AMD releases Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black special edition

jsilva

Staff
What just happened? Based on community feedback, AMD has released a special Midnight Black edition of the Radeon RX 6800 XT reference design. AMD Red Team members received an email informing them about the new color scheme beforehand, giving them an advance to pick one up. Not surprisingly, they are already sold out.

In an email sent to AMD Red Team community members, the company announced that it would make available the Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black graphics card at 06:00 AM PST on April 7, 2021. The card will be available for a limited time and while supplies last.

"Based on community feedback and popular demand, we have created a select quantity of AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (Midnight Black) graphics cards featuring the same great performance of the widely popular AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT," said an AMD representative.

As it seems, the only difference between the Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black and the original Radeon RX 6800 XT are in the aesthetics, featuring a black shroud with gray accents around the middle fan.

Similar to the reference Radeon RX 6800 XT, the Midnight Black edition packs the Navi 21 XT GPU with 4608 stream processors and 72 ray accelerators. Moreover, it also features 16GB of GDDR6 memory and 128MB of Infinity Cache.

While stock lasted, the Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight Black was available for $649.00 on AMD's website.

Considering the ongoing GPU shortage, it was to be expected that grabbing one of these would be very hard unless you got first dibs by being a member of the Red Team community. If you didn't have the chance to buy one from AMD, you can always trust an eBay scalper will sell one for three times the MSRP.

Permalink to story.

NightAntilli

The real shame should be the manufacturers even letting it happen in the first place. All they have to do is ship them to stores instead of online. But they won't or will claim covid issues.
It's unrealistic to expect the sub 500 billion dollar companies to be able to do anything about an asset class that's worth over one trillion.

duckofdeath

The real shame should be the manufacturers even letting it happen in the first place. All they have to do is ship them to stores instead of online. But they won't or will claim covid issues.
They are shipping them to those store. The problem is, those stores are cashing in on the shortage too, by only selling that new GPU or CPU in a fully pre-built PC. It's not hard to get your hands on these cards, as long as you buy the full 3,000 dollar PC.

VitalyT

Whoosh! .... The sheer speed of this thing.... gone!

Whaaat? Gone, it's all gone... But they've just rolled it out... And now they don't, ops!

duckofdeath

It doesn't seem like AMD has secured their whole site infrastructure particularly well against bots. I mean, it's pretty much down now thanks to this little stunt.

Kosmoz

They are shipping them to those store. The problem is, those stores are cashing in on the shortage too, by only selling that new GPU or CPU in a fully pre-built PC. It's not hard to get your hands on these cards, as long as you buy the full 3,000 dollar PC.
Indeed, the stores are really scummy. Both individual GPUs and pre-built PCs have scalper prices now. They had them for 3-4 months actually depending on the region. The last place where pre-built PCs got scalper prices was US, but most of the rest of the world had it bad since months ago...

texasrattler

The only retail store I have heard of actually getting any was Microcenter. Best Buy has never received any in store, only online. Europe may see them but I'm referring to the US.

duckofdeath

The only retail store I have heard of actually getting any was Microcenter. Best Buy has never received any in store, only online. Europe may see them but I'm referring to the US.
What I mean is, you can easily sign up in line for a prebuilt PC "anywhere", you cannot sign up in any line for a standalone GPU. They essentially sell them all with the expensive gear. You can do the same with any big manufacturer.

NumberSix

It's a damn shame what scalpers and the crypto scams have done to the GPU market.

Dam shame what a worldwide shortage of chips as well as a worldwide pandemic has done to the supply chain more like, you cannot just keep blaming scalpers when there is nothing to buy to start with, they are a part of the problem not the cause of it.

paul1122

Seeing that Scalper retail GPU prices are now higher than the Video Card Stimulus Check amount, the government has to raise the amount of the check to match the scalpers' asking price. I'm thinking the next Video Card Stimulus Check, or 'VCSC', should be 3000 dollars.

