after the Contest

SleeperDC

anyone else notice the post drop?? :eek:
was it always like this before the contest?

one of the reason i am here was because of the contest, but i am going to stay in this great little place:grinthumb, here's way better than those BIG forums like [H].

with 600+ members, the word game shouldn't be the only thread that goes long :(

Yeah sleepy, I noticed it too, I made comment on it last week. It is inevitable but I came because of the contest and am staying because these are by far the best forums I have ever read or participated in !!

It was actually worse before the contest... we gained members from the contest and didn't lose any I don't think. Also things were slow in Feburary because people that are "regulars" but only post every once in a while maybe missed a week or 2 because of the change to vBullitin from Jawbreaker.

I'm really not sure what's wrong with TS visitors (heh, I was waiting to say this all day long, though the "official" announcement will come later) but what I can tell is that TS receives over 15k unique readers a day and I can't get more people to get regular in here. Some smaller sites have far less traffic and have busier forums, anyway don't get me wrong because I'm not complaining AT ALL, it's just weird :confused:

I was thinking... maybe the best way of promoting the forums is no promotion at all? Hmm... who knows, maybe some sort of small permanent giveaway, like T-shirts or something like that?

What do you think?

I use to be a regular and been around since Dec 2000 but recently I have been busy over the last couple months unforunately....

ss1.

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
I'm really not sure what's wrong with TS visitors (heh, I was waiting to say this all day long, though the "official" announcement will come later) but what I can tell is that TS receives over 15k unique readers a day and I can't get more people to get regular in here. Some smaller sites have far less traffic and have busier forums, anyway don't get me wrong because I'm not complaining AT ALL, it's just weird :confused:

I was thinking... maybe the best way of promoting the forums is no promotion at all? Hmm... who knows, maybe some sort of small permanent giveaway, like T-shirts or something like that?

What do you think?

3dspotlight is a good site a can tell :grinthumb
and i really can't see why no one come to the forum.
i think giveaway won't may any change, like the last P4 giveaway, didn't gain any active member at all.
we should think of something else. :rolleyes: :D

Julio, does 3dspotlight, or techspot sell shirts? I wouldnt mind something like that...have u guys ever considered producing them?

Originally posted by SleeperDC
like the last P4 giveaway, didn't gain any active member at all.
we should think of something else. :rolleyes: :D
Err... I disagree.
Boeingfixer
SuperCheetah
erwin1978
haha sorry those are only ones I can remember right now - I dont' have time to remember them all now I've got to get back to studying. Wish today was a 36 hour day...

Originally posted by SNGX1275

Err... I disagree.
Boeingfixer
SuperCheetah
erwin1978
haha sorry those are only ones I can remember right now - I dont' have time to remember them all now I've got to get back to studying. Wish today was a 36 hour day...

oooops..sorry.

but i mean, compare to all those new members, only a few comes back after the contest.

I think I will try contacting some of the companies looking for partnerships for making website shirts and souvenirs, I will also try running a new poll on the frontpage to see what kind of response we get about that.

Maybe if we allowed Human Sacrifices, all of Mic's worshipers would come by.:)

Actually it's not mentioned anywhere in the TOS. I should see Mic about this...

yeh, this usually happens after 3ds holds a contest. not sure why those people dont stay. dont they realize how coo the forums are? i mean, i'm not a computer dude or anything, and i been here for 2 years! that's how good 3ds... er... ts is! :D

i miss the old name already... it'll take some time for me to adjust to the new name.... i'll savor the old logo located on the front page on the bottom-right below the rydium and counted links until julio changes it. ;)

as for new ideas on increasing visitors.... uh... dunno. if you goto any other tech/pc forums or whatever, you could have a 3ds.... uh... ts link/logo in yer sig... hmm... kind of a spammy idea... so nevamind.

I came here for the contest, but now I am staying because it gives me something to do whilst I'm supposed to be working at College :D

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
I came here for the contest, but now I am staying because it gives me something to do whilst I'm supposed to be working at College :D

It seems we get 3-4 new people after every contest... Which isn't all that much, but ...

