Akasa launches fanless Newton V NUC chassis

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fanless intel nuc intel

Compatible components for Intel’s Next Unit of Computing (NUC) are slowly starting to take root as the small form factor standard gains market share. Akasa’s latest NUC chassis – the Newton V – is a perfect example of this as the innovative fanless design more resembles a car stereo amplifier than a full-fledged computer case.

The 2.1-pound chassis was first shown off during Computex back in June. It measures 5.9 inches x 5.9 inches x 1.8 inches and may seem a bit heavy for an all-aluminum design but it’s important to remember that it’s essentially one giant passive heatsink.

fanless intel nuc intel

It’s designed to work in conjunction with Intel’s D53427RKE motherboard, a barebones unit that includes a soldered-on Core i5-3427U dual-core processor clocked at 1.8GHz. The board supports up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM and carries an HDMI port, two mini DisplayPort connectors and a Gigabit LAN connection. Physical expansion slots include a PCI Express Half-Mini Card connector and a PCI Express Full-Mini Card connector, we’re told.

Elsewhere, the Newton V includes front-facing USB 3.0 connectivity. Thunderbolt support is out of the question, however, as these NUC boards from Intel don’t support the high-speed interface.

The case can act as a standard tabletop unit or can alternately be mounted on a wall or out of sight using a VESA mount. One could even attach the system to the backside of their monitor for an all-in-one type solution or tuck the unit away behind a television for HTPC usage.

Akasa hasn’t released pricing information on the Newton V just yet but with any luck, it’ll be comparable to other solutions already on the market.

Permalink to story.

Has anyone ever heard of the Newton I, II, III & IV?. It reminds me of the time I invented & tried to market a fizzy soda. I called the 1st attempt 1up and tried unsuccessfully a further 6 times. My final attempt was called 6up then I gave up. Maybe I shouldn't have.:)

Back