AMD Radeon HD 6970 benchmark numbers leaked?

Jos

Staff

AMD might have just launched the new Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 graphics cards a week ago, but many are already looking forward to the company's real high-end offering: the Cayman-based Radeon HD 6970. We don’t expect the new cards to hit stores until sometime next month, but Chinese-language site Zol.com claims to have got its hands on a sample and has posted some benchmark results for the world to see.

The site’s numbers cover both 3DMark Vantage and the Unigine Heaven benchmark, with the Radeon HD 6970 allegedly scoring 23,499 on the first one while delivering 36.6fps on the Unigine benchmark running at 1920 x 1,080 with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. By comparison, a GTX 480 on the same platform scored 21,106 in 3DMark and ran Unigine Heaven at 29.5fps, while an HD 5870 managed 19,337 and 17.3, respectively.

Going by these numbers it looks like AMD’s upcoming card will bring a 10% performance improvement over Nvidia’s flagship card, the GTX 480, while boasting around 20% greater performance the Radeon HD 5870 it’s replacing. With the Radeon HD 6870 putting on an impressive show, we're definitely looking forward to see how the new Cayman-based Radeon cards perform. For now, though, we’ll take this leak with a grain of salt.

Permalink to story.

looks good

the market is on fire new card every few weeks

to be honest the 6870 is already a hit performance vs price

It's exciting how ATI and Nvidia keep turning out quality cards, but my HD4890 is already starting to look really slow. Sign me up for one!

'with the Radeon HD 6970 allegedly scoring 23,499 on the first one while delivering 36.6fps on the Unigine benchmark running at 1920 x 1,080 with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.' ...Without consuming a nuclear power plant and heating more than a volcano in eruption ;)

Cueto_99 said:
'with the Radeon HD 6970 allegedly scoring 23,499 on the first one while delivering 36.6fps on the Unigine benchmark running at 1920 x 1,080 with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.' ...Without consuming a nuclear power plant and heating more than a volcano in eruption ;)

Let's hope so :p

How is it all these video card leaks are coming from China? Same thing with the two 460 GPU card mentioned the other day.

The 6970 looks great if it can deliver on the performance side without killing everyone's PSU. I personally would love to have one of these bad boys. i would have thought that the 6970 would have been 30% faster than the 5870 to make it a worth while upgrade for most people looks like the 7000 series are going to be the next big thing from AMD.

TomSEA said:
How is it all these video card leaks are coming from China? Same thing with the two 460 GPU card mentioned the other day.
Cause videocards are manufactured there... So they have early access to products...

ATI has definitely stepped up it's competition in the last year or two. Prior to that I didn't even consider purchasing an ATI card.

"the company's real high-end offering"

Technically, the Cayman is a replacement for the 5870. The 'Real' high end offering is the Monster 'Antilles' supposedly due for an early December release. :D

I think they might have to have to recreate a new way to liquid cool. I won't say anything official till the official specs come out.

I'm surprised at how well my 9800GTX+ has kept up with the times, but looking at this, I may have to upgrade sometime this year

Seeing as how the 6850/6870 Is such a vast improvement over its REAL predecessor (the 5770), I'd say this is entirely possible, and more.

This means that there's going to be a 6950 as well... right? :3 Somehow just looking at the numbers gets me off xD

OH, and its about time AMD gave a beating back to nVidia anyway. Team green has been too complacent, sitting back on their recliners, getting shiatsu massages while drinking whiskey, talking about good times haha

I will gladly invest my savings in this card, I just hope the price will be awesome like the card :)

Firstly, I'd say that NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) means nothing in the Chinese tech community- You may have noted that China plays by it's own set of rules. Secondly, most "leaks" like this are condoned, if not prompted by the company itself. Gradual "leaking" of specs and appearance ramp interest in a product without the company itself having to resort to a "paper launch" (Fermi excepted) and risking a waning of that interest by the time of actual product launch.
Speculation on what could/should/will be fuels the internet forums generating a much more long-lived PR campaign than does a simple company press release and slide deck at a trade show.

Regarding the HD 6970....I thought the numbers seemed a little low. I was fully expecting a 25-30% improvement over the HD 5870 (so 15-20% over the GTX 480 by extrapolation). Either AMD is leaving some performance on the table for future upgrades, they are foxing just in case nvidia is toying with a GTX 580 release, or the thermals of the new chip are higher than expected.

6850 and 6870 are based on Barts single core technology
6950 and 6970 will be based on Cayman single core technology
6990 will be based on Antilles dual core technology
this means that 6970 is a Single core GPU and it is the replacement for today's 5870 GPU.

Back