AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Review: Navi at $280, RTX 2060 down to $300

You're not wrong about this being messy. Difficult for consumers to choose, even ones that are informed!

The prices are so close together it will heavily depend on what is available to you in your area.

All these parts are so close in price to the 5700 though. When you can get them easily for $310 then I would say go for that and the extra memory and bandwidth.

Unless I was seeing the OC versions of the 5600XT for at least $40 less than that I wouldn't be that interested in them.

No, not for 1080p gaming with these modern cards for the next 2-3 years. You will always have "fan boys" stating how they are future proofing with 8GB+ cards...except for the fact they are the same people who will be upgrading their 8GB+ cards in 2-3 years anyways

Yah RAM-size is like you-know-what size for computer geeks. The only game I play that uses close to 8GB is DCS World, but it's an anomaly, and that's at 1440p. I could easily run it with a 6GB card at 1080p.

Time to cut that 2060 Price tag anoter $20!

Might wanna cut the 2060 Super as well

That would be the appropriate business strategy. AMD came out swinging in the midrange segment this time.

Even though I use the 5700XT in my main rig, I think I would still lean towards the RTX 2060, especially the EVGA's KO model if I were choosing to upgrade my secondary rig today.

That would be the appropriate business strategy. AMD came out swinging in the midrange segment this time.

Even though I use the 5700XT in my main rig, I think I would still lean towards the RTX 2060, especially the EVGA's KO model if I were choosing to upgrade my secondary rig today.

May be worth checking the 2060 KO reviews (TPU has one).

If a 2060 were on my shopping list, I'd definitely go for the FE instead of the "El cheapo" edition that's using RTX 16xx series cooling (as compared to the 5600 XT which has the same cooling solution as the next better model).

Now that there are SO many cards available in a fairly small price window, it's hard not to keep saying "I'll spend a few dollars more for the next tier"... all of a sudden, though, you're spending $500 instead of $300...

Yah RAM-size is like you-know-what size for computer geeks. The only game I play that uses close to 8GB is DCS World, but it's an anomaly, and that's at 1440p. I could easily run it with a 6GB card at 1080p.
the extra 2-4GB is actually worth a lot for those that have hobbies outside of 1080p gaming. for example encoding and rendering consume a lot of VRAM and so does 1440p gaming.

and if you like to use mods... some of them use a ton of VRAM because of the very high quality assets (or just high number of them). Skyrim mods regularly reach over 6gb VRAM usage.

Last edited:
You're missing the card the 5600XT is supposed to go up against. The 1660 Ti...

Canada Computers:
Cheapest 1660 Ti is $349cdn on sale. Cheapest 5600XT is $429cdn.

Half the 1660 TI's are on sale well below $400. 5600XT will be a very hard sell here.

The 5600 XT is kind of a big middle-finger to everyone that bought the RX 5700. Fewer than 10 fps difference (averaged) for $60 less. The 6GB is kind of WTF too.

Honestly, all this does is show us how screwed up mid-range GPU pricing really is. The 5700 should have been $280-$300 out of the gate, and the 5600 XT should be $240-$260.

Canada Computers:

Half the 1660 TI's are on sale well below $400. 5600XT will be a very hard sell here.
Looking at Newegg (only new cards, only sold by Newegg), the cheapest 1660 Ti is $ 269 (you can get an additional $20 off mail in card). All others are $279 and up.

Considering that you can get a premium OC 5600XT model from Sapphire for $289 and how far behind the 1660Ti is wrt performance, that seems like a hard sell.

Oh, and checking Canada Computers' web site, the cheapest RX 5600XT is $399 (Gigabyte OC model).

Last edited:
Looking at Newegg (only new cards, only sold by Newegg), the cheapest 1660 Ti is $ 269 (you can get an additional $20 off mail in card). All others are $279 and up.

Considering that you can get a premium OC 5600XT model from Sapphire for $289 and how far behind the 1660Ti is wrt performance, that seems like a hard sell.

Oh, and checking Canada Computers' web site, the cheapest RX 5600XT is $399 (Gigabyte OC model).

Yeah how about 1660 Super, it basically is the 1660 Ti at 230usd

https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-TUF-GTX1660S-O6G-GAMING/dp/B081SPGMBD

these 1660Super has the same perf/$ does not require bios flash, has good overclocking headroom and feature wise it's the same as 5600XT (minus the driver and fan speed issue that 5600XT is having)

And it seems like AMD cant lower the price any further, that's why they did a last minute overclocking with the "bios update" lol.

Last edited:
Now that there are SO many cards available in a fairly small price window, it's hard not to keep saying "I'll spend a few dollars more for the next tier"... all of a sudden, though, you're spending $500 instead of $300...
That's better than not having options. It's up to you to keep yourself from eventually buying SLi 2080 Ti's.

Time to cut that 2060 Price tag anoter $20!

Might wanna cut the 2060 Super as well

As a business it's not a good idea to lower prices multiple times in quick succession. It makes your product look overpriced and gives people the impression that prices will lower again if they wait.

A company with a brain will pick a good price from the start and stick with it for a decent period of time.

Why bother lowering prices when all your products pretty much sell like hot cakes already ;)

2020bd00a654-f82d-41ec-abcc-3801135acdfc.jpg

Very Interesting comparison between the results here and the results at Tom's Hardware

Similar test systems, slightly different games, different settings (Techspot is typically "high" and Tom's are "ultra") but completely different conclusion. They concluded that the Sapphire RX 5600 XT Pulse OC was faster than the 2060 by about 5 to 7%.

Maybe something to look into at different quality levels. I know how much you love staying up all night benchmarking... ;)

Canada Computers:

1. MSRP vs sale price is not a valid comparison. Sales are limited time events that apply to specific models in a specific time period. They aren't values that can be taken and applied to a comparison because they are not prices that are broadly available.

2. Here's a non-cherry picked example where I provide a source. Amazon.ca pricing is as follows: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=1660+ti&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

$370 - $422 CAD or $283.01 - $322.79 USD

2. The 5600XT is faster then the 1660 Ti. Whether you live in the US or Canada, you are looking at paying the same amount for less performance.

What happened to the fortnite test? The most popular game and it isn’t even benchmarked. It even has a dx12 option now

IMO, best value gaming options with a decent step up in 1080p FPS are:

$130 for 73 FPS - RX 570
$230 for 101 FPS - GTX 1660 Super
$290 for 135 FPS - RX 5600 XT

Next up is probably the $400 RX 5700 XT and the next/last "realistic" step is the $720 RTX 2080 Super.

Given it’s marketed as a 1080p card, 6GB seems a reasonable move to keep costs down. I think they have made a mess though no need for the 5500XT and 5600XT IMO and now 5600XT is too close to the 5700, although that is a better choice for 1440p gaming. But they still should that a slight price cut and a slight boost in performance to give it more breathing space.

Why is that interesting - and actually, it was Nvidia who went lower with their prices...

Probably cause there isn't much else to crow about..
Year late and despite smaller process node 5600XT OC models only just competitive with stock 2060, at least if you're ok with not having any raytracing, DLSS, NVENC, better texture compression that will make 6GB go farther, or wide availability including laptops..

It's also a questionable statement. Who really believes Nvidia has no room left to lower prices on TU106?

Back