AMD: The new GPU architecture

red1776

Interesting stuff on the new gen of GPU from VR_Zone

amd3.png.png

The article can be had here
http://vr-zone.com/articles/next-generation-gpus-amd-s-cray-on-a-chip-/13163.html

Good read, having a shared address space between the cpu and gpu opens up a lot of possibilities. Things have come a long way since the days of the 8086 and 8087, anybody here except me remember the NEC V20? That was my first processor upgrade from an 8088.

I didn't start paying attention until the Commodore PET myself, but just for you...cue Barbara Streisand....

UPD70108C-8_01.jpg

Read the article too, however I didn't understand much of it.

red, aren't there any dates when the cards will come out? I have heard that between Q4 2011 and Q2 2012. I mean the specific cards, like the high end, the enthusiast's, office and etc...

Silly me - I started with the Apple IIe. But I paid extra to double the RAM to 128 KB. And bought it with two external floppy disk readers (the "old version" of hard drive - and those were the real floppies before the floppy disk was enclosed in plastic and became a hard floppy disk) so I could have one for storage while the other ran a program - or copy from one floppy to another. It didn't even have a video card - or slot for one.

Back