I guess for people to stay here, they either have to get to know the place, not just hunt for posts to answer,and thus win something, or find some topics which they are really interested in, which are discussed here (and thus getting to know this place...)

I know I came for a contest, and stayed, but that had much todo with the fact that I didn't have much else to do in my life at that point... But luckily for me, that has changed, though I'm still here, and guess I'll be here for quite a while longer :)

Originally posted by SleeperDC
post drop..... like this before the contest?
Happens every time. Contest periods are crazy. The mods are worn out. But staff now has time to devout to articles, guides, tweaks, reviews etc.

I've suggest the contest be an ongoing unannounced reward, but it has to do w/ that sponsorship thing.

I must admit, this is the first forum I have contributed to, mainly because of the great atmosphere here (If you can call my posts a contribution ;) ). I did post a bit more at first because of the competition, but soon realised I was out of my depth. I'm definately going to hang around, but mainly because of the other members, not because I think I might win a prize in the future. If any1 has a J, can u pass it in my direction.....

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
I was thinking... maybe the best way of promoting the forums is no promotion at all?
I agree.

Originally posted by Didou
Maybe if we allowed Human Sacrifices, all of Mic's worshipers would come by.:)

Actually it's not mentioned anywhere in the TOS. I should see Mic about this...
Haven't seen many.. they'd post only once, I think ;)

Re: Re: after the Contest

Originally posted by uncleel

...But staff now has time to devout to articles, guides, tweaks, reviews etc.

I've suggest the contest be an ongoing unannounced reward, but it has to do w/ that sponsorship thing.

site admin can choose a few of us to be mods for the forums. (ofcoz someone they trust)
and i don't think keeping an eye on the forum will make them too busy to write articles, tweaks, etc
;)

How many wants this forum to be filled with thousands of posts? Should this be like [H]ard|Forum? What happened to that "quality, not quantity" thing that was encouraged during contest?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
What happened to that "quality, not quantity" thing that was encouraged during contest?

Still the basis of the forum... It would just be fun to have a bit more activity here...

I remember a time when new people showed up, asked Q's, stuck around for a little while then left/started to lurk...

And that is what we need.... More people showing up, asking Q's, then hanging around after it's been answered...

If we get a bit more quantity posts than before, so be it... Though we should still keep the moderation level at what it's at...

.02$

I know I haven't been posting too much. Trust me, it's not because of the contest, rather because track practice is becoming a later and later occurence, and I'm often too tired from the workouts we do to get any web surfing in. Most of the time I just hang out in IRC, and mainly get ready for the next day...
Track's over after state, and it's in a couple weeks, so after that I'll be back up just fine :)

P.S.- Julio, update your sig man! It still says 3DSpotlight :p

Here's an idea. What if for every game tweak guide that came out, there would be a mini contest ( during a week or even less ) where you could win a copy of the game.

You could finish the tweak guide by "Your gaming experience should now be greatly improved with better visuals, audio & hopefully minimal performance loss. Now enter the forums and get a chance to win a copy of the game !!!"

Here's an idea. What if for every game tweak guide that came out, there would be a mini contest ( during a week or even less ) where you could win a copy of the game.

You could finish the tweak guide by "Your gaming experience should now be greatly improved with better visuals, audio & hopefully minimal performance loss. Now enter the forums and get a chance to win a copy of the game !!!"

this is a great idea!!!! :grinthumb :grinthumb

but how to win the game in the forum?:confused:

Why would random vistors read a game tweak guide if they don't already own the game....? :confused:

Originally posted by Arris

Why would random vistors read a game tweak guide if they don't already own the game....? :confused:

I've had that thought after posting it. Let's say it would be a way to celebrate the release of a new tweak guide. Other sites could link to it.

It might get people to stick around too. If every two month there's a game to win during one week, it could increase visits in a long term way.

Back