AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: 8-Core Battle vs. 10700K

Good analysis, especially on the economics behind the 5800x's rather disappointing price point. In a perfect world, it would head off some of the anti-corporate conspiracy theories the comment section will invariably see.

The comparison between the 5900x and the 5800x is very interesting. Theoretically, the 5800x should only win when a game can utilize more than 6 cores or 12 threads (because 5900x can simply run the game on a single CCX), but not more than 8 cores or 16 threads.

The chips after all they are just a piece of glass on which they have printed a careful engineered but abstract design.

They print on silicon the transistors with uv light the same way the letters are printed on paper with ink.

If they have establish the technology (the “printers”) which is needed why they can’t just print near infinite number of cpus to supply the demand? There is no any guarantee that the demand it will last for ever...
They don’t need extra rare materials for other electronic components(ex capacitors) like the gpu cards for example neither big amount of energy. Just sand.

Last edited:
Great review and impressive performance but I have to agree with the conclusion. It‘s not the first time I read that AMD doesn‘t want to sell good CCD at the moment in a CPU that isn‘t top of the line or server.

Still, it will be a CPU to watch going forward if / when prices come down.

I would like to point out that 3700X also required a full chiplet and it came with a half decent and good looking cooler at just £329, I think AMD could easily sell the 5800X for £379. I mean I will most likely still upgrade to it from a 2700X but it should be a little cheaper

Great review and impressive performance but I have to agree with the conclusion. It‘s not the first time I read that AMD doesn‘t want to sell good CCD at the moment in a CPU that isn‘t top of the line or server.

Still, it will be a CPU to watch going forward if / when prices come down.

This sums it up pretty nicely. Priced around $350-$375 it would be a real competitor.

5800x's $449 is a teaser for 5900x.
Amd wants all perfect 8 core chiplets to be used by more expensive 5950x.
Also amd wants to maximize profit as the stuffs are sold out anyway.
Meanwhile, production cost should be similar to 3800xt as both using same process and.
There might be some minor increase in transistor count for the L3 multiplexer

The chips after all they are just a piece of glass on which they have printed a careful engineered but abstract design.

They print on silicon the transistors with uv light the same way the letters are printed on paper with ink.

If they have establish the technology (the “printers”) which is needed why they can’t just print near infinite number of cpus to supply the demand? There is no any guarantee that the demand it will last for ever...
They don’t need extra rare materials for other electronic components(ex capacitors) like the gpu cards for example neither big amount of energy. Just sand.
If it's established technology, why Intel can't do 7nm?
Fabs needs to find correct proportion of uv light, etching chemicals, patterning and etc. for more than 50 cycles to produce 7nm chips
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_device_fabrication#List_of_steps

why they can’t just print near infinite number of cpus to supply the demand? It's ...just sand.
Saying a cpu is "just sand" is akin to saying that the Hope Diamond is "just coal". Do you have any idea how torturously complex the process of making one of these chips is? The EUV light is generated by laser vaporization of tin droplets to a plasma; the machines in question cost billions and can only process a little more than a hundred wafers an hour; the wafers must go through multiple printing layers, then be painstakingly sawn apart, and the chips exhaustively tested, with a substantial number of them tossed out as defective. Every sub-14nm fab in the world is already running at full capacity as it is. How can they just "print more"?

Saying a cpu is "just sand" is akin to saying that the Hope Diamond is "just coal". Do you have any idea how torturously complex the process of making one of these chips is? The EUV light is generated by laser vaporization of tin droplets to a plasma; the machines in question cost billions and can only process a little more than a hundred wafers an hour; the wafers must go through multiple printing layers, then be painstakingly sawn apart, and the chips exhaustively tested, with a substantial number of them tossed out as defective. Every sub-14nm fab in the world is already running at full capacity as it is. How can they just "print more"?
The situation it’s like people want buy windows 95 and ms can’t print enough cds...

