Amazon will deploy 10,000 electric delivery vans in 15 cities by 2022

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Rivian is a new electric vehicle company, but it's already making a pretty big name for itself. The company has secured a partnership with Amazon to create a "first-of-its-kind all-electric delivery vehicle," which will be deployed in 15 US cities this year.

Amazon announced its plans to purchase roughly 100,000 electric delivery vans last year, and we'll finally see 10,000 of them hit the streets by 2022. "Tens of thousands" of additional vehicles will follow throughout 2022 and beyond, presumably until the full 100,000 have been dispatched.

You can get a glimpse of Amazon's new delivery vans through the video below. From a design perspective, there's nothing particularly special about them. They do look slightly more futuristic and sleek than other delivery vehicles out there (with a taller windshield), but that's about it -- functionally, they're largely the same.

However, outlandish, stand-out vehicle designs aren't the focus for Amazon. These deployments are part of its Climate Pledge, which will see the company achieve "net-zero carbon" across all of its operations by 2040.

Amazon hasn't provided us with a list of cities that its vehicles will be arriving in, but Rivian's production HQ is located in Plymouth, Michigan, so that might be at least one safe bet.

Amazon says its new delivery vans can travel up to 150 miles on a single charge, which should be plenty for day-to-day city deliveries. Cross-state transit shipping might be a bit trickier, though, unless Amazon has charging routes planned out for its drivers.

Anyway, we look forward to seeing Amazon's new vans hit the streets over the coming months, and we hope other shipping companies follow suit sooner rather than later -- the more EVs we see on the road, the better.

Permalink to story.

Looking at that nice shiny van I already have tinge of nostalgia....no more mechanics slipping and sliding on black engine oil just electronic shiny tool boxes and clean hands.

Looking at that nice shiny van I already have tinge of nostalgia....no more mechanics slipping and sliding on black engine oil just electronic shiny tool boxes and clean hands.
yeah, I really love working on cars. Electric cars are great for the future but as a hobbyist it's kinda fun getting covered in oil and making something work. Something that really sucks about electric vehicles is that I think it will be the end of car audio. I wont be able to rattle your windows at 3am in a tesla.....

yeah, I really love working on cars. Electric cars are great for the future but as a hobbyist it's kinda fun getting covered in oil and making something work. Something that really sucks about electric vehicles is that I think it will be the end of car audio. I wont be able to rattle your windows at 3am in a tesla.....
I'm sure they'll find ones to put into bigger batteries to power those amps.

What I look forward to is not having to smell those dirty diesel fumes, most delivery trucks in suburbs and cities only drive a few hundred metres between stops which makes it even more polluting with the start stop.

Not gonna be super practical in crowded northern cities during the winter. The heater burns a ton of power. Of course knowing Amazon they may not allow drivers to use it.

Not gonna be super practical in crowded northern cities during the winter. The heater burns a ton of power. Of course knowing Amazon they may not allow drivers to use it.
Always a way round getting the heater going!

Oh, you can still work on these but ..... suddenly I had a flash back of working on the old TV sets when you really had to watch out for a certain capacitor or risk waking up on the other side of the shop ...... LOL

Electric delivery vehicles I can kind of get behind, service vehicles, Key Workers of the automobiles. Just know that all cars petrol/electric are a waste of everyones time, which in turn make this effort pointless overall.

Last night I had a dream: Amazon, world biggest marketplace with fast delivery that is selling 95% of all goods. It has robots to pack goods, it has automated cars to deliver them. Fully automated system handles their finances. And somewhere on top there are 2 or 3 people that get the profits. All 2% of profit after they pay all the taxes.
But that was just a dream.

Most people know by now that, with current EV tech, these vehicles are global pollution nightmares. I hope this works out for them and shows other industries that it's possible. With more demand, the tech will get better, especially power storage and maybe even end the catastrophe that is lithium mining. It will also hopefully force the needed upgrades of our national power grid as more EVs will cause a tremendous strain. Not to mention our state and local governments to have to retool their road tax scheme. Right now they use tax on fuel which, for obvious reasons, will not continue to work.

Back