Altered Carbon becomes the latest show to fall under Netflix's axe

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Once again, Netflix has canceled a big-budget show with a large and dedicated fan base. The company announced that sci-fi series Altered Carbon would not be returning for season 3.

Back in 2018, a booth at CES from a company called Psychasec offered full-body replacements for humans, allowing people to transfer their consciousness into a new and improved flesh shell. It was, of course, all a promo for Netflix’s upcoming cyberpunk series, Altered Carbon.

Based on the 2002 novel of the same title by English author Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon follows the story of Takeshi Kovacs, played by Joel Kinnaman in season one. It’s set in a future where death is avoided by transferring a person’s consciousness, stored in “cortical stacks,” into new bodies, or “sleeves.”

Season one had a massive budget—more than the first three seasons of Game of Thrones, according to Kinnaman—and while many people, this writer included, enjoy it, the show never gained GoT-like reviews or popularity.

Altered Carbon still made it to a second season, with a lower budget, fewer episodes, a new showrunner, and thanks to the body-swapping plot, a new lead in the form of Anthony Mackie—best known as The Falcon from the Avengers movies.

The changes meant many fans didn’t love season two. According to Deadline, Netflix decided in April that there wouldn’t be a third season. The decision wasn’t related to Covid-19, which was behind the canceling of The Society and I Am Not OK With This. It all came down to the usual cost vs. viewer numbers, apparently.

The show spawned an excellent animated film called Altered Carbon: Resleeved.

The cancelation is a shame for fans, especially as a final, third season could have wrapped everything up.

Netflix would have been expecting a better return on what was one of its most expensive productions, so the move isn’t totally unexpected, especially as the company has ended numerous shows prematurely, even those loved by viewers.

Permalink to story.

That's my biggest pet peeve with Netflix. There have been far too many shows I enjoyed that have been cancelled. Then again, they do have to put their resources towards their most successful shows. It's not as though they are the only ones canceling great shows, stations have been doing that since the invention of television, so it's still a service I'll keep for now, but it is infuriating when you find out a show you love has been canceled.

A lot of excellent and very successful shows get cancelled these days, it seems, and I am tired of trying to make sense out of this, to understand why the hell they cancelled another good show.

They previously cancelled The Expanse, only to resume it one year later. Before that, they cancelled Forever, which I loved. And so on, there were plenty.

And Firefly - perhaps the most successful show that was prematurely cancelled.

At the same time, so much trash just keeps lingering on, season after season of endless pain and disgust, with each next season worse than one before.

Last edited:
I started watching it, but the Mrs wasnt interested so it got put to the back of the list/s.
Thing is with all these services there are hundreds of shows and films, they are providing the content of a massive x number of channels, and its hard to watch it all.
Some of us give up early and say, no, this will be great when its finished, I shall watch the lot. So numbers drop off, so has it been given its fair crack?
I would say that people tend to gravitate to easy pick up and put down stuff, like Community for example, you can get into it, or you can take it and leave it, but a break from it won't ruin its flow.
Like when you don't have enough time to bust out 3 or 4 hours of an MMORPG or really get stuck into some RDR2. You bust out Rocket League or CoD. The not so good stuff.
So what are Netflix saying is good, because my "trending" "popular" lists and other suggestions look alike, and I totally disagree.
Netflix made stuff isn't great as is any stuff, the world is flooded with people trying to make movies and shows, a lot of tat gets through

A lot of excellent and very successful shows get cancelled these days, it seems, and I am tired of trying to make sense out of this, to understand why the hell they cancelled another good show.

They previously cancelled The Expanse, only to resume it one year later. Before that, they cancelled Forever, which I loved. And so on, there were plenty.

At the same time, so much trash just keeps lingering on, season after season of endless pain and disgust, with each next season worse than one before.
Tells you something about viewers, doesn‘t it ?

This is a major shame as I absolutely loved Altered Carbon. Preferred the first season but the second one was also very good.

Tells you something about viewers, doesn‘t it ?

This is a major shame as I absolutely loved Altered Carbon. Preferred the first season but the second one was also very good.
I didn't like the second season, but I like how it explained a lot of the back story. I rewatched season 1 after watching season 2 and it made season 1 much more enjoyable so I'm thankful for that.

Damn,

I really enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 was ok but not as good as the first season and then they drop the show.

This is starting to become a habit with neflix what other shows have they dropped recently.

Altered Carbon — canceled after 2 seasons
Ozark — canceled after 4 seasons
Lucifer — canceled after 6 seasons
Marvel's Luke Cage — canceled after 2 seasons
Marvel's Daredevil — canceled after 3 seasons
Marvel's The Punisher — canceled after 2 seasons
etc

Like what is the point getting invested in these shows when you know they will only last 2-3 seasons.