If the “print” machines cost billions and they can’t find more of them that would be because of patents not because there is a physical or energy barrier. If there is only one and expensive "cd recorder" in the "city" and the process is slow we can’t focus on how complicate is to write a cd (which is) but why is there is only one "cd recorder" available.

So, it looks like AMD kept one of the major chips from Intel alive with pricing the 5800x where it is.

Sell it for the same $370 as Intels 10700k and they will sell well. Ot\r, for giggles sell it for $359 and Intel will never sell another chip lol.

The pricing of this chip makes it hard to get enthusiastic about any performance gains, especially wen you consider that it's the only upgrade option right now for those currently on AMD 8 core CPUs.

At least for this CPU, it's less than a 20% performance increase for more than a 20% increase in price.

The only weakness on Intel's platform is the lack of PCIe 4.0 support, but not everyone is planning to take advantage of that right away. Buyers may be faced with a situation where those looking to spend ~$400 are better off saving a few bucks by going with Intel, or alternatively they will need to dig deeper and come up with another $100 to land the Ryzen 9 5900X.

You forgot the fact that Intel does not offer 4 extra PCIe lanes from CPU for NVMe drive. Before anyone even tries to argue that is not weakness, I remind that Intel should have this issue resolved in Rocket Lake. Because/if Rocket lake has it, that also means current LGA1200 platforms have major weakness. Why it matters? Future consoles have very fast SSD interface so future PC games may well use fast SSD access that does not interfere with other things (=anything connected to chipset). AMD resolved this in 2017 already.

The situation it’s like people want buy windows 95 and ms can’t print enough cds... why is there is only one "cd recorder" available.
CDs technology and CD printing machines had been around 13 years when Windows 95 was released. TSMC's N7+ process has been in production less than a year. If you want to wait another 12 years for the "CD printing" analogy to become valid, I'm sure you'll find an adequate supply of Ryzen 5000s.

Ramping up cutting-edge EUV production takes time. It's not a conspiracy to screw you out of l33t tech. You'll notice that chips minted on 5+ year old litho nodes are abundantly available.

AMD got greedy too fast.
They wanted Zen 3 on 500 series boards only, and they skipped the 5700X.

I'm buying the 5600X, but I just might hold out for a sale or a price drop.

Oh boy....

Anyone else notice the 5600X in the price/performance charts at the end of the article?

Has me salivating over here...Steve saving the best for last it seems
Actually 5600x is the real rock star here, if it's just about gaming. Because it comes in even cheaper then the 10600k when you factor in the platform cost (if you can find one for stock price). But it goes toe to toe with 10700k and even is not far behind the previous gaming champion, the 10900k. Decent b450/550 boards should have no problem running a 5600x, without the need for beefy VRMs. Though, I would not feel comfortable with the box cooler.

If Rocket Lake will have an edge, and Intel plays it aggressively with pricing, AMD will stagger again, at least for gaming. I know it`s a lot of "ifs", but maybe that`s why they try to fill their pockets while they can.

I really don't think that Lisa Su worked so hard just to fumble the ball now honestly. I think they had to drop zen 3 this year because they promised it, and the line up will expand once they have more.

As much as I hoped for a smaller price tag, it makes perfect business sense for AMD: they would want to keep the best silicons for the CPUs they can sell for the highest price (servers), or sell them at premium to keep the margins up. Such as life, I guess :)

Still, they offer the 5600x and the 5900x for reasonable prices, so all is not lost, and home users can buy decent CPUs at fair prices. I just hope that availability will improve, fast.

Last edited:
I was thinking off upgrading my other PC - using my 3700x and putting a better chip in my 570x M/B
I will still have to buy a 550 m/b etc ,

I'm going to hold off unless I get a sweet deal - I really want to see what next years Zen 4 brings - Shirley a new process and new ideas will bring something that might blow these out of the water.
If you got a m/b ready to go ( 450/470 ) - memory can be got quite cheap - then I think these Zen 3 are a real nice upgrade

Back