AMD bundles Uncharted collection with Ryzen 5000 CPUs

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Users looking for an excuse to upgrade their AMD CPUs who don't want to give up their AM4 socket motherboards just received a good incentive. Most Ryzen 5000 CPUs — currently cheaper than ever and great for gaming — now come with a free game.

For a limited time, AMD will give away free Steam keys for the upcoming Uncharted: Legacy of Thieve's Collection with nine Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. The former PlayStation exclusive launches on Steam and the Epic Games Store on October 19 for $49.99.

Almost every Zen 3 CPU is part of the promotion, from the Ryzen 5 4500 to the Ryzen 9 5950X. Customers should note that the deal doesn't include the Ryzen 5 5600G or Ryzen 7 5700G. The Ryzen 5000 processors are far cheaper now than they were at launch. Their relatively low prices and good gaming performance make the promotion an excellent deal.

According to Sony's system requirements, the participating CPUs shouldn't struggle to handle Uncharted, depending on the user's graphics card. The 5800X3D ($400) enjoyed exceptionally positive reviews, largely thanks to its enormous L3 cache.

Customers don't automatically receive a game code upon buying a CPU from one of the participating retailers, which include Amazon, Micro Center, iBuypower, and others. They must first install the processor, sign up at AMD's rewards website, and download AMD's Product Verification Tool to confirm their processor model. From there, customers must follow the remaining instructions to receive their Steam keys.

The bundle doesn't apply to AMD's newly-released Ryzen 7000 series CPUs, likely indicating its purpose is to clear Ryzen 5000 stock. While the latest AMD processors show performance gains over their predecessors, their barrier to entry is significantly higher.

Not only are the 7000 series CPUs more expensive than the 5000s, but getting one likely means buying or building a new PC. Ryzen 7000 requires AMD's new AM5 socket, and AM5 motherboards aren't cheap. Furthermore, they must have the new-but-costly DDR5 RAM.

A Ryzen 7000 setup may be a prudent choice for those with the money and desire to future-proof. However, users already on AM4 motherboards with DDR4 RAM will find Ryzen 5000 a much more affordable upgrade that will likely capably handle high-end games for years to come.

Permalink to story.

AMD made a sneaky move before Intel 13th gen processors launch?
Intel, better bundle your processors with some AAA games too.

Last edited:
AMD made a sneaky move before Intel 13th gen processors launch?
Intel, better bundle your processors with some AAA games too.

They do it often too. I got Hitman 3 and Chivalry II when I bought my 11700 last year.

I'm in a weird spot because I want the 5800x3d but my b350 motherboard has this weird bios thing. I have an 1800x in it, if I upgrade to the latest bios the supports the 5000 series than it loses support for the 1800. I can't find answers online as to if it'll even boot with the 1800x. IDK if I should just go with a 3800x(which is half the price) and be happy with the upgrade or go full on new build with 7000 series, new mobo and ram.

I'm in a weird spot because I want the 5800x3d but my b350 motherboard has this weird bios thing. I have an 1800x in it, if I upgrade to the latest bios the supports the 5000 series than it loses support for the 1800. I can't find answers online as to if it'll even boot with the 1800x. IDK if I should just go with a 3800x(which is half the price) and be happy with the upgrade or go full on new build with 7000 series, new mobo and ram.

B350 will not get Pcie gen4 with this upgrade to 5800x3d, not 100% sure but worth the search for it. Best is to get a cheap B550, MSI or something.
3800x should be fine for at least 2 years.
7000, only if the money it's not an issue.

Also depends on the applications/games you want.

I did my calculation upgrading from i7 4790 to Zen3 and had a budget of $400. Anything more than that I would sleep with the dog (wife not happy). Now waiting for yearly bonus (next April) and maybe GPU's will be more affordable. I'm not into more than 1440p so a 6700/6750XT or 3070 will have to do.

Now back on topic, bundle is the first step when sales are bad. Next step please, price cut.

B350 will not get Pcie gen4 with this upgrade to 5800x3d, not 100% sure but worth the search for it. Best is to get a cheap B550, MSI or something.
3800x should be fine for at least 2 years.
7000, only if the money it's not an issue.

Also depends on the applications/games you want.

I did my calculation upgrading from i7 4790 to Zen3 and had a budget of $400. Anything more than that I would sleep with the dog (wife not happy). Now waiting for yearly bonus (next April) and maybe GPU's will be more affordable. I'm not into more than 1440p so a 6700/6750XT or 3070 will have to do.
I mostly play RTS games, ESO and EvE. My issue is a 3800 is 250 and poses no risk but if I buy a 5800 and it doesn't work then I need to buy a new motherboard. So do I spend 250 or do I spend $500 only to find out I need to spend another 200 on a motherboard. Pcie gen 4 isn't important to me

After the bios upgrade it most likely won't boot the 1800x. Severals brands of budget 1st gen b350 boards don't have enough firmware storage to house 4 generations of chipset mapping. Usually, those brands will support 1xxx to 3xxx then jump to 3xxx/5xxx support.

That being said, if you don't do the blind leap I'd do the 3700x over the 3800x, if it's measurably cheaper. You won't see a performance dip and it's still a good bump in performance and memory compatability.

If you do the blind leap, check the return policy on your zen3 cpu buy. If the new set won't post, most 350s don't have flashback, so you're in an almost new build situation.

If you dont have BIOS update button it's bad, JBC029 is right new MB and CPU only will work

After the bios upgrade it most likely won't boot the 1800x. Severals brands of budget 1st gen b350 boards don't have enough firmware storage to house 4 generations of chipset mapping. Usually, those brands will support 1xxx to 3xxx then jump to 3xxx/5xxx support.

That being said, if you don't do the blind leap I'd do the 3700x over the 3800x, if it's measurably cheaper. You won't see a performance dip and it's still a good bump in performance and memory compatability.

If you do the blind leap, check the return policy on your zen3 cpu buy. If the new set won't post, most 350s don't have flashback, so you're in an almost new build situation.
Mine doesn't have a flashback but it does support the 5000 series with a bios update. I just don't want to brick my motherboard and be without my PC for a few days. I think I'll do my major upgrade in 2024. I need them to come out with an 8k120 HDMI standard because I use TVs as monitors. I don't want to spend more than I have to so I can save it for my "money is no object" build.

Mine doesn't have a flashback but it does support the 5000 series with a bios update. I just don't want to brick my motherboard and be without my PC for a few days. I think I'll do my major upgrade in 2024. I need them to come out with an 8k120 HDMI standard because I use TVs as monitors. I don't want to spend more than I have to so I can save it for my "money is no object" build.
I doubt video cards that can run games comfortably at 8k will arrive any time soon

I doubt video cards that can run games comfortably at 8k will arrive any time soon
That isn't the point. When I spend $5k+ on a display I want it to last6-7 years. 8k120 isn't for gaming, it's for smoothly using in desktop mode. And with the old games I play I'm sure a modern midrange card could run them 8k60

Back