AMD Ryzen 7 3700X vs. Intel Core i9-9900K: 8-Core CPUs, 4 Years Later

Great article, much appreciated; any chance of a sequel with a more mainstream GPU like an RTX 3060?

I started with an R5 1600 when released, upgraded to the 3600 followed by another to the 3600xt and am now using a 5800x3d on the same board and memory. Not a bad upgrade path so far. Main reason I upgraded to the 3600 followed by the 3600xt was Memory Support. The 3600xt actually supported 128GB of ram on the B450 motherboard I use even with the 5800x3d I'm still using the 128GB of memory so I've been very happy on the upgrade path AMD offered.
Too Many people tend to think you need the latest/greatest yet my system has continued to run for over 6 years and unless something goes drastically wrong such as another Lightning Strike taking it out with other hardware, I'm expecting at least another 5 years of service before I have to replace/upgrade for the last time.

I started with an R5 1600 when released, upgraded to the 3600 followed by another to the 3600xt and am now using a 5800x3d on the same board and memory. Not a bad upgrade path so far. ...

Not a bad upgrade path would be an understatement. 4 generations of CPUs on the same motherboard is the best upgrade path/availability in what, some 2 decades or more?

If this was Intel we would've needed 4 different motherboards.

I love these retro reviews.

I can attest to the 9900K first hand.
In the 2nd week of September, my Legion 7 laptop went out in a spectacular exit.
From then until last week while getting warranty repair, I fell back on a previous laptop
that I thankfully held on to. An MSI GT76 Titan with a desktop i9-9900k.

It performed extremely well not only in games (200 watt 2080) but in all my design software.
4 and a half years old and still an impressive performer in my work and in games.

Do an FPS comparison about Alan Wake 2 and any other "praised" graphical game of this year just so we can all laugh about how hard AW2 slams the competition through the floor. What a delightful surprise this game was, optimization in PC gaming night not be dead afterall.

Switched to a 9900K on a whim from a 5800X. In all games I played they were pretty evenly matched. Even the system performance/feel was similar. The one standout for the 9900K was that it felt smoother and responsive vs the 5800X. This was despite both of them running the same DDR4/3200 CL14 RAM.

I started with an R5 1600 when released, upgraded to the 3600 followed by another to the 3600xt and am now using a 5800x3d on the same board and memory. Not a bad upgrade path so far. Main reason I upgraded to the 3600 followed by the 3600xt was Memory Support. The 3600xt actually supported 128GB of ram on the B450 motherboard I use even with the 5800x3d I'm still using the 128GB of memory so I've been very happy on the upgrade path AMD offered.
Too Many people tend to think you need the latest/greatest yet my system has continued to run for over 6 years and unless something goes drastically wrong such as another Lightning Strike taking it out with other hardware, I'm expecting at least another 5 years of service before I have to replace/upgrade for the last time.
All those years AMD struggled I supported figuring they would eventually (slogging along with the Fx8300 for all night video encodes from Ripped DVDs/Blue Rays (using AnyDVD) was finally broken by getting B450 MB and AMD R5=1600. I am well past FPS or action gaming but I still continue to expand my video library. I have now upgraded (on the same B450 board) to the R5-3600 (a really nice boost) and then again to the a less than $200 R7-5700G (it was less expensive than the equivalent non-G model and the included coolers on AMD processors work fine if you're past the age of messing with overclocking). Will definitely be my last processor on the AM4 platform and how can you not gloat over the same MB, Case, 2nd powersupply (from 80 Bronze+ to 80 Gold+), video card (still rocking an AMD RX 570 with 4GB for LT $200 (great price point for a lot of things). Supporting AMD finally paid off in spades and don't regret skipping Intel for all those years. If AMD does as well by its customers on the AM5 they will create great value for both themselves and their customers.

I went with the 9700K as it was $150 less than the 9900K at the time, and has identical performance in all but a few games. Still chugging along nicely, and I don't regularly run any software that would use HT anyway.

Back