AMD prepares to kill the ATI brand name, Radeon will live

Julio Franco

Staff member

Ever since AMD acquired ATI we wondered for how long they would keep the brand around considering their ultimate goal was to use ATI's GPU know-how to merge their microprocessor technology and Radeon core graphics on a single chip. Four years later and numerous ups and downs for both AMD processors and ATI graphics offerings, the company is finally ready to unveil their first Fusion processor by the end of this year.

AMD feels this is also a good time to kill off the ATI branding considering their chipset business has been successfully migrated, and the Radeon and FireGL brands stand strong on their own. The company claims that through recent surveys they found that the AMD brand is favored when compared to its graphics competitors, namely Nvidia. The switch is not expected until the next generation of graphics products arrive, so all current Radeon HD 5000 series GPUs will be left untouched. Later this year it's expected that the new AMD Radeon HD 6000 series will make an appearance, likely carrying a logo similar to this:

AMD's first hybrid processor code-named Ontario is expected to become available before the end of the year, with the more powerful Llano APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) meant to follow sometime during 1H/2011.

Ontario will pack two low-power Bobcat cores and Radeon graphics on the same package, meant to be a system-on-chip solution aimed at netbooks, tablets and other low-power devices. Llano will use a derived core from the Phenom II family, but hope is that it will eventually incorporate a more powerful core based on Bulldozer.

Permalink to story.

I guess I can see where this makes sense now... Particularly as the CPU/GPU lines blur together, it makes it easier for AMD marketing: instead of having to reference an AMD/ATi hybrid, they just market as an AMD product.

I'm sure the hardcore ATi fans will hate the move. But seriously, it's like ATi is disappearing, they are just finally finishing the folding into AMD that started with their acquisition. They will continue to give nVidia a run for their money, and keep GPU competition and innovation strong.

This makes me quite sad. Years ago ATi was a Canadian company. After AMD bought them we no longer had them. But at least we knew the people who started them would be able to grow bigger. Now they kill off the name to try and make sure there is nothing left of them.

It happens in almost every business acquisition, so I don't see any issue ('emotional' or otherwise) with it. Probably they have delayed it for more then they actually needed it to. Anyhow, what my hope is that in coming few years, they can produce APU's which can deliver competing performance along with at least midrange graphic solution (i.e. 5770 of that time, perhaps? ;) ).

oh well, as long as AMD keeps producing great GPUs i don't really mind that the ATI name is being omitted. it doesn't look like any other marketing elements are being rubbed out so it's still basically the same exact thing, just no shiny ATI logo. personally, i don't think AMD really had to drop the name, but it's easier to condense, market, and advertise all of their products under one name.

As long as they don't finish with Ruby... Anyways, I don't feel like saying "I just bought a new AMD HD6890!" ??? What the h... is that a CPU a GPU or a CPU/GPU??

You bought a Radeon, not an ATI you idi*t. Who the hell cares if it's AMD or ATI logo on it? ATI is AMD's graphics logo.

yes, they are just omitting the ATI logo and brand name, but everything else will remain including the Radeon, FireGL etc... so, you'll be seeing product names following the lines of "AMD Radeon HD6xxx" and so on. they are basically getting rid of the letters T and I :)

While it does make me sad especially since I still use ATi wallpapers, this is nothing unusual as Archean points out. I'll still likely use the name though as when I think AMD I think CPU and not GPU. Plus AMD (Green) vs Nvidia (Green) just seems wrong imo...they also should to bring back Ruby =D.

The marketing will be much easier for new consumers on the integrated systems, with the ATi moniker out of the way. They will have a strong "powered by AMD" kind of appeal, rather than a "powered by AMD and ATi" setup, which makes it seem less integrated. And it appears their most direct competition will be "powered by Intel and nVidia" for the Atom and Ion combination, which again impresses less cohesion in the product.