Oh, and to make sure that pesky 'rent' or 'mortgage' thing doesn't become a bother, let's make sure we extend that crisis period another year or two until the GPU market evens out again.

kimo1

Btw, how's the lifespan of AMD GPUs now?
Once long ago, bought an AMD 6950, just to play Skyrim at max settings. It worked well, I was happy for its cheap price. I played a month only until my work demanded all my free time. I then only did average office stuff for about a year. Then I finally got some free time to play again. Started Skyrim and noticed something is very off: it's not smooth anymore, very choppy. I did a benchmark and found out my GPU lost about 20% of its performance, just by sitting in my PC under average use. Like wtf.
I got pissed and got myself Nvidia 980 for twice the price of that AMD.
Many many years have passed. I benchmarked both cards recently. The AMD card still works, but is 3x weaker than my Nvidia card. Nvidia card seems to not have lost any performance at all. I'm amazed. The benchmark tool's website also showed that the AMD card aged similarly for everybody.
How is it now in case of AMD GPUs? Does cheap cost still mean rapid loss of performance?

avioza

How is it now in case of AMD GPUs? Does cheap cost still mean rapid loss of performance?

Generally speaking, the gap is closer. There are many articles on this site comparing benchmarks. A little research will answer your question better than I can explain it.

NightAntilli

Once long ago, bought an AMD 6950, just to play Skyrim at max settings. It worked well, I was happy for its cheap price. I played a month only until my work demanded all my free time. I then only did average office stuff for about a year. Then I finally got some free time to play again. Started Skyrim and noticed something is very off: it's not smooth anymore, very choppy. I did a benchmark and found out my GPU lost about 20% of its performance, just by sitting in my PC under average use. Like wtf.
Many many years have passed. I benchmarked both cards recently. The AMD card still works, but is 3x weaker than my Nvidia card. Nvidia card seems to not have lost any performance at all. I'm amazed. The benchmark tool's website also showed that the AMD card aged similarly for everybody.
As someone that has used AMD GPUs for many years, I never experienced this. May I ask what the graphics card brand is that you bought?

neeyik

Staff member
There's a four year difference between the two cards. The Radeon HD 6950's GPU was pre-GCN (Graphics Core Next), being a Terascale 3 architecture from 2010. This was heavily revised for GCN, which then went through 5 significant revisions, before being replaced by RDNA and now RDNA 2.

The GeForce GTX 980, on the other hand, was released in 2014 and used the refreshed Maxwell architecture, which was replaced by Pascal, then Turing, and now Ampere. So while the HD 6950 was powerful for its time, the fundamental design was limited to Direct3D 11.2 and was very much a last hurrah for the architecture; Maxwell shares a lot of similarities to how Ampere is organised, and was a Direct3D 12 chip from the start (although it doesn't support all of 12's current feature set).

It's also worth noting that in terms of theoretical peak throughput figures, the GTX 980 is pretty much double what the HD 6950 has to offer, so it's not surprising that there's such a noticeable difference between the two in today's games.

godrilla

The only way to get a gpu at msrp currently is by purchasing a prebuilt system. My boy just bought an Alienware Aurora Ryzen second to top build which includes a non x 5800 cpu, 16 gigs of ram @ 3.2 ghz, 1000 watt psu, water cooled cooling, 512 gigs of nvme storage, and a 6800 xt gpu all for under $2100. He added the 1 terabyte upgrade on the nvme storage and took advantage of a $50 student discount. He ended paying close to $2200 total after taxes. FYI.
While DIY market is always welcomed it became too much of a premium this time around. Besides the 6800xt can be swapped out for future graphics cards as well. FYI a 6800xt is going for a $1600 minimum on eBay. 🤦 squared!

kimo1

As someone that has used AMD GPUs for many years, I never experienced this. May I ask what the graphics card brand is that you bought?
The stickers came off long ago, but I remember something "Club". Was it Club 3D? I see they stopped producing GPUs.