All-you-can-eat: EA to launch premium Origin Access subscription next week

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Electronic Arts revealed Origin Access Premier — a new top-tier for its Origin Access gaming subscription service — at the last E3. During the company's recent quarterly earnings call, CFO Blake Jorgensen revealed some more details about the plan: it will go live on Monday, July 30 and cost $14.99 a month or $99.99 a year.

Origin Access launched two years ago, letting players try a selection of games from EA’s back catalog for $4.99 per month or $29.99 per year. The service gives players access to EA’s growing back catalog of PC games, called The Vault, as well as ‘Play First’ trials and 10 percent off Origin Store purchases. But most of the games on offer are pretty old, think Crysis 3 and Sims 4, with the occasional newer title such as Mass Effect: Andromeda making the odd appearance.

With the introduction of Origin Access Premier next week, current Origin Access accounts will be renamed as Basic, though that’s the extent of their changes. As you would expect, the more expensive premium tier brings extra benefits. In addition to receiving all the same perks as the Basic account, Premier subscribers will be able to download every new EA game five days before they are officially released.

The service is similar to what Microsoft offers with its Xbox Game pass, which gives users launch day access to all its first-party titles — something that many retailers weren’t happy about.

While some people may balk at the idea of never actually owning these games, it’s a cheaper option for EA fans who regularly buy the latest releases from the company’s popular franchises, such as FIFA and Madden.

Permalink to story.

Premier subscribers will be able to download every new EA game five days before they are officially released
Do you still have to buy them? Or will you have access to them through the subscription? Not sure if it's my non-native English reading comprehension or it's really not clear in the article at all...

I don't know, how many games EA release a year? In 2017 they released 7 games, 4 of them were sports games, 1 need for speed, SWB2 and mass effect. If you like them all it's definitely cheaper to get the subscription than to buy each of them for $60, plus expansions, I would say that's definitely cheap. If you really love one, you can get them a year later in a sale right? And still get your BBfB.

However if you only want it to play the latest BF or whatnot... I would say heck no.

On the other hand, for parents this would be awesome, one fee and your kids can go nuts playing whatever they want to play.

Depending on your scenario it does not look a bad option (I'm assuming you are getting the whole library of games for the fee).

Premier subscribers will be able to download every new EA game five days before they are officially released
Do you still have to buy them? Or will you have access to them through the subscription? Not sure if it's my non-native English reading comprehension or it's really not clear in the article at all...

I don't know, how many games EA release a year? In 2017 they released 7 games, 4 of them were sports games, 1 need for speed, SWB2 and mass effect. If you like them all it's definitely cheaper to get the subscription than to buy each of them for $60, plus expansions, I would say that's definitely cheap. If you really love one, you can get them a year later in a sale right? And still get your BBfB.

However if you only want it to play the latest BF or whatnot... I would say heck no.

On the other hand, for parents this would be awesome, one fee and your kids can go nuts playing whatever they want to play.

Depending on your scenario it does not look a bad option (I'm assuming you are getting the whole library of games for the fee).

Yeah, I guess new games are not included so it is suitable for fans of EA. Criticaly viewed, the Origin store is rather empty - only few interesting titles based on my preferences.

EA Fans? Is there such a thing? Getting serious now, the only little I would invest from EA for now is Anthem... but it still overpriced. Maybe when it gets to 40$ and don't turn into the second coming of Andromeda, then I may buy it.

I enjoy origin access, $30 a year to play the crappy nfs games is a lot better then swallowing there retail price and even early sale prices. Also lets me play games I was meh about at launch (BF1) and you get acess to most of EA's best, which only own around half of. The free trials are nice on launch games, funnily enough having the trial on BF1 was what made me not buy it.

Last edited:
Eventually they won't even sell the games eventually, and you'll have to pay for their crappy subscription.

Flippin' hate EA, and it gets worse every year. Their marketing department mucks everything up and ruins games that can generally be pure awesome down to mediocre games with nice graphics.

Or one can do what I'm going to do and pay for one month then try the games out and see if I will play them for more then a mont and decide if I want the service or just pay for the game. I like what they are doing

Last edited:
Eventually they won't even sell the games eventually, and you'll have to pay for their crappy subscription.

Flippin' hate EA, and it gets worse every year. Their marketing department mucks everything up and ruins games that can generally be pure awesome down to mediocre games with nice graphics.

Unless they tell us different the model will probably work like other all access programs and only allow you to have full access while you are subscribed. Once you unsubscribe from the service you wont have full access to them unless you have previously purchased it.

Edit: Found the answer to my question
Premium will give you unlimited access to all new games as long as you are a premium member. So you get 5-day early access, but you keep access to it when it gets released provided you keep up your premium membership. At any time, you can cancel your membership, but you lose access to any games you played while you were a member. However, if you do decide to cancel, you can buy any game for 10% off the current price (including 10% off sale price), and then own it permanently. So for 100 bucks a year, you can play the entire EA catalogue, including all DLC, for as long as you want to keep paying the 100 bucks a year.

Last edited:
WTF Not even a full week ffs lol are they joking ?? this must be a joke what ***** would pay for getting access five days early to be honest I wouldn't pay for a month extra all they wan't is testers to debug a "Finished" product which they should have fixed before it comes out and we all know about EA and buggy games ...

WTF Not even a full week ffs lol are they joking ?? this must be a joke what ***** would pay for getting access five days early to be honest I wouldn't pay for a month extra all they wan't is testers to debug a "Finished" product which they should have fixed before it comes out and we all know about EA and buggy games ...

It's ok man chill out. You pay for a full year you get to play the games 5 days early plus for as long you are subscribed. This might help you understand. I want to play Anthem, Madden plus BFV. But rather not spend $270.ca to buy them only to play them for a few months or a year. So I subscribe for one year for $120.ca and play them. Say If I really like anthem I just buy it down the road when on sale. say $40.ca then cancel my origin premium pass subscription. And only play that game. Or I like all the games and just play them with the Pass. Plus whatever EA games come down the road

The article title is misleading as you are paying to get early access but you can also play all their latest releases while you are subscribed, so if you plan on buying 1 or 2 games a year from them anyway you definitely will want to subscribe, I think this is a great deal for people who play 2 or more of their games, battlefield, star wars, anthem, mass effect etc.

Back