AMD or Intel as a computer processor for gaming ¿?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that depends on what kind of games you want to run, and on your budget. Of course if you want the fastest processor for gaming, I'd say Core i7. If you don't want to spend quite a lot on a Core i7 rig, then I'd recommend the Core 2 Quad series.

However the Phenom II's are pretty good too, sometimes they beat certain Intel CPUs...

The Core i7 line is really overkill for gaming. A fast GPU will make much more of a difference than a fast CPU for gaming.

^that's not entirely true, there are a lot of games that take more of an advantage on processor speed over graphics power, Bioshock, GTA4, and Fallout 3 come to mind right off the bat. also, i wouldn't consider i7 as overkill for gaming, at least not the 920. i would put the i7 series of processors as the "premium" solution for games, not necessarily overkill imho.

Go for intel i7 processor it is so better than amd for gaming. Intel is the best on the market right now so go with intel.

@ deazy86 : Again, that's your personal opinion. AMDs new processors (Phenom II) are extremely good in price / performance ratio.

The OP should check the said benchmarks and decide for himself.

Follow Up Question.......

Do they have an Eliza Dushku first person shooter? Er, other than "Dollhouse" Season One.

I thought it would be called "Virtual Doll", and it would come with an inflatable "companion player".

With different characters and levels. For instance the "Eskimo Princess" assignment, where you have to chew on her boots to soften them up. Or the "Sarah Palin" assignment, where they don't bother to imprint her, they just send her out as is.

Hey EX,
this surprised me when i first read it, its part of the reason I decided on the phenom II X3 720, check out the AMD's hold thier own , and in some cases a few frames faster in gaming than the i7 920
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii_720_810_am3/8.htm

very impressive, I read a similar article recently that pitted the phenom II 650? against the i7 920 and the results were close to what they were in this article. they had overclocked the processors, but with equal percentages, and the phenom was actually able to keep up with the i7; in some cases outperform the 920. it wasn't anything to write home about, but it's good that AMD is on board with competitive cpus.

very impressive, I read a similar article recently that pitted the phenom II 650? against the i7 920 and the results were close to what they were in this article. they had overclocked the processors, but with equal percentages, and the phenom was actually able to keep up with the i7; in some cases outperform the 920. it wasn't anything to write home about, but it's good that AMD is on board with competitive cpus.

This is the other one I was trying to find, its a little more thorough, but basically a dead heat.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=794&page=11

It's no surprise that AMD remains the "best bang for your buck" solution, but it's still tough to say which is best in terms of raw performance. Both platforms are very, very good for gaming and that article on PureOC proves that. I think it comes down to personal preference and budget if you ask me. You win either way imho.

^that's not entirely true, there are a lot of games that take more of an advantage on processor speed over graphics power, Bioshock,....

Bioshock doesn't require much processor power for 1680x1050. I can run it with maxed everything without any problem on my system and I have a E6400 2.13Ghz and an 8800GTS 320.

the only game i am aware of that is extremely cpu dependent is flight sim X, that thing is a bear to run on max even for those with i7,s im told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back