Amazon shuts down New World's 'economy controls' to prevent a gold duplication glitch

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Amazon's first attempt at an MMO game, New World, has been plagued with tons of strange bugs. The latest involves the chat system that allows a variety of exploits using "packet manipulation." By sending HTML messages to other players by whisper or direct message, trolls can cause display issues or game crashes. Another exploit generates infinite amounts of gold.

This past weekend, New World players discovered a glitch that opened up several game-breaking exploits. One of them allows players to generate infinite gold, so Amazon decided to shut all wealth transactions down until it could fix the bug. YouTuber Callum Upton demonstrated and explained the exploits in a recent video (below).

It all started when someone discovered that the game would execute specifically crafted HTML code. So trolls started spamming players with huge pictures in their chat window and taking up large portions of the screen. It was more annoying than harmful, but that was not the only thing the bug allowed.

As players continued experimenting, they found they could send a message that could boot another player from the game. The way it works is that the attacker sends a message that tells the game to search for an item that does not exist. The game looks for the requested data locally, and when it cannot find it, the process enters an endless loop, ultimately crashing the game.

Although Upton did not get into specifics for any of these exploits, he pointed out how users could use the same HTML bug to generate infinite amounts of gold. It works by crafting the code so that when the cursor hovers over an item in the sent message, the game registers a quest completion and awards 50 gold. Repeatedly moving over the tigger in the chat box, players can accumulate as much gold as they wish.

These are pretty serious game-breaking exploits, so it's no surprise that Amazon was quick to act. On Monday, the New World community manager notified players that they were shutting down New World's economy controls.

"We are aware of a possible gold duplication exploit that has been circling and we are temporarily disabling all forms of wealth transfer between players (ie. sending currency, guild treasury, trading post, player to player trading)," the manager wrote. "Once the gold duplication exploit has been investigated and we are ready to turn on wealth transfer again, we will update this post."

Understandably, Amazon wanted to shut down the exploit, but it's odd that it only mentioned the gold glitch and not the others. It's also strange that it promised to punish anyone who had used it.

"Any player that has engaged in the use of this exploit will be actioned against," the notice vaguely threatened.

Taken at its word, "any player" would include those who found or reported the bug. Amazon later updated the post, saying that it would just remove any gold or items generated by the exploit, and those maliciously using the glitch would be banned.

As of Tuesday evening, the developers had not fixed the exploits, but Amazon said that it was "zeroing in" on the problem and would have a patch soon.

Permalink to story.

So when Bezos exploit real people & currency/revenue system it's good.

When players exploit the game system for illusory currency it's criminal.

OK, hmm... let me get to you on that...

"Threatens"? They should ban all exploiters already. Stop giving these people a free pass. Exploiters should be banned right away.

I don't understand the need to get a ton of gold. I haven't really found much use for gold it as I don't buy homes in towns and usually by the time my weapon and/or armor parts need to be repaired (which costs gold if you don't have a necessary repair kit) I find a new/better weapon and armor pieces.

I honestly have so much gold I don't use. Over 20k gold with a House and lvl 60. Honestly I only use gold to pay my taxes on my one house lol.

"Repeatedly moving over the tigger in the chat box, players can accumulate as much gold as they wish."

Piglet nodded wisely. "Tiggers are amazing, aren't they".

Dead game is dead. Bugs and glitches take over a month for them to fix. No content. Game has 6 total dungeons, including the 4 you do while leveling.

Dead game is dead. Bugs and glitches take over a month for them to fix. No content. Game has 6 total dungeons, including the 4 you do while leveling.
Most new MMO's lack content - this is always the problem with new ones. Balance is probably also a problem too.

However I have not tried New World and probably won't unless price is reduced or going f2p. I don't have the time to sink into a MMO anyway so I don't want to pay the full price.

MMO's are so 2000's
They are still popular, however most people that played them back in 2000-2010 don't have time to play them today. MMO's require several hours every day to stay competitive or you won't go anywhere. That is why some people stay away.

Usually the people who play MMORPG's have plenty of hours to sink into them. Most are nolifers, steamers or people with no jobs, no life. Some people are addicted to WoW still.

