Amazon UK allegedly listed a 2TB PS5 'dummy' page with a price point of £600

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: Sony has been teasing the public with its lack of information on the upcoming PlayStation 5. Other than the specs, and a few morsels disclosed by third-parties working with dev kits, we know nothing about what it looks like, how much it will cost, or precisely when it will launch. So its fan base is salivating at rumors and leaks, even if they are likely a hoax.

A listing for a 2TB PlayStation5 was allegedly spotted by someone on the Hot UK Deals forum Tuesday morning. A screenshot of the product page (below) from Amazon's UK storefront appears to be a placeholder mockup with no pictures and limited information.

It lists it with the heading "2020 Dummy ASIN Sony PS5 1 2TB." It also has the price down at £599.99, which is about $765 US. While the page could potentially be a legitimate placeholder, the listing does not hold up to the information that we already know about the PlayStation 5.

As we reported in March, when Sony released the PS5 specs, the standard console will have an 825GB SSD. It is not even your run of the mill drive, either. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said the PS5's storage system "outclasses" anything available on PC. It is so different that developers had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine 5 to accommodate the new super-fast storage solution.

Ed Boon, the creator of the Mortal Kombat series, said, "This [is a] new way of handling memory and loading ... I was riveted watching the PlayStation 5 and Unreal Engine 5 demo going 'that can't be real, come on, that can't be real,'" referring to Epic's spectacular tech demo running on a PS5 dev kit.

While Sony acknowledged users would be able to swap in a standard NVMe drive, lead PS5 architect Mark Cerny said the company would first have to implement a certification program to ensure users purchased compatible drives. At no time has Sony or Cerny mentioned that the PlayStation 5 would have an option for a higher capacity drive than the 825GB initially announced.

That said, it would be wise to take this news with an entire shaker of salt. If it is not an outright hoax, Amazon UK has likely gotten its placeholder completely wrong. A 2TB PS5 option at launch does not seem very likely at all. Even with past PlayStation releases, higher capacity options only became available well after the initial launch.

Perhaps we will learn more at Sony's "The Future of Gaming" presentation on Thursday, but all information we have on that appears to point to a games-only showcase rather than a discussion or reveal of the hardware. We shall see.

Image credit: PS5 Render by Ahmed Karaman

Permalink to story.

I don't think £600 is out the realms of possibility but I think they'll land closer to £500 at launch.

Maybe there's going to be two versions? 1TB and a 2TB which is £100 more?

I do feel the UK get super shafted on the price, plus usually, if it was £600, it's usually $600 in the U.S. I think it is because they are lazy and just use the same price tags, can't use xe converter, and just change the symbol.

It won't bother me though, as much as I would like to jump on the band wagon, we know these things will sizzle and fry. Until the second version, which will simply melt. I want a cheese melt thanks, being the cheaper of the two.

I do feel the UK get super shafted on the price, plus usually, if it was £600, it's usually $600 in the U.S. I think it is because they are lazy and just use the same price tags, can't use xe converter, and just change the symbol.

It won't bother me though, as much as I would like to jump on the band wagon, we know these things will sizzle and fry. Until the second version, which will simply melt. I want a cheese melt thanks, being the cheaper of the two.

Yeah we do get fu******ed on the price every time in UK it's really annoying

I don't think £600 is out the realms of possibility but I think they'll land closer to £500 at launch.

Maybe there's going to be two versions? 1TB and a 2TB which is £100 more?
While possible it just isnt likely. For one its not be done before plus cost would be high for 2 models. Also there isnt even 1TB version.

While possible it just isnt likely. For one its not be done before plus cost would be high for 2 models. Also there isnt even 1TB version.
Do I seriously need to remind you of the PS3? 20GB and 60GB versions? ;)

Xbox 360 as well, Didn't it come out with a HDD version and Non-HDD version?

As well as any currency conversion problems the Brits also have a 20% Value Added Tax (VAT) which won't help the final price.

As well as any currency conversion problems the Brits also have a 20% Value Added Tax (VAT) which won't help the final price.
:neutral: :D
Wow! I knew they had a VAT, but I didn't know it was friggin' 20%. Daaaannng! And I complain about the 10% sales tax in Texas (was about 7.5% where I lived in Califonia previously).

Wow! I knew they had a VAT, but I didn't know it was friggin' 20%. Daaaannng! And I complain about the 10% sales tax in Texas (was about 7.5% where I lived in Califonia previously).

You can't order from abroad either since you would have to pay customs charge.

VAT rates in Europe range from 17 to 27%, with more than 2/3 landing over the 20% mark. It's 25% in Sweden, Croatia and Denmark, for instance. We're getting ripped off big time, you guys have it real good over the pond.

We lose 25% of wages to tax which goes to, pointless military crud, the govt's sandwiches and drinks bills (I heard they wrote off something like a 1.8 million drinks bill they had - well if the slaves cant pay during this crisis, how can we..). And then we pay 20% of whats left on everything we purchase. So its not quite half our wages is just purely raped but very close.
And as Reehahs said, you get smacked when you order Bad Dragon dildos from America, cause of the import tax.

VAT rates in Europe range from 17 to 27%, with more than 2/3 landing over the 20% mark. It's 25% in Sweden, Croatia and Denmark, for instance. We're getting ripped off big time, you guys have it real good over the pond.

And yeah over the pond ( we are talkin the big part and at them yankees right? ) they do have it cheaper in some regards, but a friend of mine, she had surgery on her knee, found out after the op that her insurance had actually run out and for some reason not renewed, and $18k bill through the door, so when America wants to shaft its people it to has a sweet left hook.

And it is because we all pay useless people a lot of money to run our countries badly, whilst they also take massive back handers to further shaft us, that we need to see cheaper Playstations and this £600 bill is just wrong. So please Japan, Sony, from all of us, don't shaft us. We can't take it. Or maybe the problem is we can now take it too easily...

We lose 25% of wages to tax which goes to, pointless military crud, the govt's sandwiches and drinks bills (I heard they wrote off something like a 1.8 million drinks bill they had - well if the slaves cant pay during this crisis, how can we..). And then we pay 20% of whats left on everything we purchase. So its not quite half our wages is just purely raped but very close.
And as Reehahs said, you get smacked when you order Bad Dragon dildos from America, cause of the import tax.

And yeah over the pond ( we are talkin the big part and at them yankees right? ) they do have it cheaper in some regards, but a friend of mine, she had surgery on her knee, found out after the op that her insurance had actually run out and for some reason not renewed, and $18k bill through the door, so when America wants to shaft its people it to has a sweet left hook.

And it is because we all pay useless people a lot of money to run our countries badly, whilst they also take massive back handers to further shaft us, that we need to see cheaper Playstations and this £600 bill is just wrong. So please Japan, Sony, from all of us, don't shaft us. We can't take it. Or maybe the problem is we can now take it too easily...
Nah, it will just be like the PS3, where they tell you to work harder to buy it......

^^THIS^^ That last paragraph. No truer words.

Back