Afd.sys can't start on Windows 7

Hi all,
I just had an automatic windows update which restarted my laptop (without my consent!) and since then, the internet connection on that PC is dead. The HTTP service can't start, the spooler for printer neither, so all installed printers have disappeared.
The update log shows that afd.sys has been replaced and doesn't start anymore hence the problems.

I've searched the internet for solutions and apparently afd.sys corruption seems to be a rather common problme. I tried this
Code:
sfc /scannow
the command stopped at 78% completion and in the log file, I find this
Code:
Cannot repair member file [l:14{7}]"afd.sys" of Microsoft-Windows-Winsock-Core, Version = 6.1.7600.16802, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked

I've retrieved an original afd.sys from the installation CD (by decompressing it from the cd's file "Install.vim"), replaced c:\windows\system32\drivers\afd.sys with it and restarted.
But afd.sys doesn't load and a new sfc /scannow yields the same error (stop at 78% completion, & same error message).

Can anyone help me please ? I wouldn't like to reinstall all.

My config :
  • Compaq Presario C700
  • Windows 7 professional
  • Can't find any bloody Windows backup or restore file for my laptop (I usually backup by mirroring my files)

"I usually backup by mirroring my files"

Mirroring is a RAID term... When you say " I've desactivated all auto-upgrade, protection, firewall... services", exactly what are these?

Mirroring is a RAID term... When you say " I've desactivated all auto-upgrade, protection, firewall... services", exactly what are these?
They are security options in the System configuration menu : Windows Update, firewall and in the Microsoft Security Esential option : Window defender & Antivirus protection. I have them in "desactivated" mode.

Back