Almost everything new, and it keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoa2490

I just bought a new mother board, and a new disk drive, and a new stick of ram to go with my board, and a new power supply. i booted it up put the disk in that came with the board for the drivers, installed them and i thought it would be good to go. but it is not. it freezes all the time, sometime it will freeze at the splash screen, and sometimes at my desktop. and sometimes after it freezes it will like just covers the screen with what ever window was up. i duno what could be wrong with it.
btw running onboard no vid card

If you are using the old hard drive, it's not usually enough to install new drivers. You should do at least a repair install of Windows and if that doesn't work well, do a clean full install of Windows.

i have a 300g hard drive, and how do i do the other things. d i have to buy a new copy of windows xp. and if im gona do that should i format my harddrive?

If you have your old copy of Windows XP, I would try reusing it even though you changed your motherboard. If it activates, you're good to go and you've saved some money. If it won't activate due to the new motherboard, then you can still try calling Microsoft to see if they will activate it for you. If none of that works, then you can go ahead and buy another copy of Windows. You will have to reinstall Windows because you'll need to enter the new product key.

If you are going to reinstall Windows, you might as well reformat the hard drive but you can probably perform a quick format to save time.

i dont have any copy of windows just what was on my harddrive when i got it. and im am willing to go buy a new xp but i wana make sure that is the real problem. it stopped freezing as much, but now it will freeze when i run a ani virus scan, like half way threw it. and im trying to reinstal w.o.w and it will freeze, sometimes it will ge to 3%,and sometimes as far as 22%. does it stil sound like i need a reinstall of windows?

btw i looked up on my system in formation it says
system:
Microsoft windows xp
home edtion
version 2002
service pack 3

hewlett-packard
pavilion
amd athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual
core prosessor 5200+
2.71 ghz, 1.87g ram

Reinstalled windows, still freezes

i rebuilt my computer, im running a amd athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual, core processor 5200+, 1.00ghz , 1.87g ram.
my mother board is the mcp6pb m2+, im running no video card just onboard.
i just reinstalled windows and formatted my hard drive i intalled all drivers i could think of (meaning the cd that came with the motherboard) and updated up to service pack 3 on xp, and farther. when i try to log into to pla world of warcraft it will freeze my whole computer up. when i do anything else its fine, i was thinking that it might be the cpu over heating but it says it running at 33c.
sometimes it will let me log in and play for like 5 mins and then it will freeze.
help.

I would look at the graphics card. Do you have access to a known good one to test with?

Like to know what power supply you got from your first post.

I don't play WoW but I heard it is pretty demanding specially in the graphics area, not sure the on-board is good enough!

Best to check for the latest drivers, don't always rely on the CD that came with the motherboard (Not related to your exact issue but a good thing to always check for new drivers)

Also FYI in regards to your initial problem 3 weeks ago, you could have uninstalled all relations to your old motherboard and HP from Control Panel/ Add or Remove programs and deleted the ENUM folder in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum

Best done before moving the hard drive if the old system still worked, this way Windows would have detected the new hardware.

As mailpup suggested, fresh install is always the best with motherboard change which you have done.

ok thank you all for your responses, where do i go to get the new drivers if thre is any, and today when i put in the cd that came with the motherboard (drivers disk). i was trying to reinstall them to see if it would make a difference and during the install it kept saying that the drivers mightnot be capatible with windows xp.
and the on board i think would be fine cause i ran wow on my old, old computer with just on board just fine.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/driver.php?S_ID=387

Your motherboard's drivers, the link is for Version 6 of that motherboard, you need to check the motherboard for the revision, if not 6 then search the site for your revision.

You had a HP system and you upgraded

Athlon 64 x2 5200+
Biostar MCP6PB M2+
2 GB of DDR2 RAM (single stick or 2 sticks?)

Are the above correct?
Are you still using the same case and power supply that came with your HP?

EDIT:
The powe supply again from post #1 you got a new one, can you tell us the make and model by looking at the sticker?
You got one stick of RAM, what did you buy and did you mix it with what you had before, if yes, what did you have before?

yes i had a hp system and i upgraded the mother board, processor, and a stick of 2g ram to go with and a 500 watt power supply by diablo tech DA series model # psda 500. from my old system im using my case and hardrive.

and how do i know what version my drivers are. the cd that it came with is drivers and utiliteis cd version RN5.02b-nf61

You can use the Device manager,
Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the Hardware Tab
Click on Device Manager
Click on the + beside the Display Adapter
Right Click on the Adapter and select Properties
Click the Driver Tab

You should see Date and version.

From my other post go to the manufacturer's site and download the latest drivers, follow their instructions, best to uninstall before applying the new drivers.

Once in the Device Manager, note if any device has any issues with Red X or Yellow !

We will try this and if you still have issues, we might have you re install the CHipset drivers and even go directly to Nvidia for your 6150 on-board VGA.

world of warcraft help

I dont know if im postin this in the right place...kinda new to this so bare with me. I am new to WOW. Decided to get into based on a friends recommendation. Whenever ive tried to start it it keeps having me download all these patches for the lich king, which if i understand is an expansion game...dont know why i need to do this yet? But anyways, it will go ok for a while and then slows way down telling me my computer is behind a firewall...first i checked firewall and it is set to allow for blizzard downloader...still no good....next i completly turned off firewall and still having this problem...the firewall is just the windows one that came with the computer....my friend seems to think my problems are because vista and windows 7 sucks...but i dont know(i have vista)...i meet all system requirements for the game...please help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back