Advice setting up a Home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzz617

I plan on setting up a network at home. It is to be used for playing online games via my PS3 and eventually XBOX360 Elite then PC.

I intend on using over 5 PC's but they do not need to be able to share printers or files etc. They just need to be able to go online and download files esp torrents at a decent rate possible using comcast. I do not have any legit virus protection so I am also looking for help in that area. I have AVG installed on one PC but I heard that Mcafee has one where you can allow exceptions on your network through MAC address so I am looking forward to assistance with that.

Looking to spend about $300 Max on Virus protection, Wireless router(s) and/or switch and Firewall protection. Can anyone help out with advice? The Firewall is for added security if I am correct???

Thanks!!!

Thanks, I know the basics in setting up, i have comcast at my current location-d link wifi router. I am moving and want to set up a new network but IDK if i should use a firewall wifi router or not???

Aside from my sisters PC I'd like to have a small hook up in my room with about 3-4 computers, ima buy a KVM switch and IDK what wifi or wired routers to buy..?

thxx

Your router usually acts as a firewall usless you turn the firewall feature off. There are many free software firewalls that are just as good as the ones you'd pay for. If you plan to play games over your shared internet connection ( you won't have a network unless you set up Windows to share printers and files etc etc) then I'd wire all the machines to the router. Even with a great wireless connection you'll still get many dropped packets and induced lag. Bittorrents and gaming don't usually go together. Downloading a bittorrent and gaming at the same time causes my router to induce lag of up to 1500ms (a second and a half lag) that kills my chances for having a good time in game. My router induces the lag because my computer is always sending out file requests and may have as many as forty computers trying to download/upload to/from me at any one time. My router can't easily handle any more than four or five computers connected from the internet side constantly requesting or sending tiny bits of torrent without drastically slowing down. Comcast isn't bittorrent friendly. I get between 12MB -13MB download speed with Comcast but I average about 6KB a second when downloading a torrent.

Running a computer connected to the Internet without a firewall is like NEVER changing
the oil in your car's engine --
It's only a matter of time before you regret the decision!

Even the default MS firewall is better than nothing.

OEM firewalls however, are more flexible and can be tailored to your needs.

I know gaming and DL torrents do not go well. Heck surfingn and DL torrents dont work well either. I like to either game or download one or the other. I intend on having three-four PC's wired to a router. But if i want a switch, i run that from the router right? It should be the Comcast modem-Wifi router-switch and in between the wifi router and/or after comes the pc's if I am right? Thing is which is better to have the PC's connected to the wifi router or a switch? The connection I have now I use AVG on one machine and the other one I constantly restore but IDK I am always getting viruses on that one but yet I never do anything too personal such as buying things online anyhow so I think I'll be good until I make the move.

What should I buy as far as internet security, spyware protection and antivirus??? I have a gaming rig i still have not put together and want to protect that to its max potential so I dont have to do a rebuild on it.

I need some recommendations as far as spyware, antivirus and internet security go. As well as suggestions for a Wifi router and or switches. I'd like to connect my PS3 wirelessly but yet have the option to do it wired. Plus the XBOXelite once i get everything going.

Edit** I care less about printing and all that as i can do it @ work and save myself some cash lmao

I have been very happy with AVG (free), SD Spybot (free), and SpySweeper (annual fee of around $30 or so). I used to also use AdAware (free) but I do not feel it is necessary any more with the other three on a machine.

PC Tools Firewall Plus (freeware) does an excellent job
NOD32 works wonders, but just for AV version
Spyware Terminator (freeware) works best
Spyware Blaster is for the browsers IE, Firefox
Ad muncher is another champ to the defense market

Those that are not freeware you can try them out, Ad muncher recovers wasted bandwidth from ad and other crap when you browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back