AMD captures 22.5 percent of the x86 CPU market, the highest share since 2007

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: AMD's share of the overall x86 CPU market has seen incredible gains over the last few years, and now it has reached 22.5 percent -- the highest point since the Athlon 64 days. To achieve this, the company sacrificed some ground on the desktop market and focused on server and mobile processors and custom APUs for consoles.

By now, it's no secret that AMD is smashing Intel in retail desktop CPU sales, even after Intel started offering discounts on several of its 11th and 10th generation offerings. Team Red's processors dominate Amazon's best-selling charts and are now preferred by workstation builders. And Epyc processors are stealing Xeon's thunder in the data center, albeit slowly.

With that said, the latest data from Mercury Research shows AMD has managed to capture 22.5 percent of the overall x86 market in the second quarter of this year. This level is the highest recorded since 2007 and close to its peak of 25.3 percent achieved in 2006. That leaves Intel with a 77.5 percent share, as VIA is essentially non-existent in the global scheme of things.

The report also offers a breakdown by market segment, which shows that AMD has slipped a bit in terms of desktop CPU market share, going from 19.3 percent in the first quarter to a little over 17 percent in the second quarter. It's not a huge surprise since AMD CEO Lisa Su explained back in May, the chip shortage forced the company to prioritize sales of flagship CPUs, which sell in lower quantities when compared to the lower-end offerings.

Intel isn't affected as much by the chip shortage as it has fabs of its own to rely on, which has allowed it to claw back some of the market share lost to AMD. Mercury Research President Dean McCarron says AMD made up for that deficit with increased shipments of mobile and server CPUs, as well as custom chipsets for consoles like the Xbox Series S/X and the PlayStation 5.

Beyond the x86 market, the Mercury Research report also includes an interesting bit about Arm-based CPUs, which are now estimated to account for 7 percent of all desktop CPU shipments, primarily thanks to Chromebooks and Apple's M1 Macs.

Permalink to story.

And they might have gotten a bigger share, if TSMC had higher production of 7nm waffers.
Relying on TSMC is part of the reason AMD is having a great time, while Intel is still offering 14nm+++++ (did I forget any +?) processors for their 11th generation desktop CPUs. You can't have your cake and eat it, relying on TSMC's highly advanced and highly sought technology comes with disadvantages.

Relying on TSMC is part of the reason AMD is having a great time, while Intel is still offering 14nm+++++ (did I forget any +?) processors for their 11th generation desktop CPUs. You can't have your cake and eat it, relying on TSMC's highly advanced and highly sought technology comes with disadvantages.
Unfortunately for AMD, process node is not the be all to end all. In fact, AMD has lost to "inferior" process nodes from both Nvidia and Intel - consistently.

fd7b83f187f13fa51bee477878af4bd407bde08e14ff639c12250a4d8482af79.gif

"By now, it's no secret that AMD is smashing Intel in retail desktop CPU sales, even after Intel started offering discounts on several of its 11th and 10th generation offerings"

Maybe I'm ignorant but I'm not sure how only having about 25% of the market is smashing anyone's anything.

"By now, it's no secret that AMD is smashing Intel in retail desktop CPU sales, even after Intel started offering discounts on several of its 11th and 10th generation offerings"

Maybe I'm ignorant but I'm not sure how only having about 25% of the market is smashing anyone's anything.

Retail = individual customers deciding on their own based on the product’s / platform’s merit what to pick I assume.

That would be vs commercial customers / OEM who decide based on different factors

And they might have gotten a bigger share, if TSMC had higher production of 7nm waffers.
I think it's going to go up after the steam deck hits by quite a bit, that is a nice little powerful kit compared to the NUCs being overpriced and underperforming for what you are getting, AMD needs to keep banging on the way they are.

Retail = individual customers deciding on their own based on the product’s / platform’s merit what to pick I assume.

That would be vs commercial customers / OEM who decide based on different factors
Well I think the only real holdout here is Dell considering their relationship with Intel and the volume they ship still. If they would carry AMD especially in their laptops that market share would jump vastly.

Well I think the only real holdout here is Dell considering their relationship with Intel and the volume they ship still. If they would carry AMD especially in their laptops that market share would jump vastly.
Other OEM offer pretty decent AMD based systems but that‘s just one part. Actively selling them is another.

Just go to the HP, Lenovo… store home pages. Pretty much all systems featured on the start page are Intel based. If you want AMD based systems you need to actively look for them.

iPhone was smashing Blackberry/Windows Mobile when they are dominant.
Samsung was smashing HTC when HTC was dominant.
That's how new leader takes over old kings. Is that too hard to understand?
I am not saying AMD will take over Intel as king. But being the largest markets share not does not it cannot be smashed.

Other OEM offer pretty decent AMD based systems but that‘s just one part. Actively selling them is another.

Just go to the HP, Lenovo… store home pages. Pretty much all systems featured on the start page are Intel based. If you want AMD based systems you need to actively look for them.
Yeah agreed, keep in mind Dell is a large OEM for both business and consumers, Lenovo and HP as well but they have back hand deals with Intel, so that hampers sales.
There is a reason why Asus of late is doing real well in the laptop sales the G14 zephyrus being a great example.

Maybe I'm part of this... since I just got a 5900X with the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC combo for USD 755 (converted). Managed to get the Ryzen 9 5900X at near MSRP.

A leap from my i7 8700K based system, which I moved to my study room as an emulator/browsing machine now, with on-board graphics.

Yeah, Dave2D was criticizing Dell about the new Alienware laptops not having AMD options, and there are implications to this as well, they do offer AMD just buried in sales menus with extremely limited options.
They dont offer anything with Ryzen on their business lines (Optiplex, Latitude and Precision) which are definetly the ones that sell the most units.

I can almost guarantee that they are still getting bribed by Intel.

Back