AGP Radeon 9550 code 12, "ati driver is not installed correctly", using e-machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, I'm at my wits end.

In the device manager, there are two entries for the video card, one being called secondary. The primary one has a code 12.

When I load up Windows, and the ATI control panel goes to load, it gives me an error saying that the driver is either not installed or not installed correctly and then proceeds to close.

I have disabled the onboard video in safe mode, uninstalled the onboard video drivers, as well as uninstalled and reinstalled the ATI drivers about a million different times in a million different ways.

According to e-machines tech support, you can't disable onboard video in the BIOS.

ATI tech support told me that I needed to upgrade my BIOS (and that this problem was common on e-machines) but then e-machines proceeded to tell me that there was not a BIOS update available for my machine. :)

So one big resounding WTF from me.

As for my specs, I am not entirely sure how to give them to you, but here is a link to my particular model on e-machines website.

I recently upped the RAM to 768MB.

At this point I am just wondering if I ought to save up my money for a better machine.

Here is just a copy/paste from the e-machines website itself.

- AMD Athlon™ XP processor 2200+ (1.800 GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
- VIA KM 266
- 256 MB DDR (PC2100) (upgraded to 768MB)
- 60 GB HDD 1
- 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
- S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
- AC '97 Audio
- 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
- 56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
- 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, 3 PCI slots (2 available)

Motherboard Name: FIC AM37 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

according to your specs you have only one video adapter. either you left it out of your list, are no aware of it, or the problem lies with your OS. look on the back panel of your box. how many 15-pin female (blue in color) d-sub connectors are visible? are there any 20-pin square white DVI connectors? if so, where are they mounted relative to each other?

Actually, I found a solution to my problem. A rather ridiculous thing, if you ask me. :mad:

I am afraid to pursue this solution, but it seems that for two people with the same problem as I (both with e-machines, both with different models) that this solution worked.

So I suppose I could try it and pray to the Lord Above for good results. :(

http://www.monmouth.com/~fah/saga.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back