AMD slashes prices of Radeon RX 5700 series ahead of release

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? AMD will launch its new Radeon RX 5700 cards at a lower price point than expected when they become available this weekend on July 7. The latest Radeon Navi cards will be priced lower than what they were announced for at E3 and we've got confirmation of a 50th Anniversary overclocked RX 5700XT joining the lineup.

We got our first tease of the Radeon RX 5700 series back in May during Computex. At the time, details were sparse. AMD mainly wanted everyone to know that it had a couple of gamer-centric cards in the pipeline. It wasn’t until E3 that we learned more details about the RX 5700 XT and RX 5700. AMD claimed the GPUs are set to outperform Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2070 and RTX 2060, respectively. We also learned that both cards would be priced lower than Nvidia’s offerings with the RX 5700 costing $379 and the XT version ringing in at $449 at launch on July 7.

To the dismay of many who had recently shelled out for RTX cards, Nvidia introduced the RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super on July 2. The move seemed to be an attempt to sabotage AMD’s pending debut of its new Navi cards by proffering a more competitive line.

According to a VideoCardz report which has now been confirmed by AMD, the upcoming Radeon offerings will receive a discount ahead of release. The RX 5700 XT will go for $399 and the RX 5700 will be priced at $349 — a $50 and $30 discount, respectively.

• 50th Anniversary Edition AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card -- $449
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card -- $399
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700 graphics card -- $349

Powered by AMD's new RDNA architecture, the new Radeon family brings support for PCIe 4.0 and 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM.

Also announced recently, gamers who purchase a qualifying AMD Radeon GPU or Ryzen processor, will receive three months of access to Microsoft's Game Pass for PC.

On the GPU side, the list consists of the Radeon RX 5700 series, Radeon VII, an RX Vega 64 or 56, and all RX 500-series GPUs, including the RX 590, 580, 570, and 560. In terms of qualifying CPUs, we have the Ryzen 7 2700X or 2700, and the Ryzen 5 2600X, 2600E, 2600, 2500X, 2400G, or 2400GE.

Permalink to story.

Price Wars... in GPU space. In a Galaxy far, far away, a very, very long time ago...last time it happened. Have to grab Me some popcorn.

The Flame Wars will soon be upon us, shortly after the empire benchmarks are released the rebel forced will take to the forums to spout their dismay and contempt.

That's when the popcorn is truly worth being broken out.

That GPU in the pic has a dent in it.

It got gut punched by a Super series GPU.

Good news but not unexpected. Nobody is buying a Navi card for the same price as an RTX one which has ray tracing acceleration unless it's significantly faster.

Even then the majority will still go out and buy the Nvidia cards anyway. AMD have to win by a solid margin to sell big volumes. The 5700XT was supposed (AMD claimed) to be a little bit faster than an RTX2070, and an RTX2060 Super is a tad slower than the standard 2070 as Techspot tested this week.

By this fuzziest of comparisons the XT could be a decent buy at $399, but I have the feeling most will get FOMO about RTX and still fall for the 2060 Super.....

Last edited:
Definitely the "Super effect". You don't simply lower the announced launch price days after the announcement and just before launch.

NAVI's PCIe bandwidth & speed is TWICE that of Turing's...

PlayStation has RDNA
Xbox has RDNA
Google's Stadia has RDNA
Navi has RDNA

Nvidia does not!

NAVI's PCIe bandwidth & speed is TWICE that of Turing's...

PlayStation has RDNA
Xbox has RDNA
Google's Stadia has RDNA
Navi has RDNA

Nvidia does not!

I'm a big AMD fan, but literally nothing you said here matters.

1. No GPU currently available is fully saturating PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, so having PCIe 4.0 doesn't give Navi a performance boost.

2. Xbox and PlayStation have been running on AMD GCN tech since 2013, and that hasn't stopped nVidia from wiping the floor in the PC space and ripping us all off with absurd pricing.

Stop being a fanboy and think critically.

Nobody is buying a Navi card for the same price as an RTX one which has ray tracing acceleration unless it's significantly faster.

RTX ON basically cripple frame rates at anything other than 1080p. While I understand a huge number of people still use 1080p monitors, those of use with 1440p screens are certainly not going to be going after those RTX rays (and DLSS is garbage). So, yeah, Navi actually sounds really good to me... I just wish it was $75 cheaper.

