AGP Nvidia card

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh really?

i thought it was the 7800gs..but its quite amusing that agp is inferior to pci-e yet they cost about the same or even higher :(

My motherboard (an Athlon 3200+ XP MSI system) does every thing I need so far. There aren't any real games out there that can justify a new system for me. But the XF5500 card I got is starting to get a little long in the tooth.

blue_dragon said:
i thought it was the 7800gs..but its quite amusing that agp is inferior to pci-e yet they cost about the same or even higher :(
it's true that AGP is the old standard, but that doesn't make the cards any cheaper to produce.

also, many people still run AGP systems so there is still a big demand for them.

in fact the older the interface gets, if the demand is still there then they may become even more expensive.

look how expensive PC100/PC133 SDRAM sticks are now?

Get it quick, they will go out of stock. IBM stoped making the PCI-E to AGP bridge chip for Nvidia.

they haven't stopped making them yet, they have just announced they eventually will (they have to fulfill their contract requirements).

It's not like IBM was the only company that had the ability to produce them. there are probably companies fighting over the contract as we speak :)

According to Hard OCP revies the 7800GS doesnt perform that much better than a 6800 Ultra so If you're looking for an AGP card get the 6800 Ultra. You can get them on Ebay for under $200.

blue_dragon said:

I know this is a little off-topic, but permit me to say just this little bit concerning AGP and PCI-Express...

AGP might be an older or a previous technology, its not necessarily "inferior," per se. Although i do believe that in the future, PCI-E will be utilized to perform better than AGP ever did, right now there isnt much difference in performance, only the option of using two graphics cards with (Nvidia) SLI or (ATI) Crossfire. Most benchmarks record about 7 fps boost at most, or at leats that i have seen. On the ati radeon x1600 for example there is barely 1 fps difference....

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/14/radeon_x1600_pro/page9.html

Gainward 512mb GeForce 7800 GS Golden

Apparently its got the extra pixel pipelines unlocked, so runs just as good as a PCI-E GTX.

I wouldnt doubt it'd need a monster power supply though...

Extremely attractive price, too, only $579AU from my local wholesaler

I agree with the guys above. The 7800GS is the best AGP card out there. SM3 and other new stuff is supported by it.

Just make sure your power supply can handle the increased load!

Good deal .... is there a particular 7800GS brand card that rates well above the others? I don't overclock and don't intend to.

if you get an evga, and get a pci e board they have a step up program where they pay retial price for your 7800gs(300) and say you want the 7900gtx ((450) you can pay 150 + your card for a new better more expensive card

the step up mustr be sumbitted within 90 days of the invoice

http://www.evga.com/stepup/

hmmm looks good. I have a bill me later account - so this might work out great.
thanks

I noticed you're in Juarez. I was stationed in El Paso 3 times at Fort Bliss.
Love it there.

Tedster said:
I noticed you're in Juarez. I was stationed in El Paso 3 times at Fort Bliss.
Love it there.

Yeah, I like to go to shopping to El Paso. Good city. I have a cousin who is in Fort Bliss too. They were trying to move him to Lubbock for no aparent reason, but he doesn`t like the tornadoes! :unch: :dead:

It should be a good card. Good branded, powerful VGA card.

Nice choice Tedster! I`m very sure you`ll love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back