Almost everyone wins in the business of selling used smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Most people purchasing a new smartphone these days have a decision to make regarding the handset they are replacing. Years ago, phones often ended up as hand-me-downs or got tossed in a junk drawer to deal with later. Nowadays, carriers and device makers want them back and they're using attractive promotions to convince shoppers to hand them over. Why are they so interested in getting them back, you ask? Unsurprisingly, it all comes down to money.

The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern recently asked major carriers and smartphone manufacturers about their trade-in businesses, but none were forthcoming with details. She ultimately found a third-party company called U.S. Mobile Phones that was willing to talk and even let her into their warehouse.

U.S. Mobile Phones is a wholesaler and distributor that buys traded-in phones from carriers, refurbishes them and resells them for a profit. Most of the more than 2.5 million devices the company processed last year were iPhones.

Stern followed a 128GB iPhone 11, which U.S. Mobile Phones bought for $250 from a carrier, through the entire refurbishing process. This involves wiping any lingering customer data from the phone and testing that things like the display, flash and speaker are all working correctly. It then goes through a rigorous cleaning process before receiving a grade so they know how to price it. Once repackaged, it was listed for sale on a third-party marketplace for $350, which takes a 10 percent cut.

This leaves the company with $65 in profit – not much when you consider they have to pay employees to test, inspect, clean and repackage devices. Also, if a phone is missing a key component like a charger, they have to supply one on their own dime. Damaged handsets, like those with bad batteries, are sold at a loss.

"We have to make enough profit on the good ones to be able to absorb the hit on the bad ones," said Ari Marinovsky, CEO of Back in the Box, U.S. Mobile Phones' sister company.

In addition to carriers and phone makers like Apple and Samsung, there are plenty of other third-party services interested in purchasing used smartphones for cash. Many do business online and have you ship your old phone directly to them. Others have set up automated kiosks in grocery stores and big box retailers so you can make a deal and get paid right then and there.

The second-hand phone market has exploded in popularity in recent years. According to International Data Corporation (IDC), 282.6 million used smartphones shipped globally in 2022. That's an increase of 11.5 percent year over year, and includes 73.5 million units in North America alone.

By 2026, IDC forecasts second-hand phone shipments to reach 413.3 million units worldwide.

Stern concluded that there are more winners than losers in the second-hand phone market. Carriers benefit when you trade in your old phone and buy a new one through them. Refurbishing companies cash out when someone buys a used phone through them. Price-conscious consumers win by scoring a used phone at a discount. The environment wins because fewer old phones end up in landfills.

Image credit: Used iPhone by Soheb Zaidi, iPhones by James Lewis

Permalink to story.

2021 was the first time I decided to get a used smartphone to complement my daily phone. never before in my life have I considered such thing but at the time the price is too tempting, a 3-yo flagship android phone for under $99 while the current flagship costs $999. ended up getting three of the same phone. after all it's literally cheaper than a screen replacement!

the fact that the used phone market is a lucrative business is simply because new phones are overpriced. I like having the latest tech in my hand but not at $1499 pricetag. my phone should cost less than my PC.

Buying a new phone: you pay for the company's Research and Development Manufacturing costs Marketing and distribution costs Overhead costs Taxes and tariffs not to mention the greedy profit margin these companies put.

Buying a used phone: you pay for the hardware only plus refurbishing and shipping cost and a relatively small profit.

I really like referb devices. A year or 2 old, looking new and costing a fraction of the new device.
Flagman devices with great specs and the only downside not being current year's top.
I know a lot of people who dont care about having things like the best of the best camera for example. But having device that will run fast for years is still important. Add a battery that will have a long life with moderate usage, and this is the best option for a great cellphone.

Back