1. No GPU currently available is fully saturating PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, so having PCIe 4.0 doesn't give Navi a performance boost.

2. Xbox and PlayStation have been running on AMD GCN tech since 2013, and that hasn't stopped nVidia from wiping the floor in the PC space and ripping us all off with absurd pricing.

1) You don't have to fully saturate your Memory's bus, to make use of FASTER speeds. Having information travel at 2x the speed is a plus. And again, the PCIe bus being clogged isn't an issue, but the pipes now move at twice the speed. Understand?

So that is a major selling feature.

2) Both SONY, Microsoft and Google had respective Engineers/Executives on stage with Dr Su, for the sole purpose of standing behind RDNA. And since the current console use GCN and RDNA can innately decode GCN, then the transition towards full RDNA will be extremely easy. And exactly what these developers has said.

So, RDNA is the future of gaming... all the big players have already told us so. Why are you talking about last year..?

I am not being a fan boy I am being a realist. RDNA is what any developer is going to be using, thus buying a RDNA enabled GPU is better than buying an outdated, OC'd burnt-out enterprise chip, meant for CAD

1) You don't have to fully saturate your Memory's bus, to make use of FASTER speeds. Having information travel at 2x the speed is a plus. And again, the PCIe bus being clogged isn't an issue, but the pipes now move at twice the speed. Understand?

2) Both SONY, Microsoft and Google had respective Engineers/Executives on stage with Dr Su, for the sole purpose of standing behind RDNA. And since the current console use GCN and RDNA can innately decode GCN, then the transition towards full RDNA will be extremely easy. And exactly what these developers has said.

So, RDNA is the future of gaming... all the big players have already told us so. Why are you talking about last year..?

I am not being a fan boy I am being a realist. RDNA is what any developer is going to be using, thus buying a RDNA enabled GPU is better than buying an outdated, OC'd burnt-out enterprise chip, meant for CAD

But but AMD has electrolytes! It's what gamers crave!

Nope sorry. You fell for the meaningless marketing bull.

But but AMD has electrolytes! It's what gamers crave!

Nope sorry. You fell for the meaningless marketing bull.

Yet, you can't explain what you mean and are opting out, bcz you don't have a que card.

CEO's and Game Developer's told us such... RDNA bro. There is no longer a market where Nvidia practice of "The way it meant to be played" is fruitful. Matter of fact, the entire industry has turned on Nvidia and sided with AMD.

Yet, you can't explain what you mean and are opting out, bcz you don't have a que card.

CEO's and Game Developer's told us such... RDNA bro. There is no longer a market where Nvidia practice of "The way it meant to be played" is fruitful. Matter of fact, the entire industry has turned on Nvidia and sided with AMD.

No, you don't know what YOU are talking about. Also what's a 'que card'?

You mean cue card? Or is this you creating a Spanish/English hybrid language and just not informing this forum?

t3_2hehv3

Price wars.....what an unusual phenomenon! I'll have to break out my archaeological tool kit to study this further.

The fact that AMD is doing this prior to launch makes me think the 5700xt wont be as fast as the 2070 super. Which sucks for AMD. The fact they cant pull ahead of Nvidia even with a huge node advantage is depressing, and with nvidia GPUs now capable of Freesync the reasons to buy AMD have dwindled further.

I hoped the success of Ryzen would let AMD stretch their legs a bit more on the GPU front, but now it will come down to their NEXT arch 2 years from now.

1) if you are not saturating the pipes you currently have, having the pipes move at 2X speed will make 0 difference, you are not currently using what you have. Understand?

So that major selling feature is completely worthless.

2) The presence of GCN in current consoles did not make AMD magically gain a huge lead on nvidia, and the presence of their new arch will not magically make them faster then Turing. Saying "but but but RDNA IS THE FUTURE" is the EXACT same BS people were pulling on GCN, how it was the future, how the competition would be unable to keep up, ece. Meanwhile Nvidia dominates the GPU space on gaming PCs.

RDNA is just an arch! It isnt some magic API that programmers can use in games. DX12 is the future of games, RDNA is not.

Last edited:
No, you don't know what YOU are talking about. Also what's a 'que card'?

You mean cue card? Or is this you creating a Spanish/English hybrid language and just not informing this forum?

t3_2hehv3

See you are in denial.

You do not believe the next Xbox, PlayStation, etc are being designed with RDNA and it is all a hoax. So you keep pretending like it was yesterday and you didn't hear, or don't know the truth.

