AMD unveils revolutionary 'Mantle' API to optimize GPU performance

Scorpus

Staff member

At AMD's GPU14 Tech Day event in Hawaii, alongside the brand new Radeon R9 290X GPU, the company has also unveiled a new development model called 'Mantle'. As a combination of both API specifications and GPU drivers, Mantle will allow developers to fully unlock the graphics potential of the GCN architecture of the new (and likely the previous) Radeon series, through low-level high-performance drivers.

Battlefield 4 will be the first title to use Mantle, with the technology coming through a free update in December. Mantle brings greater control of the GPU and CPU to game developers, especially in the memory department, which will allow games to harness the full potential of graphics cards. This model will be more similar to what is found on consoles, where developers have huge control over what hardware they use in their games.

While the technology is still in early stages, EA says it will allow PC game developers to harness even more graphics power than ever before. Where possible, Mantle will be used instead of DirectX 11 on compatible AMD hardware, although it's still compatible with other rendering APIs. AMD claims Mantle enables nine times more draw calls per second than other APIs, which is a huge increase in performance.

We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs. It should also make cross-development between PC and console games a lot easier, and also more incredible for those with a high-performance AMD GPU.

More information on Mantle will be available at the AMD Developer Summit in November.

Permalink to story.

Now this interest me more than the new GPU's. I really want to see how this changes gaming on PC. Since DICE is investing so much in this then it must have good performance improvements for BF4 in December.

In a recent poll they asked why PC sales were in a slump. I replied the last time it was worth actually updating was for DX11...
there hasn't been an upgrade worth a **** till this...
I hope Mantle is "All That"

give me a reason, then take my money !!!

2t

I dont really understand this fully. Cant wait to get more details during that summit. Too bad this is exclusive to GCN 2.0 cards though.

"welcome to the real world were technology never stops advancing."

Welcome to the real world where you pay the price for the best and on year after you don't have it, just saying.

Why the "last Radeon"?

"We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs."

True, but it's just an api Nvidia would have to come up with a whole way of implementation themselves since this is undoubtedly VERY GPU specific.

PC sales are lower, but components sales and PC gaming sales have been steadily increasing every year. Gamers just build more and more their own PC.

If this was to be nVidia's technology, than it would be closed like Pandora's box, just like other technologies they have. Why do AMD can make his technologies open and nVidia doesn't? F*** nVidia, yeah! They only care about getting us excited for giving them lots of money.

I've read cross platform and thought of SteamOs. Was I wrong?

This is what I was thinking... I feel as though there are going to be some big changes coming (1-3 years) for pc gaming. Lets hope we break free of Microsoft and the directx api and propel into a more open and developer oriented ecosystem.

Did I say I was considering going green under that last Batman PhysX article? Um... can I get that deleted? hahaha. AMD discrete GPU's are really really - really looking good. And who doesn't like hardware level features like this True Audio. And working with DICE?! BF4 supporting this first?! I'm excited.

nVIDIA better get their focus back on their GeForce products, because enabling/disabling and raising clocks and price only gets you so far. Has anyone heard any decent rumors about what nVIDIA has planned?

Did I say I was considering going green under that last Batman PhysX article? Um... can I get that deleted? hahaha. AMD discrete GPU's are really really - really looking good. And who doesn't like hardware level features like this True Audio. And working with DICE?! BF4 supporting this first?! I'm excited.

nVIDIA better get their focus back on their GeForce products, because enabling/disabling and raising clocks and price only gets you so far. Has anyone heard any decent rumors about what nVIDIA has planned?

AMD is doing same thing with clocks and new GPUs. Only the most expensive one will be brand new. Same like Titan an gtx 780. So your point is really weak and bit fanboyish.

I hope mantle becomes the standard and not just another API that must be supported.

Hoping its not just another glide or eax.

Back