AMD Radeon RX 6600 Review: The Best Option in a Bad Situation?

It's still not the best option, as at MSRP it's a rip off comapred to the now 2 year old 5600xt and the performance it offered.

The best option is to not buy anything. Prices will nto come down until people stop paying scalper pricing. At thsi point the retailers are goign to keep the prices high until sales finally stop because people need their gaming fix.

go outside, read a book, or play through your back catalog of older games that will run on a toaster. Dont give these guys any mroe of your money until they come back down to earth.

So damn expensive, I wonder if the rumored (Yet likely) new round of Nvidia cards will have team green also be more honesty about the state of the GPU world and just severely increase MSRP like "Oh we have a new 3060 super model but this one is USD 550 even though it's not faster than a 3070 because lol, we know you haven't been able to pay 600 for a 3070 for a year now"

The card really should have come in at $299 (ideally $279) and undercut the RTX 3060 since the performance is roughly the same.

Right now the 6600 is priced about 15% less than the 6600XT and it gives around 15% less performance then it, too.

It appears to be a solid 1080p card, much like the RTX 3060 is. If I were just looking for a 1080p gaming card and was okay with the $329 and could actually get one at $329, I'd rather put $329 down on a new card over trying to buy a second hand GPU for a similar price that doesn't give as much performance.

The card really should have come in at $299 (ideally $279) and undercut the RTX 3060 since the performance is roughly the same.

Right now the 6600 is priced about 15% less than the 6600XT and it gives around 15% less performance then it, too.

It appears to be a solid 1080p card, much like the RTX 3060 is. If I were just looking for a 1080p gaming card and was okay with the $329 and could actually get one at $329, I'd rather put $329 down on a new card over trying to buy a second hand GPU for a similar price that doesn't give as much performance.
Except at that price it's still a ripoff, the 5600xt was $279 and offers 88% the performance. The RX 580 was available at $200 and still funtions well at 1080p.

There is no reason a 1080p card in 2021 should have a MSRP over $220, where the 580 was 5 years ago.

WTH is AMD doing using an x8 PCI-E interface? The last x8 card I ever saw was an AGP card. One of the big reasons that PCI-E replaced AGP to begin with was the fact that it was capable of x16 (literally double the bandwidth capability of AGP) and now AMD is reverting?

Just stupid.

WTH is AMD doing using an x8 PCI-E interface? The last x8 card I ever saw was an AGP card. One of the big reasons that PCI-E replaced AGP to begin with was the fact that it was capable of x16 (literally double the bandwidth capability of AGP) and now AMD is reverting?

Just stupid.
PCIe x16 is a reference to the number of physical lanes, not directly aimed at being "double AGP". Apparently you missed the 5500xt entirely two years ago?

To answer your question: AMD is trying to cheap out wherever possible, by coincidence this can kneecap performance on their opposition's platform since intel is still mostly PCIe 3.0. I'm sure that's entirely coincedental.

So, I may be able to buy a card with enough computational power to run 1970s NORAD for twice its MRSP because there are thousands of speculators buying up every card they can find in order to build castles in the air. The castles use up prodigious amounts of energy in a world that needs energy for other purposes and, in the end, get reduced to a mark in some kind of galactic ledger with no names attached.

Sounds like a plot for a bad sit-com.

Except at that price it's still a ripoff, the 5600xt was $279 and offers 88% the performance. The RX 580 was available at $200 and still funtions well at 1080p.

There is no reason a 1080p card in 2021 should have a MSRP over $220, where the 580 was 5 years ago.
Prices have been going up on everything, unless that is, you don't pay for anything so you're not aware of it?

Groceries, for example, has seen roughly a 20% increase in cost just over the past 18 months. Where I used to normally spend around $200 every couple of weeks for a family of 4, it is now easily $240+. 5 years ago it was rare to hit that $200 price at the grocery store, it was usually more around $175 at the top end for me. In the past 5 years it's easy to see that groceries have gone up around 30%.

A 30% increase from 220 is almost $290. Take it as you want, but prices have gone up - sadly they've gone up more in some aspects of life than others.

"The Best Option in a Bad Situation?"
Unless you need to replace a dead GPU, the best option is to just wait it out with what you've got. The "least worst" option here is just another outrageous ripoff.

My B450 / B550 = UNABLE to fully use this SAD card: first one was downgraded FROM 4.0 to 3.0 by AMD for marketing reasons ( made some B470 look bad) and second one by me: I had to disable PCIe 4.0 gen in order to have functioning USB ports with a B550. AMD... stick with console toys, you kinda suck.

