AMD, Intel gain GPU market share in Q2 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

The GPU market continued its recovery in Q2 2009 following a slow second half last year in anticipation of a worldwide recession. The latest estimates from Jon Peddie Research suggest shipments climbed a whopping 31.3% from 74.8 million units in the first quarter of the year to 98.3 million in the second, with all major vendors showing improvements sequentially.

AMD and Intel both enjoyed some market share growth at the expense of Nvidia and smaller GPU makers. The former came first in terms of percentage growth with a 41.5% increase in shipments over the last quarter, followed by Intel and Nvidia at 35.2% and 23.6% respectively. Overall the market is still dominated by Intel, though, thanks to its nearly-ubiquitous integrated graphics chips.

Nvidia actually saw its market share drop almost two whole points to 29.2% while AMD continues to slowly catch up – now with 18.4% of the market. Looking forward, the research firm cautions that things won't return to the normal seasonal pattern until the third or fourth quarter of this year and that the market won't hit the levels of 2008 until 2010.

Permalink to story.

ATI HD4770 is a true killer. AMD is gaining back gamers' heart and that's good news.

I keep forgetting that the chips built-in to a motherboard count as a GPU. I've always considered them as a freebie. They come with the expensive boards as a $10 add-on to the chipset, and are passable for the basic things that computers need to do. I have to get it out of my mind that the real GPU's are not just the discrete add-on card's for your laptop or workstation.

ummm yeah, what raybay said...it sounds as if they all gained sales/revenue, but for one to gain market share....someone has to lose market share.

AMD, Intel and Nvidia all increased their unit shipments. In terms of market share, however, only AMD (from 17.1% to 18.4%) and Intel (from 49.7% to 51.2%) gained while Nvidia's share dropped sequentially from 31.1% to 29.2%.

So, to answer your question, AMD and Intel's gains came mostly at Nvidia's expense.

Smaller GPU makers like SiS and VIA also saw drops. More info: http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases...-q209-intel-and-nvidia-also-show-great-gains/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back