WoW still has millions of subs almost 20 years after release, most of these probably played it since 2004. Thats GaaS at its finest.

WoW shined back in Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK days. I stopped playing in Cata and came back a few times just to find out that the game has changed so much that I did not even care anyway. And as I said I don't have the time either. Not paying full sub fee to play the Classic versions either. Classic versions should be 50% off to get me to try them.

I considered New World and pre-ordered too, but cancelled last year with first major delay and I'm glad I did.

MMOs seem to suffer same fate as RTS games - They are terrible on consoles so dev's don't really focus on them. A good MMO tho, should be a goldmine just like WOW however it takes many many years and alot of money to get there.

Last edited:
They are still popular, however most people that played them back in 2000-2010 don't have time to play them today. MMO's require several hours every day to stay competitive or you won't go anywhere. That is why some people stay away.

Usually the people who play MMORPG's have plenty of hours to sink into them. Most are nolifers, steamers or people with no jobs, no life. Some people are addicted to WoW still.

WoW still has millions of subs almost 20 years after release, most of these probably played it since 2004. Thats GaaS at its finest.

WoW shined back in Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK days. I stopped playing in Cata and came back a few times just to find out that the game has changed so much that I did not even care anyway. And as I said I don't have the time either. Not paying full sub fee to play the Classic versions either. Classic versions should be 50% off to get me to try them.

I considered New World and pre-ordered too, but cancelled last year with first major delay and I'm glad I did.

MMOs seem to suffer same fate as RTS games - They are terrible on consoles so dev's don't really focus on them. A good MMO tho, should be a goldmine just like WOW however it takes many many years and alot of money to get there.

For us millennials we're now in our 30's, don't have time for MMO's. That being said, MMO's I fell like where much more popular in name back in the 2000s. WoW was a big one.

WoW is only a fraction of its once massive player base, and largely has been replaced by FF XIV in terms of day to day player base. Though WoW still peaks quite high on new content releases.

But we've also seen the rise of shooter MMOs such as Destiny 2.

Every new MMO in the last decade has largely been a giant waste of funds.

Most new MMO's lack content - this is always the problem with new ones. Balance is probably also a problem too.

However I have not tried New World and probably won't unless price is reduced or going f2p. I don't have the time to sink into a MMO anyway so I don't want to pay the full price.
the game isn't "full price" if you're referring to a AAA game priced at $60, the game is $40.

For us millennials we're now in our 30's, don't have time for MMO's. That being said, MMO's I fell like where much more popular in name back in the 2000s. WoW was a big one.

WoW is only a fraction of its once massive player base, and largely has been replaced by FF XIV in terms of day to day player base. Though WoW still peaks quite high on new content releases.

But we've also seen the rise of shooter MMOs such as Destiny 2.

Every new MMO in the last decade has largely been a giant waste of funds.

FF XIV lied about their active players many times. WOW is still one of the most popular MMO's almost 20 years after. WOW has generated billions and billions of dollars over those years, something that all the other companies have tried to copy, most failed and some failed hard.

I would not consider loot shooters MMO's I have tried a few of them and they are pretty boring if you ask me. Hide and shoot. Cover based shooters mostly.

FF XIV lied about their active players many times. WOW is still one of the most popular MMO's almost 20 years after. WOW has generated billions and billions of dollars over those years, something that all the other companies have tried to copy, most failed and some failed hard.

I would not consider loot shooters MMO's I have tried a few of them and they are pretty boring if you ask me. Hide and shoot. Cover based shooters mostly.
Hide Shoot vs click & jump.

I wouldn't trash another form of MMO as WoW's combat system is really outdated and gets boring quick. WoW really was the death of Blizzard. I wouldn't consider play loyalty equal to game quality. WoW was a simple game to play with a big active userbase. And a ton of Solid Lore. Other MMO's have had better combat systems, etc. I myself Love Warcraft Lore, and spent many hours of my highschool years playing WoW which was over a decade ago. It is more of a waste of precious free time to even think about now. WoW was great early on, but its a different game now and it isn't that good. By far one of the most mediocre games still being played.

Back