Amazon is our biggest search competitor, says Google's Eric Schmidt

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google chairman Eric Schmidt says that Amazon is their biggest competitor when it comes to online search. He made the remark during a visit to the headquarters of Native Instruments, a software and hardware company in Berlin, Germany, explaining that while Amazon is primarily focused on e-commerce, it is essentially answering users questions and searches.

"People don't think of Amazon as search, but if you are looking for something to buy, you are more often than not looking for it on Amazon", he said, adding that since a large number of people head directly to the e-commerce website, it makes Amazon an even bigger competitor than Yahoo or Bing.

According to ComScore's media report for the month of August, Google is the No.1 site on the Internet with around 233.1 million unique visitors, while Amazon ranks sixth with around 172 million unique visitors.

In an apparent bid to counter the antitrust allegations that the Mountain View, California-based company is currently facing in Europe, Schmidt emphasized that Google is not the only search engine in the market, and it shouldn't be regulated as if it were the gatekeeper of the Internet, arguing that other companies like Facebook and Amazon are equally influential.

He also said that a large number of people are now accessing the Internet through handheld devices like smartphones, posing a tough challenge to the company, as they prefer using apps rather than heading directly to a website. “And the most popular app in the world – including in Europe – is Facebook, a company which now describes itself as the on-ramp to the internet”, he said.

Although Google is currently the leader in search, Schmidt said the company's position is constantly under threat from startups. "Someone, somewhere in a garage is gunning for us. I know, because not long ago we were in that garage," he said. "Change comes from where you least expect it".

Schmidt's remarks came as a 4-year-old European Commission investigation into Google's search practices nears its conclusion. In February this year, the search giant reached a tentative settlement with European regulators, agreeing to display at least three of its rival services whenever a search result returns a link to one of Google's own services.

Last month, the Commission asked Google to make further adjustments to the settlement proposal after rivals complained that it wouldn't help them much in competing more effectively in Europe.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure MS wasn't too happy hearing that. They would have preferred he use the "Bing" word. ;)

Eric Schmidt to EU: Don't look at the man behind the curtain. Look at Amazon or Facebook or some guy in his garage. Look anywhere but Google.

I don't know, the reward program from bing might be something worthy to note, although it lacks some serious marketing.
That is the only reason I use Bing. I do a lot of searching at work and if I can get some credit for that I'm going to. Normally the results are 'good enough', but if I don't find what I'm looking for quickly I give up and go to google.

Bing rewards reminds me of the ancient S&H Green Stamps. You need books and books of them to get anything worthwhile. Still, if you do a lot of searching Bing Rewards can pay off.
So if I just literally spent like 3 hours searching random crap, I can get rewarded? Starting now -_-

They give you a boatload of rewards off the start. A lot of things are pretty worthless to exchange points for, or are far 'overpriced'. Some things are worth it, like I got 100GB of OneDrive storage for a year for free. I also did a month of Hulu Plus once, but Hulu is so terrible I have not wanted to do that again - although I'm having a lot of difficulty finding things I feel like turning in points for so I may have to do Hulu again. Or maybe just some Fandango cash...

Normally the results are 'good enough'...
That's funny. I use Bing as my default search engine, and since I don't live in a country that can take advantage of those points, it doesn't have a pull factor. However, that aside, although there are "some" finer points that could stand improvement in their search algorithm as compared to Google's, overall when I cant find things on Bing, I generally cant get better results on Google either. Overall I rate Bings vs. Google on a scale of 20 as follows: 9:11 ever so slightly in Google's favour due to those finer points I mentioned. That said though, I still spend 98% of my search time on Bing and find it a very pleasant experience, but like with the Windows Phone vs. Android debate it simply comes down to what you are used to. Both are equally capable at doing what they were designed for, it just comes down to the experience and I find the difference in how Microsoft's services work to be refreshingly different. So if you find that Bing is a major change and don't like it having come from Google, don't worry I was the same, everyone is the same at first until you get used to it and then you will find that Google's way of doing things is strange and too different and don't like it. All you need to do is give it time, trust me you will find it worth it and the best part is that using Microsoft's services you don't get nearly as many adverts shoved in your face and you get comparable free service to boot.

I prefer Bing for so many reasons besides the rewards which I have a lot of. I like the daily FrontPage pictures and the way top news stories are always neatly arranged and is visible as soon as you open the site. Also there is always a link on the search result for one to call directly instead of writing down the telephone number and then dial it. This is very thoughtful of them. One thing I will like to see them bring to Android and other OSs is local results which means if you search for Starbucks for example they bring the local result as well as anything else that has to do with the coffee giant. Overall I like Bing and it has worked very well for me.

I prefer Bing for so many reasons besides the rewards which I have a lot of. I like the daily FrontPage pictures and the way top news stories are always neatly arranged and is visible as soon as you open the site. Also there is always a link on the search result for one to call directly instead of writing down the telephone number and then dial it. This is very thoughtful of them. One thing I will like to see them bring to Android and other OSs is local results which means if you search for Starbucks for example they bring the local result as well as anything else that has to do with the coffee giant. Overall I like Bing and it has worked very well for me.
Not sure if joke or nah...Your like the first person I've heard that from.

I thought yahoo or rogueware bing would be number 2.

Bing has to many sponsored links with god knows what in them. Bing is the #1 reason old people cannot find anything on the internet.

Back