AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE Re-Review: You Can Buy the Golden Rabbit Now

Why did you test the version that won't even be sold in most parts of the world? That doesn't make any sense, apart from being the model with most limited TDP. These results differ greatly from those shown in the TechpowerUp review. lol

Here in East Europe you can buy 7900GRE since launch day at about 600 euros...big retail stores not else.
Today price 505 Euro + VAT.

I'm guessing AMD's original concept of hawking Navi 31 XL to laptop OEMs didn't work out as well as they'd hoped. The silver lining is that they're now sitting on enough unwanted dies to roll out desktop Golden Rabbits to the whole world. I'm sure somebody is excited.

Someone was talking to me about how the GRE is actually a bargin in terms of compute tasks. In things like folding it can give very similar performance to a 7900XT at a cost closer to a 7800xt.

A strange score for a strange product imo. A single digit of difference comparing to the 7800xt does not justify much the price. Even the name "7900" cause it might cause customers to think that it performs in the class of the 7900xt while it's much closer to a 7800xt. I think it should be called a "7800xt Special Edition" or "7800xt GRE".

A strange score for a strange product imo. A single digit of difference comparing to the 7800xt does not justify much the price. Even the name "7900" cause it might cause customers to think that it performs in the class of the 7900xt while it's much closer to a 7800xt. I think it should be called a "7800xt Special Edition" or "7800xt GRE".

Which is effectively what it is by any other standards but what's under the hood (still don't quite understand that) Better all round that it be called (for a wider distribution anyway) a 7800XTX or 7800XT Super or whatever than any connotation it's anything like a 7900XT. I mean, it's not as egregious as Nvidia's 4080/not a 4080/unlaunched etc split given it's original special single market status but still jarring and slightly deceptive for some.

I figure 12GB will be enough at 1440p below for the remainder of this console generation. Also at 4K if you make use of DLSS/FSR2 Balanced or Performance in certain games and maybe knock textures and shadows down a notch in more demanding titles.

Technically this is still based on Navi 31, and the naming convention is appropriate in my opinion. The unfortunate fact is the performance is severely gimped to not cannibalise their more expensive RX 7900 XT. Interestingly, I think this proves something is not working well for Navi 3x because despite the steep increase in hardware over the 7800 XT, it barely outperforms it. And yet there are situations where the 7900 GRE performs quite a lot better. I understand that the 7800 XT have higher core and memory clock speed, but I don’t think it’s enough to explain the lack of performance improvement.

Golden Rabbit is a very strange name. I understand how they got there but what next year, platinum donkey edition? Silver Sloth?

For just 50 dollar more, 4070 Super is faster at 1080p/1440p and equal at 4K...... and much faster when using RT

4070 Super also have better performance per watt, and more features (like DLSS).. Upscalling is becoming necessarily for Unreal Engine 5 games because UE5 titles are too demanding

Also, even though 7900GRE is equal at 4K, many game don't run well on native 4K which means you have to use upscalling to get 60fps and Nvidia has better upscalling tech.... In many cases, even DLSS balanced mode match or beat FSR quality mode

In other words, 4070 Super is better to buy..... 50 extra dollar is noting.

Seems like just getting a 7800XT for less is the better option or the 4070 Super for a little more. The GRE isn't a terrible deal but it's basically an ever so slightly better 7800XT but for $50 more. It doesn't seem to warrant that $50 premium.

GRE screams for more memory bandwidth, has more grunt but cannot make a difference over 7800XT. Need a 20Gbps version to have a point.

Did AMD gimp the memory hard or is OC possible here? GRE sounds stupid, why would they not call it 7800XTX or 7850XT instead.

"XTX" sounds stupid on its own but at least less stupid than GREEN RABBIT EDITION

For just 50 dollar more, 4070 Super is faster at 1080p/1440p and equal at 4K...... and much faster when using RT

4070 Super also have better performance per watt, and more features (like DLSS).. Upscalling is becoming necessarily for Unreal Engine 5 games because UE5 titles are too demanding

Also, even though 7900GRE is equal at 4K, many game don't run well on native 4K which means you have to use upscalling to get 60fps and Nvidia has better upscalling tech.... In many cases, even DLSS balanced mode match or beat FSR quality mode

In other words, 4070 Super is better to buy..... 50 extra dollar is noting.
Those 50 dollars are used up in electricity in no time

7900 GRE uses 75-80 watts more than 4070 SUPER in gaming + much more with multi monitor / video playback

7900 GRE uses 64 watts during video playback, 4070 SUPER uses 15 watts, more than 4 times higher

7900 GRE spikes at 140 watts higher

All this while delivering identical raster performance, much worse RT performance, with worse features (FSR, FSR 3 Frame Gen, AFMF, ReLive, Anti Lag + ... Every single feature is inferior to the Nvidia alternative, which is to be expected since you don't get ahead by copying others. All AMD has gone in the last 3 generations is copy/paste)

And this is why AMD is cheaper ladies and gentlemen.

Personally I am starting to miss ATi, which had full focus on GPUs.

Last edited:
Golden Rabbit is a very strange name. I understand how they got there but what next year, platinum donkey edition? Silver Sloth?

Rabbit is part of the Chinese Zodiac. They named it such cause it was an Asia exclusive for the Lunar New Year. Gold is one of elements. There is no donkey or sloth. Educate yourself a little more into cultures before posting such an ignorant comment.

Rabbit is part of the Chinese Zodiac... There is no donkey or sloth. Educate yourself a little more into cultures before posting such an ignorant comment.
And yet the card is now sold around the world, not just China. Norse mythology includes a rat-tooth squirrel that acts as messenger to the gods, and Hindu mythology includes a goddess of death who wears a garland of severed heads, yet we don't name video cards after those. How familiar are you with those cultures?

On a related note, when working in Asia, I ate at countless restaurants called "The Golden ****". Yet those opening Chinese restaurants in the US and Europe generally do a better job of branding. Surely AMD can do the same?

(Edit: Techspot's auto-censor wisely edited the restaurant name, however I'm sure the original meaning is clear)

Back