Amazon's new tablet line-up includes a dirt cheap $50 model

Scorpus

Staff member

Amazon has today unveiled four new Fire tablets as part of a refreshed line-up, all of which are designed to be budget yet solid options for quick, easy media consumption.

The Fire HD8 and Fire HD10 are the two larger, more premium models, featuring 8- and 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 displays respectively. Amazon hasn't provided the full spec sheets for either of these tablets just yet, but we do know both feature partly-metal bodies that are 7.7mm thick, and Gorilla Glass-protected displays capable of 400nits of brightness.

The HD8 and HD10 are powered by unspecified 1.5 GHz quad-core SoCs, and both support 802.1ac Wi-Fi and feature microSD card slots. The HD8 will go on sale for $150 with 8 GB of internal storage, while the HD10 will be $230 and come with 16 GB of storage.

Perhaps the most compelling tablet Amazon has announced today is simply called the 'Fire': a 7-inch 1024 x 600 tablet that will retail for just $50. The Fire isn't going to be a performance powerhouse, featuring just a 1.3 GHz quad-core SoC, 8 GB of internal storage and 1 GB of RAM, but it will be a very cheap way to browse the web and watch movies on the go. The wallet-friendly tablet also comes with a microSD slot so you can add up to 128 GB of additional storage.

The Fire is so cheap that Amazon has decided to sell the tablet in a six-pack (as well as individually), where you essentially buy five tablets and get a sixth one for free. Amazon claim you might want a tablet that lives exclusively in each room of your house, hence the ability to buy the Fire in packs of six, but it could end up being a great gift option instead.

The fourth and final tablet Amazon has announced is the $100 Fire Kids Edition, which is essentially the very same Fire tablet with a kid-friendly case, a two-year warranty that includes accidental damage, and a year's subscription to Amazon's FreeTime Unlimited service that gives you access to a wide variety of children's books.

If you're interested in any of these tablets, they're available for pre-order now, and will begin shipping on September 30th.

Permalink to story.

"Amazon claim you might want a tablet that lives exclusively in each room of your house, hence the ability to buy the Fire in packs of six, but it could end up being a great gift option instead."

Really?? How lazy are people? A small portable tablet in each room. What a crock of ****.

"Amazon claim you might want a tablet that lives exclusively in each room of your house, hence the ability to buy the Fire in packs of six, but it could end up being a great gift option instead."

Really?? How lazy are people? A small portable tablet in each room. What a crock of ****.
Not only that, but maybe, just maybe, they'll sell on of those "five dollar order me now buttons", just in case your house is more than 6 rooms. This will be good for both acute and chronic cases of "holy s***, I don't have a tablet within 20 feet situations", and another family member is not present to "talk you down from the ledge", so to speak.

I have to jet now. I'll simply die if I don't tweet within the next two minutes! :eek:*nerd*

The key in those new cheap/kid-friendly tablets is the expandable memory option. I bought a couple of Fire HD6 tablets for my kids last Christmas and while they worked fine for the purpose, the kept running out of memory a week later. There are hundreds of complaints about this issue on Amazon, so I guess they learned the lesson. FireOS is just passable, too.

The key in those new cheap/kid-friendly tablets is the expandable memory option. I bought a couple of Fire HD6 tablets for my kids last Christmas and while they worked fine for the purpose, the kept running out of memory a week later. There are hundreds of complaints about this issue on Amazon, so I guess they learned the lesson. FireOS is just passable, too.
I found that with my 32GB HDX 8.9 I bought on sale. And no OTG usb connectivity was a problem too. To solve the issue I bought the Adata AE400 wireless card reader and power bank. Can read USB sticks, card readers and even connect and power my WD Ultra portable HD. Lets you stream to 5 devices in HD over a wifi connection, and even has capability for internet passthru to connected devices. And a 5000maH+ battery that can be used to charge devices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BKVE04A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I found that with my 32GB HDX 8.9 I bought on sale. And no OTG usb connectivity was a problem too. To solve the issue I bought the Adata AE400 wireless card reader and power bank. Can read USB sticks, card readers and even connect and power my WD Ultra portable HD. Lets you stream to 5 devices in HD over a wifi connection, and even has capability for internet passthru to connected devices. And a 5000maH+ battery that can be used to charge devices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BKVE04A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
With this, you just became my hero, as the one true god of mobile devices. My liege..... .:crankykneelsinsupplicationbutaccidentallyfartsduetooldage: :D (*)

(*)(And yes boyz & girlz, I know it would be pointless to ask for an emoticon following that sentiment).

With this, you just became my hero, as the one true god of mobile devices. My liege..... .:crankykneelsinsupplicationbutaccidentallyfartsduetooldage: :D (*)

(*)(And yes boyz & girlz, I know it would be pointless to ask for an emoticon following that sentiment).
I'm guessing, from your level of excitement, you find that a useful device then?

Back