AMD Radeon RX 6800M Review: True Gaming Laptop Competition

As always, a very nice review. It‘s good to see that AMD is offering a competitive solution even if it still falls a bit short of the top spot. Considering the price difference that‘s OK in my book.

Asus is using memory modules with slower-than-normal subtimings, which hurts performance in some situations. As such, we’ve swapped out the memory in our system for a more traditional kit with regular timings, allowing us to proceed with more apples-to-apples comparisons with other laptops that don’t suffer from the same issue.
Thank you very much for doing that as the memory seems to make a big difference.

Asus says the use of this particular memory kit is down to supply constraints in the current market.

Oh yes, of course. At least they did not plug vents this time. I think OEM are past getting the benefit of doubt.

Imo, AMD should be stricter with „AMD certified“ .

I’m a bit worried about how superior the 3080 is even when paired with an Intel CPU... obviously this isn’t possible (yet), but would like to see benchmark comparisons with Intel CPU +6800m as well as AMD CPU +3080

Go AMD!

6dba6f69b405ea9f85dd2f474c13738fdb11fa41b735c4ba1006a10cd3ccb337.gif

Gaming laptops in general are hard pass for me also. I need the full desktop experience in a nice comfy high back leather chair with full keyboard and mouse. I'd rather game on a console over a laptop as my secondary.
I have a "gaming laptop" (Alienware 18).... but it's only because they tend to be the laptops with the best specs... I use it at work (I use it to teach) and need the ability to take it home to prepare and test lessons...

As a nice bonus, the kids love that it looks so different than a normal school PC/laptop :)

But yes, if you just want to game, a desktop (or desktop + a console if you need 2) is clearly the way to go - you can generally buy 2 (or more) similarly performing desktops for the price of a high-end gaming laptop.

I have a "gaming laptop" (Alienware 18).... but it's only because they tend to be the laptops with the best specs... I use it at work (I use it to teach) and need the ability to take it home to prepare and test lessons...

As a nice bonus, the kids love that it looks so different than a normal school PC/laptop :)

But yes, if you just want to game, a desktop (or desktop + a console if you need 2) is clearly the way to go - you can generally buy 2 (or more) similarly performing desktops for the price of a high-end gaming laptop.

I'm going to assume that alienware 18 has a fairly large display and its heavy? How is the back and forth with it?

I'm going to assume that alienware 18 has a fairly large display and its heavy? How is the back and forth with it?
It’s heavy - certainly not something I’d want to transport daily.... I take it to and from school once or twice a week... probably weighs 10-15 pounds...

It was top of the line maybe 7-8 years ago.... yet still runs flawlessly - I use it for editing student videos, presenting stuff and regular “office stuff”...

It’s heavy - certainly not something I’d want to transport daily.... I take it to and from school once or twice a week... probably weighs 10-15 pounds...

It was top of the line maybe 7-8 years ago.... yet still runs flawlessly - I use it for editing student videos, presenting stuff and regular “office stuff”...
10-15 lbs jesus ya that is a mobile desktop replacement.

These days I stick with ultra lights when I need you use a laptop for work so 3-4lbs max.

Infinity cache can only so much, AMD shot themselves in the foot with their narrow bus width. Navi 21 at least should have been 320 bit and they would have been far more competitive at 4K and 600XT would beat 3090 in pretty much every game sans RT.

Everyone keeps saying its "competitive". However I dont think so. Whos it for? Who buys a laptop with a 6800M in it over a laptop with a 3080 if all other factors are equal? Its slower than the 3080, uses more power, cant ray trace very well, doesnt have DLSS, it wont give you cuda acceleration in apps. If you pair a 6800M with a Ryzen CPU then you will get dreadful premiere pro performance as none of your hardware can accelerate it.

So really its awful. Consumers should opt for a 3080 model or save money and get a 3070 model. I guess if a 6800M laptop is cheaper than a 3070 laptop then it might make sense. But I hope you werent planning to turn RT on, edit videos or even unplug the thing!

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying its "competitive". However I dont think so. Whos it for? Who buys a laptop with a 6800M in it over a laptop with a 3080 if all other factors are equal? Its slower than the 3080, uses more power, cant ray trace very well, doesnt have DLSS, it wont give you cuda acceleration in apps. If you pair a 6800M with a Ryzen CPU then you will get dreadful premiere pro performance as none of your hardware can accelerate it.

