVGA e-GeForce 6200 128-256MB. Or if you have the cash an 6800XT, 7300GT-7600GS. All those cards are 256MB. If you have 200 bucks to slam on old PC a 7800GS these are great but are like 300 Dollars. So look for something good like a 6800.

For a pentium 3 anything in the 6-7000 range is a far overkill. You'd do fine with a GeForce 3 card of some sort.

matt2971 said:
Hi,

I'm currently using an AGP 2X card in my old PIII system. It's a RIVA TNT2 model 64 card with only 32mb RAM.

My motherboard runs at 133mhz max, and supports AGP 4X cards, so I could do with recommendations on which old 4X cards (with as much RAM as possible) that I should be hunting for.

Any ideas?

Geforce3 Ti200 has 64MB of RAM and if you can find the Ti500 is has 128MB of RAM they handle up to 4X Speeds. I have the Geforce3 Ti200 AGP 4x 64MB of RAM It can be overclock using CoolBits trick. I have it set to 240 Mhz over 500MHz. You could go higher by placing a cooling fan over the heatsink. I had picked up this card at a Computer Fair for $15 bucks. I know it's available online.

Or you can get Geforce4 MX 4000 AGP 8X 128MB DDR from Compusa with their logo on the box. That card will do AGP 4X and 8X it doesn't say that on the box but inside it said it. Their cards dome with everything you need the card also has S-Video output with TV Hardware Decoder.

tipstir - correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a conneseuir on vid cards. But I thought the GF4MX was pretty much a GF2 with some minor tweaks, and that a good GF3, like a Ti 500, outperforms it in most things. I could probably check for sure, but I'm not that concerned.

Edit: This is where I got that idea: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4
Man that makes me feel old around here, that was the 4th thread on these forums (after the Jawbreaker switch) and I remembered it. Perhaps they changed the GF4 line since then.

SNGX1275 said:
For a pentium 3 anything in the 6-7000 range is a far overkill. You'd do fine with a GeForce 3 card of some sort.

2nd that. at that point its the system not the graphics that will slow things down.... maybe an nvidia 5900 ultra or something

Ebay

As somone said a few posts up, ebay is full AGP cards...

My suggestion is to get a Geforce 4 Ti4200 a lot were made in 4x but the 8x ones are still backwards compatable.

You can find them all over ebay for around $25

JimShady23 said:
As somone said a few posts up, ebay is full AGP cards...

My suggestion is to get a Geforce 4 Ti4200 a lot were made in 4x but the 8x ones are still backwards compatable.

You can find them all over ebay for around $25
Umm not really. My friend still has his old Ti4200 and on the box it says "AGP 8x only". There are two versions, one is AGP 4x/8x and one is only 8x compatible. But yes, they are very cheap and quite sturdy cards.

Personally for a system like that I would use a Radeon 9000 series card. The 9200 would a good choice since the other hardware would hinder most faster cards. If you can get one cheep enough a 9600 or 9700 would also be good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back