AMD denies reports, says Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs will arrive this year

midian182

Staff member
Denied! AMD has refuted a recent report claiming its Zen 3-based Ryzen 4000 desktop processors wouldn’t arrive in 2020. The company has repeatedly promised that we’d see the CPUs hit the market this year, but constant rumors and the release of the Ryzen 3000XT refresh have suggested otherwise.

Earlier this week, a report from DigiTimes, which doesn’t have the best record when it comes to these sort of rumors, stated that AMD’s Ryzen 4000 desktop processors would launch in 2021 rather than this year. The alleged reason? Team red’s 3000 series is doing so well right now, especially when it comes to challenging Intel’s new 10th-gen Comet Lake processors, the company can hold back on launching a new chip architecture.

More possible evidence that AMD wasn’t planning a Ryzen 4000 launch this year was the announcement of the Ryzen 3000XT desktop CPUs. It does seem strange that it would launch a refresh of the popular 3000 series just months before a new generation of processors arrive.

We did state that DigiTimes’ report seemed sketchy, especially as AMD has repeatedly said Zen 3 would launch before 2020 is out. Now, the firm has reiterated its stance: “AMD confirms that the rumor on ‘Zen 3’ delay is inaccurate,” it said during a press briefing.

AMD’s own roadmap shows its Milan chips arriving in 2020. That’s led some to speculate that these Epyc CPUs might be the first Zen 3 products, with the Ryzen 4000 desktop variants launching in 2021. Again, though, this seems highly unlikely.

A company repeatedly promising something and failing to deliver wouldn’t be a new phenomenon, and Covid-19 could always cause more disruption to AMD's plans. Still, it would be a big surprise if we didn't see the Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs within the next six months.

Permalink to story.

So when I first read this story, immediately the mental picture of huge Godzilla (Chipzilla) being dead on the ground came into my mind, while at the same time several orange-painted helicopter gunships with Zen's logo markings on them were making victory loops all around.

I can imagine the big suits over at Chipzilla headquarters sweating in their $3000 suits as we speak.

With the persistent rumors of a 5nm Zen 3 in the works, is it possible/probable that they will offer a refreshed version in the vein of zen+ in 2021? That's my hope at least.

Very happy about this, because those XT models won't close the gap for gaming perf, especially not when all core clocks are the exact same as the X models. Those boost clocks are a gimmick (even on Intel's latest chips). Hopefully they are binned tho. Or it's a pointless release.

My gaming rig will keep the 9900K at 5.2 GHz for sure, but my server could use a 8-12 core (low wattage) 4000 series Zen 3 chip (up from R5-2600).

Hope they follow through .... I expect they will follow through ..... AMD has been pretty good about this.

With the persistent rumors of a 5nm Zen 3 in the works, is it possible/probable that they will offer a refreshed version in the vein of zen+ in 2021? That's my hope at least.
It would make sense to use a 5nm Zen 3+ as pipe cleaner for Ryzen 4. If that‘ll be a desktop chip is another question but it would be nice.

Didn‘t AMD say that Zen 3 would definitely be the last CPU supported on the 4xx chipsets ? Why say that if it‘s the last CPU to be released on AM4 ?

So when I first read this story, immediately the mental picture of huge Godzilla (Chipzilla) being dead on the ground came into my mind, while at the same time several orange-painted helicopter gunships with Zen's logo markings on them were making victory loops all around.

I can imagine the big suits over at Chipzilla headquarters sweating in their $3000 suits as we speak.
IMO, the suits at sIntel are still far too complacent to be sweating - at the moment. :laughing:

I take the XT models as a warning shot. AMD are hitting 4.7GHz on enough of those parts after binning to be launched as a stock model.

They are ramping clocks slowly. Not bad considering 4.2GHz was a very hard limit on the 1st gen Ryzen 8 cores just three years ago, most not even capable of achieving that.

Throw in some more tasty IPC improvements, unify the cache for the 8 cores and watch the sales rack up.

Dream scenario: AMD refreshes zen 3 on 5nm process node and calls it zen3+, your cheaply b450 supports that... now that would be sweet if that happened

Because it’s always better to update the GPU than the CPU , for that reason CPU companies must have the best possible CPU as soon as possible to minimize that gap.

It would make sense to use a 5nm Zen 3+ as pipe cleaner for Ryzen 4. If that‘ll be a desktop chip is another question but it would be nice.

Didn‘t AMD say that Zen 3 would definitely be the last CPU supported on the 4xx chipsets ? Why say that if it‘s the last CPU to be released on AM4 ?
I know it's supposed to be the last for the AM4 socket, but they could call it a refresh and/or make XT versions of Zen 3. One can hope!

When you have you opponent on the ropes you don't think to yourself, I'm winning, then let up. You go for the knock out.

I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 shortly after release and I don't regret it at all. They can delay all they want. I certainly don't mind. The 3600 is more than enough CPU for the average person imo.

I don’t get it. Intel made more money last year than they ever have done. And significantly more than AMD. And this is mostly from the enterprise solutions market which AMD basically don’t compete in. I understand that Intel’s desktop CPUs make a small percentage of their revenue and that for the first time in over a decade AMDs 7nm chips just about outperformed these 14nm Intel parts.

So I don’t really understand, why would Intel execs be sweating?

I understand that Intel’s desktop CPUs make a small percentage of their revenue
It's perhaps not as small as one might think. Intel's Client Computing Group, in which the desktop platform sits, accounts for roughly 50% of their total income. This sector has seen consistent growth in the ASP, but a decline in volume; the notebook platform, however, has experienced small but steady growth in both ASP and volume. Intel are forecasting little to no growth in the revenue of CCG (whereas the Data Center Group is expected to do very well).

Processors sales, be desktop or otherwise, will form a significant slice of the operating income for the CCG, so while Intel are unlikely to be 'sweating in their suits', they will certainly be looking to improve CCG's financials.

I don’t get it. Intel made more money last year than they ever have done. And significantly more than AMD. And this is mostly from the enterprise solutions market which AMD basically don’t compete in. I understand that Intel’s desktop CPUs make a small percentage of their revenue and that for the first time in over a decade AMDs 7nm chips just about outperformed these 14nm Intel parts.

So I don’t really understand, why would Intel execs be sweating?

Just looking at Intel's problems on server side, there is more than enough reasons to sweat. AMD server CPU's beat Intel almost everywhere except on some niche scenarios. Intel has also suffered from security flaws much more than AMD do. So far Intel is doing good because they have loyal customer base. But when AMD offers more than double CPU speed for spent dollar, customer loyalty for Intel won't last forever.

It's perhaps not as small as one might think. Intel's Client Computing Group, in which the desktop platform sits, accounts for roughly 50% of their total income. This sector has seen consistent growth in the ASP, but a decline in volume; the notebook platform, however, has experienced small but steady growth in both ASP and volume. Intel are forecasting little to no growth in the revenue of CCG (whereas the Data Center Group is expected to do very well).

Processors sales, be desktop or otherwise, will form a significant slice of the operating income for the CCG, so while Intel are unlikely to be 'sweating in their suits', they will certainly be looking to improve CCG's financials.
Sorry, it was a rhetorical question. I am just sick of hearing these kids talking bollocks on these forums. When I was a kid I was on several forums and it was so much more grown up than it is today. I guess this is what happens when you make computers easier to build!

Your comment was quite refreshing, you clearly know what you’re talking about and you even linked your sources tidily. If only the rest of the community held such integrity and eloquence on here!

Back