Forever was a great show! The Marvel shows as well although it's most likely due to Disney+
I loved Altered Carbon, sure it had its faults in the last season but all in all, a great show.

Keep going Netflix, soon I will cancel my subscription.

I didn't like the second season, but I like how it explained a lot of the back story. I rewatched season 1 after watching season 2 and it made season 1 much more enjoyable so I'm thankful for that.
Totally agree... though I would say that I mildly enjoyed Season 2.

You all are focused on 'number of seasons' when the show itself had an objectively terrible second season. It wasn't canceled because 'oh no, they changed the lead', it was cancelled because the plot was contrived.

The first season brilliant writing, the second season had terrible writing. And a completely different premise. "Terrorist/freedom fighter turned private detective" was a very interesting plotline. "Private detective turned terrorist" was not.

You all are focused on 'number of seasons' when the show itself had an objectively terrible second season. It wasn't canceled because 'oh no, they changed the lead', it was cancelled because the plot was contrived.

The first season brilliant writing, the second season had terrible writing. And a completely different premise. "Terrorist/freedom fighter turned private detective" was a very interesting plotline. "Private detective turned terrorist" was not.
Exactly had nothing to do with the actors, it was all story issues and well, the books are more in line with the first season of shock and adult material, the second season dumbed it down from what would be an R rating to a PG-13 one which made the series lose its gritty nature.

Damn,

I really enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 was ok but not as good as the first season and then they drop the show.

This is starting to become a habit with neflix what other shows have they dropped recently.

Altered Carbon — canceled after 2 seasons
Ozark — canceled after 4 seasons
Lucifer — canceled after 6 seasons
Marvel's Luke Cage — canceled after 2 seasons
Marvel's Daredevil — canceled after 3 seasons
Marvel's The Punisher — canceled after 2 seasons
etc

Like what is the point getting invested in these shows when you know they will only last 2-3 seasons.
I think they renewed Lucifer again.

The owners of the network never liked the premise of Firefly, If you watch documentaries on it they basically set it up to fail so they could cancel it.

They previously cancelled The Expanse, only to resume it one year later.
This one's easy, and it's about money. And yes, granted, it's pretty much always about money, but this was also about Syfy's shortsightedness. The Expanse was/is funded/produced by Alcon Entertainment. When Syfy picked up the series, they only picked up the first-run linear rights in the US, while Amazon had the domestic streaming rights and Netflix had the international rights for most territories (there were some exceptions). That meant that Syfy needed good ratings when it aired in order to keep renewing it. They got that in the first season, but ratings fell hard in the 2nd and 3rd seasons, and so, despite it being critically acclaimed and loved by the people who watched it, they canceled it.

Amazon stepped in and not only picked up the distribution rights domestically, but they now hold the rights internationally as well, which makes a lot more sense financially. So far they only renewed it up to season 5 (finished filming back in February so we probably won't see it until the end of this year/early next year), but hopefully we get to see all 9 books come to the small screen. Luckily Bezos is a huge fan as well, so that certainly helps with the renewal chances. I love the show, so I kept up with the behind-the-scenes stuff when they were fighting for someone to pick it up after Syfy canceled it.

Edit: Just for fun, when Bezos announced that they picked it up, and the cast's reaction:

Last edited:
Lucifer is still on season 5, with the second half "coming soon". Season 6 was announced recently. But, it might be the last one for Luci. Time will tell.
Actually I am surprised there isn't a Sandman series considering they are in. The same universe as well as Constantine.

The series was not cancelled because the 2nd season wasn't as good.

" I hear Netflix’s decision not to proceed with further seasons was made in April and is not COVID-related but stems from the streamer’s standard viewership vs. cost renewal review process. "

The series was not cancelled because the 2nd season wasn't as good.

" I hear Netflix’s decision not to proceed with further seasons was made in April and is not COVID-related but stems from the streamer’s standard viewership vs. cost renewal review process. "
So if the second season wasnt as well received and viewership dropped off, then basically because of the second season not doing as well it wasn't renewed........ You don't say

So if the second season wasnt as well received and viewership dropped off, then basically because of the second season not doing as well it wasn't renewed........ You don't say

After looking at some more sources today for this story and looking at Netflix's recent history they cancels shows even with a strong final season.

I listed a few shows in my previous post that fit that.

Trust me I wish the show continued from how successful season 1 was and going into a season 3 it was one of my favourites for stuff that is recent.

Back