AMD Radeon Preview Driver 2022: 50 Game Benchmark

Thanks for taking the time to do this review Steve. Much appreciated.

While the update is not exactly earth shattering these are some nice gains.
What I am curious about is
- What AMD did to improve DX11 performance / is this a ground up driver re-write?
- Will it also show similar results for older GPU ?

Last edited:
So have the new drivers simply overclocked the CPU a bit more? Might be worth checking on a Intel system.

I always had the feeling with AMD that their drivers are the limiting factor, like the GPU horsepower is there but it can't put the power down. "Fine wine technology" is a good indicator of that.

There have been similar driver releases before that improved performance out of nowhere and some now old AMD GPUs are faster than Nvidia equivalent ones while before Nvidia had the lead.

Any improvement is certainly noteworthy - as long as system stability remains the same or better.

I'd be curious to see if these gains are seen when using an Intel CPU.

So where does it come from?
Were the clocks higher in the preview driver or they just let us pay for mediocre drivers first then do this circus to show how great they are? Is DX11 new to them?

Why do people keep assuming its higher clocks or overclocking the cpu and its not just reducing the DX11 overhead in the driver which has been there for a very long time.

So where does it come from?
Were the clocks higher in the preview driver or they just let us pay for mediocre drivers first then do this circus to show how great they are? Is DX11 new to them?
reducing driver overhead is not exactly easy. who knows what the limiting factor has been until now.

Tried it out on my 6800xt and it completely disabled advanced sound settings on my home theater PC. Options for Dolby Atmos totally missing, only choice of Mono or Stereo sound. Not even 5.1 or 7.1.

Thought it was just a bad install, ran DDU, tried again and same scenario. Returned to latest recommended driver and all my settings are back. Reported to AMD, but doubt I'll ever hear anything as I'm probably one of less than 100 people in the world who use a 6800xt in their home theater. Who knows though.

Tried it out on my 6800xt and it completely disabled advanced sound settings on my home theater PC. Options for Dolby Atmos totally missing, only choice of Mono or Stereo sound. Not even 5.1 or 7.1.

Thought it was just a bad install, ran DDU, tried again and same scenario. Returned to latest recommended driver and all my settings are back. Reported to AMD, but doubt I'll ever hear anything as I'm probably one of less than 100 people in the world who use a 6800xt in their home theater. Who knows though.
6800XT is the same chip as 6800 & 6900XT, so maybe the issue will get some attention.

No surprise at 4K, the 192bit bus is a total gimp for 4K, and it's not a 4K card, so it doesn't really matter if the drivers do didly squat at that res.

Back