AMD Radeon RX 480 benchmarks, bare PCB photos leak ahead of next week's launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AMD has already seeded samples of its upcoming Radeon RX 480 graphics card to select publications. On Thursday, the GPU maker decided to let reviewers publish pictures of the card albeit only the externals.

Predictably, someone also leaked a load of benchmarks and related data that indicates the card performs similarly to the Radeon R9 Fury and GTX 980. Here’s everything we know at this hour.

YouTube user GGPC (Good Gaming PC) has published benchmark videos purportedly showing the Radeon RX 480 running Doom, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Counter-Strike: GO, Overwatch and Grand Theft Auto V complete with frame counters. The aforementioned clips have been embedded below Update: Videos have been removed from YouTube, but for those who were looking to watch, fps counter was showing steady performance comparable to that of a GTX 980 as mentioned above.

PCOnline managed to get ahold of a Radeon RX 480 from Sapphire and promptly got about removing the heatsink for a closer look:

The AMD RX 480 is rumored to launch next week. When it does, be sure to check back here as we'll have a full review ready to go!

Lead image courtesy PC World

Permalink to story.

If I can fit my G10+H55 on this card I may actually grab one to see how far I can push it.

The short stubby PCB though is making me doubt the compatibility.

They're going to have to sell this thing for a nickel if all they expect to compete with is the now 3 year old GTX 980.

They're going to have to sell this thing for a nickel if all they expect to compete with is the now 3 year old GTX 980.

These are mid range parts so I believe pricing is $199-$299 area.

How much does a retail GTX 980 cost?

I have a small ITX case with a short(er) GTX 970 in it. Wonder if this will fit, and provide better performance.

I have a small ITX case with a short(er) GTX 970 in it. Wonder if this will fit, and provide better performance.

This card is shorter than a GTX 970 so it may very well fit and it is certain they will come out with even shorter cards later as well. It will provide better performance than a 970 and will likely overclock just as well if not better.

This card looks really awesome for 200 USD, you can't get that kind of performance for that price on any card.

GTX 980 did not come out 3 years ago. Less than 2 years ago, if I recall. This is also very typical for any mid-range gpu. That's like saying the GTX 970 was worthless because it had similar performance to the GTX Titan, which was over a year and a half old at the time.

980 launched September 18, 2014. So 980 is still less than two years old.

Prices have already been annouced at $199 (4gb version) and $239-249 (8gb version).

Why hasn't AMD allowed reviews by now? NVIDIA's were released 20 days prior to launch.

Actually it was 10 days. Card launched on the 27th and reviews came out on the 17th. Nvidia had to put out reviews early to build hype. AMD does not have to do that given this isn't their top end cards. A lot of people buying the 1080 probably needed that much time to get the money together just to buy the card as well.

oO magine now guys if this card could push some good overclocks and gets near to a gtx 980ti level of performance, is going to sell like hot cakes. I hope the AIB coolers will keep this card cooler for even better bang for buck

The 980 and 980Ti prices have already plummeted now that the 1080 is out. I see them dropping even more with the 1070 shredding everything around it for the price.
Nvidia's new GPU's are the best generation to generation boost from either side in 5+ years, the 1080 doubling the 980's performance made most of AMD's offerings look ridiculous.
AMD needs to do what they do best, offer an inferior product at a lesser cost.

The GTX 980 was released in September 2014 so.. divide carry the two and yup not even 2 years old yet. How were you able to get one 3 years ago?

The 980 and 980Ti prices have already plummeted now that the 1080 is out. I see them dropping even more with the 1070 shredding everything around it for the price.
Nvidia's new GPU's are the best generation to generation boost from either side in 5+ years, the 1080 doubling the 980's performance made most of AMD's offerings look ridiculous.

I think you mean "better product at a lower price". Nvidia set the bar pretty low when they released their founders edition cards with 'premium components" for $100 more when in reality it was just a reference card with regular components. If that's Nvidia's idea of "top shelf" I'm really glad they are board partners.

I think you mean "better product at a lower price". Nvidia set the bar pretty low when they released their founders edition cards with 'premium components" for $100 more when in reality it was just a reference card with regular components. If that's Nvidia's idea of "top shelf" I'm really glad they are board partners.
I agree, but you also could have said Pro Duo or Fury X. Both make the 1080 and 980 look bad if you care about sheer performance (FPP). "the 1080 doubling the 980's performance made most of AMD's offerings look ridiculous"

$749.88 for the R9 Fury X, vs $1000 for the 1080.
http://www.hwcompare.com/30200/geforce-gtx-1080-vs-radeon-r9-fury-x/

$619 for the 1070
http://www.hwcompare.com/30446/geforce-gtx-1070-vs-radeon-r9-fury-x/

I think it goes without saying that, unless you're going 4K HD, or don't mind the way Nvidia does their textures (Bad in some games, unless they fixed it recently), you can pay $130 less for the 1070 and get less performance overall.
However, if you're doing 1080p gaming, AMD has the most powerful offerings, and skim a few FPS for 4k.

Pick your poison, but the statement "ridiculous" may apply elsewhere to some.

Define "plummeted" please? Other than a particular part in a weekly or daily special, I have to see anything one could mistake as a price drop with the GTX 980 and Tis. When I see a GTX 980 Ti for $250.00 USD on a daily basis, I will consider the 980s to have plummeted in price.

Even if they price these cards at $100.00 lower than the 1080, they will still be purchased by those who just can't reach the 1080 and they settle. Yet, the older cards will definitely still be overpriced at that mark.

I agree, but you also could have said Pro Duo or Fury X. Both make the 1080 and 980 look bad if you care about sheer performance (FPP). "the 1080 doubling the 980's performance made most of AMD's offerings look ridiculous"

Why do I continue to see this misinformation being perpetuated?! The 1080 did NOT double the performance of the 980. Some VR tests have shown that result. The performance across the board (no pun intended) fails to "double" performance of the GTX 970 (both at stock), albeit by a mere 1-2 FPS here and there. Still, practically and almost are not accurate descriptions of a definite quality or quantity.

Here the 1070, if you can get one, all backordered at my local shop, sell for $570-$630 CAD. Although 550 euro on 25 Jun converts to $795 CAD, Ouch!!

Back