AGP slot not 4x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giantman47

I just got a mobo called EliteGroup K7vta3 VIA chipset. its showed that it had a 4x agp slot. i thought i could run my newly bought Radeon x700. when i put the card in i got no video signal on my monitor. i had power going to the card an everything. i uninstalled the other video card witch was a PCI Geforce FX 5200. i switch the bios from PCI to AGP. still didnt work. i went into the BIOs an found the switch for turning it from 2x to 4x yet 4x wasnt there. was i a victum of false adverntising or is there some update to get that 4x to show?

thanks

Welcome to TechSpot!
Are u sure the X700 is an AGP one? And what do u mean by a PCI FX5200? If u try to force ur X700 into the PCI slot it will damage the mobo. Explain more thoroughly so we can help u here.

Rage_3k : Pretty sure this is what he means by pci5200

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_2958740/111601.html

Giantman: 4x isn't there, or is it greyed out?

Is there a choice for AGP voltage as well?, perhaps that needs adjusting.

One thing to try is:

1. remove your agp vid card.
2. replace pci vid card
3. uninstall drivers for pci vid card
4. power down computer
5. remove pci vid card
6. install agp vid card
7. (pray for video)
8. install agp vid card drivers

Dumb question but is the monitor cable connected to the AGP card instead of the PCI one? Otherwise try everything suggested above. And LesterofPups, thanks for the clarification.

i already removed the pci card. what i meant by it was my former card was PCI. i went into bios an changed it from PCI boot to AGP boot.
the chose for 4x in bios isnt there. but in the mobo manual it says it should be there. what does this mean? i get no video when i put in the x700. yes it is a 4x/8x card.

Did u wait for a while when u turn it on? My old PC used to take some time for the video output to appear on the screen. Otherwise, my best guess is that ur PSU isn't providing enough juice to the card. Try installing a bigger one if u have it and see what happens.
As for the AGP setting, it probably needs updated drivers. Download them and uninstall the old ones before installing the new ones. It should fix ur problem.

Yes it could be a voltage problem. Some cards and mobos don't work well with each other because the agp slot's voltage isnt rated right. Happened with my Soyo mobo and geforce 5700 ultra card. Soyo said I could run 8x cards but did not mention that the they could only be cards of a certain voltage. I had to dig on the net to find that out and then adjust my bios to 4x. :(

thanks for the info. i am currently running a 300watt Power supply witch i dont think is powerfull anothe. ill try getting a 400watt? also ive looked every were for a Driver up date for my AGP slot. anyone know were i can get a driver for a VIA chipset K7VTA3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back