AMD reveals Strix Point details: Zen 5 cores, RDNA 3+ and tripled NPU performance

emorphy

Staff
Why it matters: AMD is gradually providing more information about Strix Point, with the latest data points unveiled at the company's Beijing AI PC Innovation Summit. While the news that it will feature RDNA 3+ may not be that earth-shattering, it is interesting to hear that AMD plans to embed the latest XDNA 2 NPUs in the chips, which more than triples the performance of a current-gen XDNA NPU.

Information about AMD's next mobile processor, Strix Point, has been coming to the market in drips, either through leaks or comments by executives. Dr. Lisa Su, AMD's chief executive officer, said at the company's fourth quarter earnings report that the series will make the leap to the next-generation Zen 5 CPU core architecture - a significant step forward in AMD's processor technology.

Su added that Strix Point is expected to deliver more than three times the AI performance of the Ryzen 7040 series processors. We know it will feature enhanced RDNA graphics and an updated Ryzen AI engine designed to significantly increase the performance, energy efficiency and AI capabilities of PCs. We also know that it has a shipment date of 2024. What we weren't clear about, at least officially, was the GPU architecture.

The company shared this information, along with further details about Strix Point, at its recent Beijing AI PC Innovation Summit, where it introduced the Ryzen 'Hawk Point' 8040 series. It also gave the audience a preview of its AI PC ecosystem plans, disclosing that the Strix Point chips will include RDNA 3+ and XDNA 2 processing.

Su, who was present on the stage along with other AMD executives, explained that RDNA 3+ represents an evolution of the RDNA 3 architecture, intended to enhance rather than replace the upcoming RDNA 4 GPU architecture. RDNA 3+, also called RDNA 3.5, is no stranger to the market as it has been showing up in patches for a while.

To deliver Su's promised three times improvement in generative-AI capabilities, Strix Point APUs will embed the latest XDNA 2 NPUs and a far more robust Ryzen AI software suite, executives said. This new NPU will triple the performance of a current-gen XDNA NPU, delivering over 70 total TOPS. For comparison, the AMD Ryzen 8040 series has 16 NPU TOPS for 39 total TOPS. Strix Point should also beat out competitors in this category, with Intel's Core Ultra series delivering up to 34 TOPS and Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon X Elite chips featuring 45 TOPS.

Permalink to story.

We need AMD to seriously step up their game as NVIDIA's CEO is just too comfortable thinking they have no competition and feeling ok about overpricing their graphic cards to all time high profits.

There's 2 scenarios on this:

1. AMD can't compete with NVIDIA.

2. AMD do not want to compete with NVIDIA or they have made an agreement with NVIDIA to not compete with them in earnest.

Intel on the other hand seems to be completely unable to produce so much as competitive (game) drivers years after their cards were released.

Conclusion: Huang the Leatherman is too far ahead of everyone else and we are very likely to see the present situation in the GPU market perpetuate itself ad infinitum.

2. AMD do not want to compete with NVIDIA or they have made an agreement with NVIDIA to not compete with them in earnest.

Intel on the other hand seems to be completely unable to produce so much as competitive (game) drivers years after their cards were released.

Conclusion: Huang the Leatherman is too far ahead of everyone else and we are very likely to see the present situation in the GPU market perpetuate itself ad infinitum.
The scenario of "AMD not wanting to compete with Nvidia" is as unlikely as Samsung not wanting to compete against Apple....sadly for AMD they need a very competitive CEO than understands the importance of giving the competition a run fir their money instead of being a conformist.

We need AMD to seriously step up their game as NVIDIA's CEO is just too comfortable thinking they have no competition and feeling ok about overpricing their graphic cards to all time high profits.

People have been crying over Nvidia for nearly as long as they have been around, and yet they keep innovating and executing and growing to heights noone ever predicted. Yet another inspiring American and Californian success story.

The Texans have done alright on their own way as Intel second source and GPU also-rans but they know their place.

The scenario of "AMD not wanting to compete with Nvidia" is as unlikely as Samsung not wanting to compete against Apple....sadly for AMD they need a very competitive CEO than understands the importance of giving the competition a run fir their money instead of being a conformist.
AMD and nVidia CEOs are cousins.

