1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD is expected to launch new X570 chipset with PCI-E 4.0 at Computex

By mongeese · 9 replies
Dec 2, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. The slides, which were leaked onto Gamers.com.tw, appear to be a few months old given that the B450 platform and Athlon 200GE are still in red (signifying they weren’t launched yet). In a way, however, this adds to their credibility.

The only features revealed about the X570 platform are that it will be the first platform to support PCI-E 4.0 and that it will support all AMD Ryzen processors, past, present and future. PCI-E 4.0 is set to provide up to 16 gigatransfers per second (GT/s), doubling the bandwidth provided by PCI Express 3.0 while maintaining backward and forward compatibility, but it’s unknown if it will offer any short term performance improvements on current-gen GPUs. It’s possible however that AMD’s next generation of graphics cards will be designed to take advantage of it. The X570 chipset would launch at Computex 2019, which runs from May 28 to June 1st.

A second slide shows two new Intel chipsets, B365 and H310C, but doesn’t offer any information on them. More interesting is the fact that that it lists “Glacier Falls” as a High-End Desktop (HEDT) architecture. If it does arrive mid-next year, it would cut short the lifespan of the recently released 9000XE series. This wouldn’t be all that surprising given how they compare to Threadripper 2.

The last image lists the names of a bunch of new Intel processors: the i9-9900KF, i7-9700KF, i5-9600KF, i5-9400F, i3-9350KF and the i3-8100F. The text appears to suggest that the “KF” processors won’t have integrated graphics, but there’s no information on what the “F” might mean.

While none of this information guarantees better performance in future products, it certainly shows that AMD and Intel are dialing up the heat. When AMD’s Zen 2 is announced sometime around January next year, expect it to make a big splash.

Permalink to story.

2. Right side bob

Right side bob TS Enthusiast Posts: 96   +23

Can't wait to have something better than a i7-8700k overclocked for gaming that's not overpriced *cough* i9 series *cough*.

Reehahs and Charles Olson like this.
  3. xxLCxx

xxLCxx TS Rookie Posts: 27   +18

Out of curiosity: Since when has the CPU become the limiting part in gaming?

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. Araeven

Araeven TS Rookie

This is really interesting. Last I heard that DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 would be hitting with a new socket. I assumed that since AM4 was to last into but not all of 2020 that would mean Zen3 would get a new socket. But changing from PCIe 4.0 to 5.0 from 2019 to 2020 seems very fast.
    Would love some more info on when DDR5 will actually hit, don't want to make the same mistake I made with DDR3 and buy DDR4 right as its fazed out.

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +271

This seems to imply that Ryzen 3000 will launch at around the same time.

6. Manjunath Bhat

Manjunath Bhat TS Rookie

Looking forward to AMD's Zen 2.

7. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,364   +1,478

DDR4 isnt that old, DDR5 is likely years out from release, especially as DDR4 is still veyr expensive, and isnt the bottleneck for anything in the consumer space at the moment.

Reehahs likes this.
  8. Jimster480

Jimster480 TS Booster Posts: 56   +49

This is some pretty awesome news, now I am just wondering if I should put my x370 board in at all haha. Maybe I should tough it out for another 7 months and just jump into x570.

9. Right side bob

Right side bob TS Enthusiast Posts: 96   +23

I just want something a bit cheaper and better for gaming. GPU is what matters but I'm not paying 1319 to upgrade my trash gpu to a rtx 2080 ti (I want the high end stuff).

10. Zonther

Zonther TS Rookie

That's like saying back in the day you want GTX 780 Ti performance from a GTX 760 price range. Now you have GTX 1060 3GB that is right there but now you want a GTX1080 Ti performance for the GTX 1060 3GB. The best thing you can do is buy what you can afford and don't look back. I want a 2080 Ti but I'm on a RX 580 8GB because I can't afford a 1070 or higher. Beggars can't be choosers.