AMD overtakes Nvidia in second quarter GPU shipments

Jos

Staff

AMD has managed to pull ahead of rival Nvidia in GPU shipments for the second quarter of 2010, according to a new report by Mercury Research. The company was able to grab 24.5% of the total graphics market versus 19.8% for Nvidia. And while Intel remains the undisputable champion, with its integrated graphics chips capturing 54.3% of the market, this is a huge turnaround for AMD compared to the same quarter in 2009, when it held just 18.2% against Nvidia's 29.6%.

Referring specifically to the discrete graphics cards market, the researcher said AMD commanded 51% of shipments during the quarter while Nvidia grabbed a 49% share. Again, just last year they were at 41% and 59% respectively. There are a number of reasons for this role-reversal, starting with the fact that AMD released its first DirectX 11 cards several months before Nvidia. Also, it probably didn't help that the GeForce GTX 480 and 470 cards were heavily criticized for their noise and heat output, while their performance wasn't a great deal better than AMD's offerings.

It should be interesting to see if the trend maintains next quarter with both manufacturers expected to have a fair range of DirectX 11 cards on the market. The GeForce GTX 460 was certainly a step in the right direction for Nvidia.

Permalink to story.

Great news, they deserve it because they deliver great products with excellent prices and much more earlier that the competition, I hope they can maintain this lead, although with the new GTX460 it's going to be difficult.

Cueto_99 said:
Great news, they deserve it because they deliver great products with excellent prices and much more earlier that the competition, I hope they can maintain this lead, although with the new GTX460 it's going to be difficult.

You ati fanboys make me laugh. One time in almost 10 years ATI gains the lead and you guys act like they've been doing it forever.

So...you must be an Nvidia fanboy??? I guess I'm both. I think they both have good cards... I myself have both in 2 different pc's. For the price....I would say ATI is the better buy...but not enough to get your panties worked up... each card manufacturer has its good and bad cards.... just because someone speaks up for a company..doesn't mean they are a fanboy.. it is nice to see some worthy competition once in awhile... after all... if it wasn't for ATi being as good as they are.. Nvidia wouldn't have the need for their uber cards either....

Really? It only took the second post to accuse someone of a fanboy? The first poster is NOT a fanboy. ATI taking lead creates competition. Competition mean better products and lower prices.

Princeton however, clearly showed himself to be a fanboy, his first instinct was to defend nvidia by saying they've always been better. Quit being so defensive, jeez

kg363 said:
Really? It only took the second post to accuse someone of a fanboy? The first poster is NOT a fanboy. ATI taking lead creates competition. Competition mean better products and lower prices.

Princeton however, clearly showed himself to be a fanboy, his first instinct was to defend nvidia by saying they've always been better. Quit being so defensive, jeez

It isn't fanboyism if it's a fact....

LOL...you guys are pretty funny pointing fingers at each other. I'm for whatever is the best card that's out there - brand loyalty is meaningless to me. There was a time when ATI ruled the roost. Back in the day the Radeon 9800 Pro smoked anything nVidia could come up with. Then nVidia got their act together.

After using nVidia cards exclusively over the last 6-8 years, I was fully prepared to go ATI with my next full-blown upgrade that I'll be doing next month. Was going ATI 5870 all the way. That is until the nVidia GTX 460 1GB came out - now I'm going to be doing my first SLI rig with two of those.

At any rate, glad to see ATI pull ahead, even for a little bit. Competition is good for us all.

You ati fanboys make me laugh. One time in almost 10 years ATI gains the lead and you guys act like they've been doing it forever.

I think you just proved that you are a fanboy, because what you said it clearly not fact. Nvidia hasnt completely ran the show for 10 years. And fanboys usually post off emotion and not FACTS, now that's a fact.

Actually, several times, however I think your partially right.
Ati and Nvidia frequently takes turn being a head of the pack.

Thank you everyone for the support, I was about to say the same thing all of you have mention. Just because someone is happy because ATi took the lead doesn't makes them ATi Fanboys, personally I wouldn't mind someday buying an Nvidia GPU. But I identify myself with the red team right now, in the performance, price and availability.... Now, I believe the fanboy here is you princeton, wish isn't bad at all if you don't bullish people and instead argue with TRUE facts :)

Anyways going back to the subject, although the 5000 series is extremely good I'm one of the few waiting for the 6000 batch. That's why I hope they're also as good as this generation.

Whoever makes the best graphics cards, at the best price points will win.

I've had Ati's for the last 3 graphics cards. Not in the slightest bit because I'm a Ati guy, but purely because for the budget I set, the Ati was the best within that budget. If it was a nVidia card I'd have purchased that instead.

I would imagine (with the exception of die hard Ati/nVidia fans) that most people are likely the same - Its about bang for your bucks (or pounds for me!)

Apple has moved to ATI for ALL new imac models, Nvidia has no dx11 part below 199$ while ATI has the entire range filled and ATI's Southern Islands is due in sept-oct. I can't blame Nvidia fans for being overly bitter.

Leeky said:
Whoever makes the best graphics cards, at the best price points will win.