Here is the interesting thing about AMDs GPU competitiveness with nVidia. The highend GPU market is small volume, high margin. If you look at steam hardware survey, basically the top 30 cards are sub $500. The other thing is that the majority of 7900xtx sales weren't to gamers. AI developers on a budget were buying them by the pallet. AMD is absolutely making a large GPU, but it's going to be a workstation GPU meant to compete with nVidia's new AI chips.

I would much rather have AMD focus on cramming in a few more CUs for raster instead: we know from the consoles that if they wanted they could make even midrange GPUs obsolete but they just don't ever try that: Laptop (And now handheld too) APUs will never catch up due to power constrains and their desktop parts they're a very distant afterthought when it comes to includying capable APUs.

I would much rather have AMD focus on cramming in a few more CUs for raster instead: we know from the consoles that if they wanted they could make even midrange GPUs obsolete but they just don't ever try that: Laptop (And now handheld too) APUs will never catch up due to power constrains and their desktop parts they're a very distant afterthought when it comes to includying capable APUs.
Desktops will forever be limited to low end because of the memory bus. That's gonna stop any crazy plans you come up with.

Mobile is much more likely to get something good because they now come with soldered Ram(see the strix halo with 256 but bus).
AMD and nVidia CEOs are cousins.

Here is the interesting thing about AMDs GPU competitiveness with nVidia. The highend GPU market is small volume, high margin. If you look at steam hardware survey, basically the top 30 cards are sub $500. The other thing is that the majority of 7900xtx sales weren't to gamers. AI developers on a budget were buying them by the pallet. AMD is absolutely making a large GPU, but it's going to be a workstation GPU meant to compete with nVidia's new AI chips.
Meanwhile, for multiple generations now nvidias top flagship has out represented the ENTIRE AMD stack multiple generations in a row. The 4090, 3090, 2080ti, 1080ti, 980ti, ece.

The volume isn't as small as you think. And God to go back to the old forum posts where people where whining about the best selling GPU on steam being the $350 1070, if only they knew.

Meanwhile, for multiple generations now nvidias top flagship has out represented the ENTIRE AMD stack multiple generations in a row. The 4090, 3090, 2080ti, 1080ti, 980ti, ece.

The volume isn't as small as you think. And God to go back to the old forum posts where people where whining about the best selling GPU on steam being the $350 1070, if only they knew.
So I'm gonna blow your mind here, but AMD actually sells more GPUs than nVidia, they're just in consoles. AMD just so happens to also sell the GPUs it puts in consoles in PCs, too.

So I'm gonna blow your mind here, but AMD actually sells more GPUs than nVidia, they're just in consoles. AMD just so happens to also sell the GPUs it puts in consoles in PCs, too.
Imma blow your mind right back, Nvidia sells console GPUs too! AND, said console has outsold the PS5 and Xbox combined, and is rapidly approaching the most sold console in living history.

OOPS. 😆

Imma blow your mind right back, Nvidia sells console GPUs too! AND, said console has outsold the PS5 and Xbox combined, and is rapidly approaching the most sold console in living history.

OOPS. 😆

The switch's toy SOC is irrelevant to the gaming market, Nintendo is locked in a separate dimension. AMD is everywhere now PCs, consoles, handhelds, smartphones (through Samsung), internet infrastructure, Tesla EVs. But if you consider such insignificant iGPUs in the same GPU bracket, intel will probably pass both AMD and Nvidia in numbers.

The switch's toy SOC is irrelevant to the gaming market, Nintendo is locked in a separate dimension. AMD is everywhere now PCs, consoles, handhelds, smartphones (through Samsung), internet infrastructure, Tesla EVs. But if you consider such insignificant iGPUs in the same GPU bracket, intel will probably pass both AMD and Nvidia in numbers.
Which consoles are using an Intel iGPU? 🤔

Seriously though. When your argument starts with calling Nintendo's chip of choice irrelevant to the gaming market, maybe it's time to consider putting those goalposts down and taking a breather.

