AMD launches ten 8-core and 12-core server CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

AMD today officially launched its latest offensive against rival Intel in the server market, releasing a line of 8- and 12-core processors referred to as Magny-Cours. The chips feature a new 45nm design made up of two processor dies (with 4 or 6 cores each) sharing a single CPU package, which will fit in a brand-new G34 socket, while offering newer I/O technologies and four DDR3 memory channels for supporting up to 12 memory modules per processor.

The series will be sold under the Opteron 6100 name starting with a 1.8GHz, 8-core version known as the 6124 HE, and going all the way up to a 2.3-GHz 12-core version dubbed 6176 SE. The first is an energy efficient part using 65 watts of what AMD calls "average CPU power" and costs $455, while the latter uses 105 watts and has a list price of $1,386. In between are a number of other 8- and 12-core versions, including the 8-core 6128 which will sell for just $266.

Not surprisingly, AMD claims its Opteron 6100 series processors are notably faster than its 6-core (Istanbul) predecessors, boasting an 88% increase in integer performance and a 119% increase in floating point performance. All Opteron 6100 chips should work in either two- or four-socket configurations. Meanwhile, Intel is also planning an 8-core chip aimed at multiprocessor servers, known as "Nehalem-EX," which should be formally shipping soon.

Permalink to story.

First off I hope you are joking

from a Virtual platform point of view a 12 core processor would be awsome for a corporate environement. Being able to consolidate all of your servers onto one beefy machine is what this is all about. Nothing shocks execs more then telling them that you took 30-40 servers and got rid of them all and now run everything off of one main and one backup server.

Although...now that I think about it, real time ray tracing would be nice 8 cores was supposed to be the minimum from what I remember in order to have this,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back