I've had Ati's for the last 3 graphics cards. Not in the slightest bit because I'm a Ati guy, but purely because for the budget I set, the Ati was the best within that budget. If it was a nVidia card I'd have purchased that instead.

I would imagine (with the exception of die hard Ati/nVidia fans) that most people are likely the same - Its about bang for your bucks (or pounds for me!)

Agree with the sentiment. Right now, If I had the dollars, it would be a toss up beweeen the 460, 5850 or a lower spec ATI workstation card. Best value for price, always.

Bah hardly any games even use directx10, whats with this directx11? I don't plan on buying another video card in 4ever, games better not jump to d11 or I will frown, hard. Both companies are great, one always seems to have the edge over the other at different price ranges.

Treetops said:
Bah hardly any games even use directx10, whats with this directx11? I don't plan on buying another video card in 4ever, games better not jump to d11 or I will frown, hard. Both companies are great, one always seems to have the edge over the other at different price ranges.

I think maybe you've been hiding in a cave somewhere for a while... DX10 and 11 are alive and well, and supported in most of the top end games hitting today. They aren't typically exclusively DX10-11, as a few early games were to try to force a Vista upgrade (and they failed miserably), so you are safe for a little while, at least. But, unless it's a direct console port that can't do DX10 or 11, odds are you'll see support for them in any new game you pick up today.

Regenweald said:
Apple has moved to ATI for ALL new imac models, Nvidia has no dx11 part below 199$ while ATI has the entire range filled and ATI's Southern Islands is due in sept-oct. I can't blame Nvidia fans for being overly bitter.

Well this isn't true is it? Again can I please point out I'm not an nvidia fan boy I'm just picking this out because of the amount of coverage it's had yet not been noted properly in the above comment.

Nvidia have the gtx 460 which is and can be found for less than $199 and is a dx11 card.

Also how do you know apple have got ati in there new iMacs? I mean, usually apple don't announce much if anything until the day before they arrive?

Appart from that it is nice to see ati is keeping the challenge to nvidia, it's nice to see the prices lower :)

Also how do you know apple have got ati in there new iMacs? I mean, usually apple don't announce much if anything until the day before they arrive?

You dont, S. Jobs will land you in the slammer for 2 generations if you knew/told anyone about something before its released, lol.

Just to clear up a couple of points in the interest of objectivity...

@Burty117
The iMac indeed is an ATI only (graphics) system at the present time...although since the card in question is a HD 5750 and the base price for an iMac is $1999, it all seems a bit meh. Given that maxing out an iMac's spec to $4100+ still gets you the same anaemic card it more like meh²

@Regenweald
Before you coat all and sundry with a ruby red paintjob you might want to consider that the same iMac doesn't offer an AMD CPU option...
and ATI's Southern Islands is due in sept-oct
There is no way S.I. becomes available in September, and even October is likely to be more along the lines of a soft-launch-and that will not be encompassing anything close to the whole product line. Feel free to post a link to at least one reliable source that quotes September as a launch date.

Lol, It really is hilarious how fast the finger pointing began xD

I have to agree that this is well deserved lead for ATi, i mean, the 5000 Series is nothing but a success after all. I myself am running a 5850 at the moment, but don't get me wrong, i'm not so much an ati fanboy as i am a supporter o.o

I have two pcs, one with Intel, the other with AMD, and one with ATi the other with nVidia. I like testing both of two worlds :D

But yes, its a deserved jump for ATi, and thats one hell of a jump too! You boys deserve it :D Pop open the champagne :3

dividebyzero said:
Just to clear up a couple of points in the interest of objectivity...

@Burty117
The iMac indeed is an ATI only (graphics) system at the present time...although since the card in question is a HD 5750 and the base price for an iMac is $1999, it all seems a bit meh. Given that maxing out an iMac's spec to $4100+ still gets you the same anaemic card it more like meh²

@Regenweald
Before you coat all and sundry with a ruby red paintjob you might want to consider that the same iMac doesn't offer an AMD CPU option...
and ATI's Southern Islands is due in sept-oct
There is no way S.I. becomes available in September, and even October is likely to be more along the lines of a soft-launch-and that will not be encompassing anything close to the whole product line. Feel free to post a link to at least one reliable source that quotes September as a launch date.

Ahh, my bad, mind said Nov-Dec on the way to fingers sept-oct was typed. But no, not painting anything red boys, the market is what is is and right now it is not good for the green team, no matter how hard people shout otherwise. As for the 460 can be had for less than 199 comment, my question is: How much less really ? seeing as you can have ATI dx11$120 and below. Certainly no powerhouse, but the segment is covered.

LOL, ahahah that would be so sad, swapping champagne for mountain dew

"This calls for a celebration!~" *Takes a recycled bottle and empties cans of mountain dew into it*

Now remember, its all in your head. If you believe this is champagne then it shall be.

ati has been in the game since 1985 so they pretty much know how to play the competition game,nvidia has been around since 1993,there both great companies and i like the both of them but i have to say ati is really doing going for themselves,nvidia needs to step up there game a bit

Back