It's all about the spin, man. Make it seem simple and powerful, and you gain large strides in consumer confidence. That, and decent benchmarks in speed and power consumption. Have to wait and see how those turn out :)

"found that the AMD brand is favored when compared to its graphics competitors, namely Nvidia"

Excuse me !?

For the last 10 years at least, whoever was looking to buy a new videocard knew 2 WORDS! One is ATI, the other NVIDIA! I wonder where Intel fans will go to buy their new videocard now, wanna take a guess?

With AMD lagging behind Intel on the CPU side (sales and performance benchmarks) and ATI solidly in front of nVidia with this generation of cards, you choose to kill the ATI brand NOW ??? If you ask me, this move has more to do with pride than marketing sense. What you did will soon help your competitors on the CPU and GPU market gain an even bigger slice of the piechart. And also lose a few Intel+ATI combo fans while at it.

And that's just the first reason.

The second gets clear enough when you look at how many different badges you find on the front grille of the same GM produced car. People like the illusion of choice, even if AMD is behind the ATI sticker on a video card. It's hard enough as it is to build a brand these days, let alone one that manages to stay ahead of the competition, yet you kill that with the flick of a pen just when they're ahead?

To me that's just marketing and corporate stupidity.

I bought my first ATI card 5 months ago (a 5850). I just hope you continue to improve on the performance side like you did with the current generation.

You're using a Radeon, not a ATI. Is it easier for you if you buy a GPU it has a ATI logo and a Radeon name, but you know that its been created by AMD???

Besides that.. look on the PCB of the current cards.. what logo and name is on it? AMD.. like it is a big deal.. AMD Radeon... doesnt sound bad at all.

AMD and Intel are going to destroy Nvidia in the notebook and low-to-midrange desktop sector. AMD needed to rebrand to compete against Intel. Nvidia is going to be left out in the cold with AMD and Intel integrated GPUs.

Will be interesting to see how many Intel chipset boards now feature box art that includes "AMD Radeon Graphics" or "AMD Crossfire X Technology".

Will be interesting to see how many Intel chipset boards now feature box art that includes "AMD Radeon Graphics" or "AMD Crossfire X Technology".

never thought of that, but I'll be waiting for some kind of satirical article over at tomshardware about it.

I guess I can see where this makes sense now... Particularly as the CPU/GPU lines blur together, it makes it easier for AMD marketing: instead of having to reference an AMD/ATi hybrid, they just market as an AMD product.

I'm sure the hardcore ATi fans will hate the move. But seriously, it's like ATi is disappearing, they are just finally finishing the folding into AMD that started with their acquisition. They will continue to give nVidia a run for their money, and keep GPU competition and innovation strong.

This is very sad thing to hear... funny how 3DFX have the similar conscience on closing it doors, just like ATi did.

edited: It would be darn nice to see 3DFX to come around again.

WHY?? For What??

Many people know ATi but all most don't know AMD. AMD kill ati and will kill them self too.

WHY?? For What??

Many people know ATi but all most don't know AMD. AMD kill ati and will kill them self too.

If that happens, Intel will be the only company that's still holding the long-standing trophy for having the years of good services in their belts, FOREVER.

That'll probably be a good thing, sticking to the same brand, different proc speeds, and again, different prices. I could predict this that if this happens, we will be getting tons of low-power, low-heat and super-cheap chips coming right up in our noses.

As for Nvidia, I don't know what their gameplans are, but I surely hope that Nvidia wouldn't do the same thing AMD did to their puny slaves.

IMO, Intel need to step back a little and start focusing on their thermal issues first, before going crazy on wafers. ( AFAIK, they did that and they always sit back, and allow us to complains about it, AND they will fix it in next gen chips, and selling it again, wasting our money.. ) [iPhone 4, conscience? ]

NOW it would be very nice to see both of Intel and Nvidia battling each other with those super-slicky graphics blades, and manufactured and lap-less heatsink shields in coliseum!

Back