AMD 64 overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheswar2006

hi guys, what do you think how far could an amd64 3500+ (venice core) on an asus nforce ultra (this board gives plenty of overclocking features!) with just stock cooling, i mean the default heatsink provided by AMD and 4 case fans.

Another thing, which would offer better cooling if i completely remove my side case covers or should i keep it closed? would it somehow affect cooling negatively or positively?

I know a lot of people recommend removing a side case, however it is my understanding that this is less efficient for cooling. When you take a side cover off, the fans are not able to direct the air flow as they were meant to. I may be completely wrong about this but it has been mentioned to me in past conversations with various tech people.

2.8 Ghz seems to be peak at efficient overclock with stock cooling on the venice 3500 (I don't recommend staying at this frequency too long though). 2.5 GHz is the common speed to reach in overclocking since this is very stable, only .3 GHz more than the stock frequency, but hey, if you're a tweaker, then you want all the performance you can get.

My 3200+ can run 2.8 ghz on my moded Asrock DualSATA2. It has a max temp of 51c with the stock HSF, about as high a a Venice should go.

i used to have a socket 754 3000+ and i got it up to 2.6 Ghz with stock cooling and no changing of voltage, just pure FSB and multiplier changes. I was too scared to bring it up higher since it was my only computer at the time so you may be able to go higher...but hey, going from stock 2.0 - 2.6 is pretty good to me.

Shadowrunner, it is not recommended to overclock and enable cool 'n quiet. In fact, don't even overclock if you have it enabled, as it does strange things to the computer like random crashes and overall very unstable.

Only enable cool and quiet if you're at stock speed. If you're overclocking even just one bit, disable it in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back