Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's military Twitch ban voted down by House of Representatives

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's attempt to ban the US military from recruiting on Twitch has failed. The US Representative's proposed amendment to the House Appropriations bill would have prevented the military from using funds to "maintain a presence on Twitch.com or any video game, esports, or live-streaming platform."

Speaking on the House Floor before yesterday's vote, AOC said: "Children should not be targeted in general for many marketing purposes in addition to military service. Right now, currently, children on platforms such as Twitch are bombarded with banner ads linked to recruitment signup forms that can be submitted by children as young as 12 years old. These are not education outreach programs for the military."

The amendment failed after 292 voted against it, with 126 in favor. The majority of those opposing the bill were Republicans (188), though 103 Democrats and one Independent also voted against the changes.

Posing on Twitter after the vote, AOC wrote: "It's totally fine if you don't know what Twitch is," she wrote. "But tech literary is becoming a growing need in Congress so we can legislate to protect people's privacy."

The US Army's Twitch activities have been plagued with controversy recently. The streaming site was forced to step in when the channel ran a fake competition to win an Xbox Elite Series 2 controller that was just a link to a recruitment form. It's also been accused of violating viewers' First Amendment rights by banning users who asked about the Army's favorite war crimes.

While the Army, Navy, and Air Force all have their own esports teams and Twitch channels, the Marines haven't been as eager to join in. "This is due in part to the belief that the brand and issues associated with combat are too serious to be "gamified" in a responsible manner."

The Army had already paused its social activity, streaming on Twitch, and official activations with Twitch following the recent criticism. The military branch told Gamespot it would "review internal policies and procedures, as well as all platform-specific policies, to ensure those participating in the space are clear before streaming resumes." Some expect the Army will not resume its esports/streaming activities until spring 2021.

Permalink to story.

Well, this was coming. A good politician should have the foresight of what he/she is up against, and rally up sufficient support before making the final move. And Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's appears to be all about just good intentions, and not so much follow-through. More than 2/1 defeat is a testament to that.

Last edited:
AOC has some good idea's but just because she has an idea doesn't guarantee it's good. She is old enough and should be wise enough to understand the importance of recruiting as well as the hurdles that the armed services are up against. Perhaps if she did a stint in the military she would have a better understanding but I'm starting to realize she is more of a "do as I say, not as I do" person and if she keeps it up it may be her un-doing.

Occasional-Cortex is just doing what her handlers expect from her. If something makes sense or even has a chance to pass is not that important. However, the USA has a volunteer military and if the volunteers don’t enlist them we will have a mandatory military service. The resentment that that would engender is the actual goal of her policy but it is not what she will come out and tell you. Subversives always hide their intentions behind the facade of helping the poor, the children, those without eyelids, etc...

Once again AOC proves just how much of an idi0t she is. If you go into her supposed area that she represents she's not well liked at all. Some suggest that she's actually guilty of campaign finance fraud since most of her campaign money didn't come from the areas that she represented which, if you ask me, is a big no-no.

AOC, nothing more than an SJW blow-hard that doesn't know jack squat about how the real-world works. Someone should tell her that if people don't become soldiers, her head would be the first on a pike when some other nation decides to run on in to take over the place. Land of the free because of the brave.

The Dems and the press are trying hard to groom her to be the next Obama. Obama proved that a hard-left, one-term senator who'd never worked in the private sector could be President if he had the media and Soros campaigning for him. Of course being able to play the race card at any time also helped a lot and hers isn't quite as valuable as his was.

Ah yes, George Soros... public enemy number one to anyone who values even an ounce of freedom. He's been working for years to topple the United States for we're the last nation standing in his way of implementing one gigantic worldwide fascist state with his goons in control.

Why do you think the Dems want to take Trump down so badly? Because the Dems are in Soros' pocket and Trump is standing in the way.

She's making her final gasps before she's defeated in November, her own district hates her. Her track record in helping them is she forced Amazon to pull out and take 12,000 jobs. She has attacked the company supplying a large portion of the food in the food banks, and now has the Hispanic community in general up in arms agasint her. She was never qualified, her only experience was pouring drinks, she's never run anything except her mouth.

She's making her final gasps before she's defeated in November, her own district hates her. Her track record in helping them is she forced Amazon to pull out and take 12,000 jobs. She has attacked the company supplying a large portion of the food in the food banks, and now has the Hispanic community in general up in arms agasint her. She was never qualified, her only experience was pouring drinks, she's never run anything except her mouth.

This place and it's sources argue against that opinion:

https://ballotpedia.org/New_York's_14th_Congressional_District_election,_2020

Well, this was coming. A good politician should have the foresight of what he/she is up against, and rally up sufficient support before making the final move. And Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's appears to be all about just good intentions, and not so much follow-through. More than 2/1 defeat is a testament to that.

at least she's doing SOMETHING, instead of most people who just sit back in their armchairs and criticize.

And props to the Marines for not supporting this, standards still count for something in that service. "The few, the proud, the Marines" would not exactly resonate with video gamers who are anything but "few or proud". If sitting at home and playing video games most of the time reflects what you do, you wouldn't last a week in the Marines.

Why am I not surprised there are so many leftists here.

stop being so polarizing. There is a huge contingent of people that are moderate; they're liberal on some things and conservative on others... stop trying to portray us as a nation of extremists of "leftists" and "rightists". It's just childish.

stop being so polarizing. There is a huge contingent of people that are moderate; they're liberal on some things and conservative on others... stop trying to portray us as a nation of extremists of "leftists" and "rightists". It's just childish.
I'm not a partisan or ideologue at all and so those mindsets trigger tf outta me and I see them all over where I live. Feels a lot like the tribal states of America to me tbh.

This is the same lady that claimed Trump built the cages for the illegals but later was proved it was actually Obama lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back