So really its awful. Consumers should opt for a 3080 model or save money and get a 3070 model. I guess if a 6800M laptop is cheaper than a 3070 laptop then it might make sense. But I hope you werent planning to turn RT on..

"Thats not actually true, not even 10% of my comments are "bashing" AMD."

LMAO

So really its awful. Consumers should opt for a 3080 model or save money and get a 3070 model. I guess if a 6800M laptop is cheaper than a 3070 laptop then it might make sense. But I hope you werent planning to turn RT on, edit videos or even unplug the thing!
Because it's notably cheaper? Performance per $ favors the AMD system.

CUDA acceleration? Bruh nobody buys gaming laptops for serious work involving CUDA.
RayTracing is a meme. You can barely see it on desktops with 4k displays you sit right next too.
If you want DLSS just run the games at 720p LMFAO. Vaseline-o-vision doesnt need Nvidia.

If I need to accelerate premiere pro I'll use a desktop. If you can afford one of these laptops you can afford a seperate desktop for rendering purposes.

CUDA acceleration? Bruh nobody buys gaming laptops for serious work involving CUDA.
RayTracing is a meme. You can barely see it on desktops with 4k displays you sit right next too.
If you want DLSS just run the games at 720p LMFAO. Vaseline-o-vision doesnt need Nvidia.

If I need to accelerate premiere pro I'll use a desktop. If you can afford one of these laptops you can afford a seperate desktop for rendering purposes.

LMFAO calm down, it's a comment on the internet.
RT is really not a factor for me because I refuse to stop playing and stare at stuff. I know there is a real dedication to stop for screenshots, but It's just not my thing.

This is good to see but are laptop manufacturers really going to encourage lower priced gaming laptops? They probably make more profit percentage on the Radeon laptops but they will still make more money on the higher priced Geforce laptops surely?

You are incorrect. looking at prices in the UK the 6800M models seem to cost around the same as the 3080 laptops. Actually I found a 3080 laptop cheaper than any 6800m laptop. So once again, why would someone pay money for the weaker higher performing part?

Also a modern Intel i5 with quicksync will do pretty well at premiere pro, you don’t need an expensive laptop. It’s actually quite embarrassing for AMD s that you can spend £1500 on a laptop that can be beaten in Adobe apps by a laptop for 1/3 the price. Or once again you could buy a 3080 laptop as it’s also faster in gaming and will last longer on battery.

"Another thing to note is that while the Strix G15 ships with 16GB of dual-channel DDR4-3200 memory, Asus is using memory modules with slower-than-normal subtimings, which hurts performance in some situations."

3200MHz memory with less than ideal sub-timings? I'm intrigued.

Are they a secret?

stop playing and stare at stuff.
"How dare you ignore that insane amount of work that we did on that static puddle, for you to ignore it!!"

In all seriousness, I can only find puddles, some other paused images to "admire" RT. Yet the drones keeps repeating RT+DLSS forevah!! as something that is really indispensable as of right now.

That said, I did like how Quake 2 looked after getting the RT treatment.

This is all true but you guys do realize that nVidia doesn't have an RTX 3080 laptop in this price range? This type of product has a planned obsolescence since it's only purpose is to sell a potential competitor to nVidia's most powerful mobile GPU for less money. A laptop with proper implementation of an RX 6800M will cost more but you will still think it's cheaper since it most likely will be a little cheaper. It is the bottom of the barrel high end laptop put inside a popular OEM, which will sell fine enough to me a product (RX 6800M) relevant. And in my opinion it's in the same category with the "power consumption" label nVidia has been putting on their newer products. It seems like no one can give a proper "first gen" product these days, there is always a catch.

Great review Tim! I wonder if an investigation into this memory issue might be in order. Is it possible the NVidia based laptops from the same line have memory with tighter timings? I wouldn't put it past NVidia to pay Asus to subtly hurt AMDs performance on their new flagship mobile GPU. How many people pay attention to memory timings on a laptop? I'm just glad one of the first reviewers to put out an article on this laptop was smart enough to find the bottleneck.

Back