And your responses can't be explained, bcs you are reading them from cards, just like any sweatshop does,

1) if you are not saturating the pipes you currently have, having the pipes move at 2X speed will make 0 difference, you are not currently using what you have. Understand?

So that major selling feature is completely worthless.

2) The presence of GCN in current consoles did not make AMD magically gain a huge lead on nvidia, and the presence of their new arch will not magically make them faster then Turing. Saying "but but but RDNA IS THE FUTURE" is the EXACT same BS people were pulling on GCN, how it was the future, how the competition would be unable to keep up, ece. Meanwhile Nvidia dominates the GPU space on gaming PCs.

RDNA is just an arch! It isnt some magic API that programmers can use in games. DX12 is the future of games, RDNA is not.

1) Please go back and read. Don't pretend to know, but actual read and comprehend. PCIe4.0 operates at twice the speed.

You do not need to saturate the PCIe bus, to gain the advantage of information traveling at twice the speed. And do understand, it isn't twice the speed for only your GPU, but everything on the PCI4.0 bus. Even your M.2 drives (Which I am sure you have seen the throughputs on them by now...)

2) GCN is old news now and RDNA is the future. RDNA can still do GCN, so that means if a Developer was currently developing a game, that will release on the brand new Xbox, and/or PlayStation, then those Consoles (that feature only RDNA) will still be able to use GCN. Which means RDNA is backwards compatible and doesn't hinder Developers who will be transistioning from GCN, to RDNA.

As one Developer already has told us, the transition is quite effortless once you get working with RDNA.

So, since every game on the xbox and playstation will be using RDNA hardware, then almost most/nearly all developers will be familiar with it, given time. And seeing that RDNA will be in 1 billion people hand within a few years time.. there is no harm is using it.

Last edited:
That GPU in the pic has a dent in it.

It got gut punched by a Super series GPU.

Good news but not unexpected. Nobody is buying a Navi card for the same price as an RTX one which has ray tracing acceleration unless it's significantly faster.

Even then the majority will still go out and buy the Nvidia cards anyway. AMD have to win by a solid margin to sell big volumes. The 5700XT was supposed (AMD claimed) to be a little bit faster than an RTX2070, and an RTX2060 Super is a tad slower than the standard 2070 as Techspot tested this week.

By this fuzziest of comparisons the XT could be a decent buy at $399, but I have the feeling most will get FOMO about RTX and still fall for the 2060 Super.....
Why would anyone use RT, 20 year old doom 2 barely gets what 60 fps with it? For the same 50%+ performance impact you could increase any other setting and get farrrr more out of it. 1080p to 2k, 60 fps to 100 fps etc etc etc etc.

A 2080 ti can barely get 60 fps at 2k with RT turned on. In case you want to see reality, click here.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1759-ray-tracing-benchmarks-vol-2/

Lets just keep it ammicable lads, no hits below the belt and no blows to the back of the head.

I'll be switching to a custom 5700 XT if/when they come out from my 1070Ti. Why? I don't like Nvidia anymore, but that's a personal preference. And I want to support the resergent competitor. I also don't see current gen RTX as capable enough to accomplish it's goals or when it does, priced reasonably enough.

RTX looks pretty but the massive variance in frame rates between scenes, when in effect, are said to be eye straining.

The DLSS takes an Nvidia AI supercomputer to make on a game by game basis and amounts to a mix of blurring and or bad upscaling. Tim himself recommended doing your own upscaling to achieve the same if not better effect.

As for why I'd like to switch, I liked the practical aspect of a few RDNA features. An anti-blur and detail enhancer was interesting. Especially since it could be applied to almost any game with or without the game developer's effort. The anti lag was also interesting but to a lesser extent.

It also might be worth pointing to a 7/4/19 tweet by Scott Herkelman (formerly of Nvidia) the VP and GM of the AMD Radeon Business Unit. In which through one word implied that the initial pricing was a way to test how Nvidia's Super lineup would be released, but implication without confirmation is of course speculation.

All in all competition is great and we should all be pretty happy about these next few weeks.

Last edited:
Its true its faster I got a 860 evo sata drive on a pcie4.0 motherboard and its benchmarks faster than my nvme 970 drive on my pcie 3.0 rog which should be faster then it by 4 times normally butt instead its a bit slower what a shock to see it do it over and over so there is something to pcie 4.0 support

Back