OOPS. 😆
I suppose that's a fair point, but the switch can barely play skyrim and other large market titles. The Tegra chip in the switch is really only relevant to Nintendo titles. I'll give it to you, but just barely.

Seriously though. When your argument starts with calling Nintendo's chip of choice irrelevant to the gaming market, maybe it's time to consider putting those goalposts down and taking a breather.
Fortunately none, but the discussion went along the lines of counting only numbers of GPUs sold, including tiny iGPUs like Nintendo's. So I think it's fair to include intel's iGPUs.

But if it's a question of market influence, Sony and Microsoft's consoles are the most important. AMD is being stupid by not integrating proprietary technologies into its consoles to sabotage Nvidia, as it has always done.

Nintendo's decisions have no impact on the games market, only on its own exclusive titles. Well, Maybe you should show Nintendo ports for PC or other platforms.

Fortunately none, but the discussion went along the lines of counting only numbers of GPUs sold, including tiny iGPUs like Nintendo's. So I think it's fair to include intel's iGPUs.

But if it's a question of market influence, Sony and Microsoft's consoles are the most important. AMD is being stupid by not integrating proprietary technologies into its consoles to sabotage Nvidia, as it has always done.

Nintendo's decisions have no impact on the games market, only on its own exclusive titles. Well, Maybe you should show Nintendo ports for PC or other platforms.
I dont think it's stupid. Proprietary tech only benefits you if you have a dominant market position and can force said tech into adoption. Which AMD does not.

Hell look at FSR vs DLSS adoption. Imagine if anything more consequential was made proprietary.
I suppose that's a fair point, but the switch can barely play skyrim and other large market titles. The Tegra chip in the switch is really only relevant to Nintendo titles. I'll give it to you, but just barely.
I fell it is just as relevant. The PS5 having a 6700xt under the hood in its APU doesnt matter one iota to me as a PC gamer, as I do not use a PS5. Games still come out sponsored by nvidia, or use nvidia tech like DLSS. The low margins of the console market dont make AMD any more relevant to the PC space, anymore then the tegra in the switch makes Nvidia more relevant.

This goes back decades. The xbox 360 was ATi tech, yet unreal engine 3, which was the bases for hundreds of games, favored nvidia.

I dont think it's stupid. Proprietary tech only benefits you if you have a dominant market position and can force said tech into adoption. Which AMD does not.

Hell look at FSR vs DLSS adoption. Imagine if anything more consequential was made proprietary.
I fell it is just as relevant. The PS5 having a 6700xt under the hood in its APU doesnt matter one iota to me as a PC gamer, as I do not use a PS5. Games still come out sponsored by nvidia, or use nvidia tech like DLSS. The low margins of the console market dont make AMD any more relevant to the PC space, anymore then the tegra in the switch makes Nvidia more relevant.

This goes back decades. The xbox 360 was ATi tech, yet unreal engine 3, which was the bases for hundreds of games, favored nvidia.
Isn't it dominant? AAA games are ported from consoles to PCs, not the other way around; consoles set the tone for what games will be like. So AMD is dominant in the games market, and I don't think it's low margins, because Microsoft and Sony largely funded the hundreds of millions needed to develop RDNA2. You're trying to fit a narrative with no basis in reality. If AMD wanted to, it could shove proprietary technologies into consoles that run poorly on competitors.

Huang the Leatherman is too far ahead of everyone else and we are very likely to see the present situation in the GPU market perpetuate itself ad infinitum.

To be fair, Intel has a similar lead in CPUs until not all that many years ago. "A little sleep, a little slumber..."

AMD's prices could have been competitive, but just like I said, as soon as AMD could raise prices they would and that's what they did.

There is the MSI Claw, a Steam Deck competitor that uses a 14th gen Intel mobile processor. It recently started shipping. Admittedly that's only kind of a console, since it runs a full copy of Windows 11 Home and can be used as a computer if you link it to a keyboard and mouse. It only has one USB port, so you'll need to use Bluetooth peripherals or add a dock.

So Sarlak having 40CU's, 120W power limit and probably 6700XT performance isn't enough to satisfy you for mobile?

Back