If you have anything 1060 6GB or better in your PC the RX 6600 makes no sense. That being said, if you have been waiting on a GPU with your integrated graphics card and you just want to play games and are not worried about resolution this may not be a bad purchase. Just remember, if and when things return to normal MSRP you will probably still be able to recoup 50-70% of the cost by selling the card. That might be a price you are willing to pay if you just need something to play games. Yeah its overpriced, but look around everything is right now.

In the normal market, this GPU would cost 200-250$ at most. They're just setting a high MSRP because they have plenty in stock to satisfy the big boys of the company. For which I can't blame them, every single person here would most likely do the same. More money = better lifestyle, who doesn't want that?

Bought the 6600xt not long after release had new pc ready and waiting for a few months minus a graphics card thought was the best buy for availability else would of been 3070ti founders edition but they were far and few between.
No regrets even if I did get ripped off, wont be upgrading until prices get back to normal though.

What a terrible bunch of cards AMD is releasing. They are clearly behind Nvidia in features, popularity and arguably performance yet they think releasing dogshit expensive cards is gonna make them look favourable. All this because they know gamers have no choice.

This gives you an insight of what AMD would be like if they were dominant like Intel was. They would pretty much be the same as Intel.

Bought the 6600xt not long after release had new pc ready and waiting for a few months minus a graphics card thought was the best buy for availability else would of been 3070ti founders edition but they were far and few between.
No regrets even if I did get ripped off, wont be upgrading until prices get back to normal though.
A lot of suckers don't regret getting ripped off, that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

A lot of suckers don't regret getting ripped off, that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

How is he a sucker - did you actually read his post a PC with no GPU is no PC - did he they tell you the price ?? .
I was in a similar boat - I went with a 3080 about $225 over USD$925 sales tax on top - seemed the best deal - next was a 6800 , 6700 - didn't make sense paying 30% less to get a 3060TI - and just about no one is getting msrp in NZ at the moment .
Am I a sucker - did not affect any other spending ?- did not feel any poorer - did not miss the money . Made no sense taking the 2060 from my m/c - as this PC was for whole family.
2060 cost US$350 + 2 AA games - we don't get the super cheap prices of the USA - but we have much much better warranty

While I think the MSRP is bad for a card that is basically a RX 5600 XT, I do feel that AMD is more forthcoming/ realistic about their MSRP. I know it is very easy to compare MSRP of say the RTX 3060 vs this, but problem is that there is a very low chance that you can find a RTX 3060 at MSRP. That launch day MSRP is unrealistic in today's context. AMD can also play the game of providing a very low MSRP that they have no intention to match even for the first batch.
Anyway, depending on the price of this card when it hits the market, I do still think that it may be worth either not upgrading existing GPUs, or if need to, wait and see if you can snag a RTX 3060 instead. Unless of course the RX 6600 is quite a fair bit cheaper, which I suspect won't be the case since it looks like a great option for miners looking for a power efficient card to use.

Have you looked at what retailers charge for cards like e.g. a 1660 Super ? Last I checked it was around $ 500.

In a normal market cards like the 6600 or 3060 would simply be laughed at even at msrp but this isn't a normal market.

If being lied to with unrealistic msrp makes you feel better that's fine. But arguing a card's value proposition based on it rather than the all around ridiculous prices...

What a terrible bunch of cards AMD is releasing. They are clearly behind Nvidia in features, popularity and arguably performance yet they think releasing dogshit expensive cards is gonna make them look favourable. All this because they know gamers have no choice.

This gives you an insight of what AMD would be like if they were dominant like Intel was. They would pretty much be the same as Intel.
You know AMD has a sub 20% market share in GPU, right, so they can't dictate anything.

And you do have a choice - simply buy a card from the market leader nVidia with low msrp, greater popularity, more features and - in your mind - better performance. See, problem solved.

Too bad AMD decided to no longer sell at (too) low prices in order to make sure nVidia customers get lower prices. And tbh, why should they forego good CPU profit margins to appease to gamers who don't want a Radeon card in the first place unless it's a bargain option sold at cost.

Unless Intel comes out with good GPU at competitive prices, you better get used to higher nVidia GPU prices as AMD will no longer try to sell their GPU for cheap with extremely low profit margins.

Oh my... From a performance standpoint it is nothing more than a 5600 XT with an overclock and 2GB of extra VRAM--all with a higher asking price. This is not advancement, it's stagnation.

But hey! In today's market if you need a functional video card that can play games, you'll buy anything, including this bad value.

Back