AMD X4 Black Edition with multiplier locked at 4x

ihaveaname

Hey guys,

I just built a computer for a friend, and everything works, except that the multiplier, as stated in the title, is locked at 4x, (making 0.8GHz with the FSB at 200MHz). Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 AMD 880G motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3412#ov)
2X 2GB DDR3 1333 (Kingston) RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (SUPPOSED TO RUN AT 3.4GHz) CPU
Coolermaster HAF922 ATX Case (all three fans spin fine)
Gigabyte HD6870 1GB (I doubt this has much to do with it) graphics card
Seagate SATA2 1TB 7200rpm HDD (again, probably not the problem)

I have read from online forums that this was a common problem with Gigabyte motherboards (I wish I read that before the parts were ordered :D), but this is a new AM3 motherboard and there is only one BIOS available? By the way, we tried manually changing the multiplier (down to 16 instead of the standard 17) in the BIOS and this did not change things. However the FSB did stay changed when we tweaked it (to 210). Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Please help me; I convinced my friend to not buy an OEM computer and now I'm feeling a bit sheepish....

i hear you bud

first off i have built 80 computers in 5 years and sold them all ,i feel you bro,all asus boards only one time with Gigabyte,abit ,msi never again, its all crap unless it says asus on it, i just had my asus rampage extreme 2 with the same problem,flashed bios ,now i am good to go, anything thats from the store is crap, you should have built him like i built my buds rig asus pro 1156 socket i5 3.2 overclocked to 3.99 lololol 4 gigs ram ,no problems he is happy as hell

when u buy parts you must buy them in order and put the money into the mobo chip and ram then video card then psu then case, people want hdd space lolol who cares about a 1tb hdd lolol it seems to me that everyone just cares about hdd space and not looking to build a great rig no offense, i love it when people buy rigs because of color or hdd space lolol

[puts_on_mod hat_]Could you please use edit rather than creating a new post to add more information.[/removes_mod_hat]

I personally think Asus motherboards are a waste of space, definitely confirmed with this ROG motherboard I'm currently using. Gigabyte all the way for me.

I also find your whole post perplexing - especially in regards to how you purchase parts. A self-built computer is usually defined by the budget available for said computer - not how much you want to spend on the motherboard and CPU. Afterall, no good spending £500 on a Mobo and CPU and then only having £100 left from a £600 budget to build the rest.

I'd also be very keen to see the average disk capacity of a traditional users computer as well. In fact I'm so intrigued I'm going to start a poll right now. :)

Lol I forgot about this post ... the problem is fixed now; I made a rather stupid and embarrassing mistake in the build which I would rather not share with others :p Thanks for the help anyway!

Btw, hard drives are almost stupidly cheap now; that one we bought cost $55, so why not go the whole terabyte? Just saying....

I totally agree, its almost non-cost efficient to purchase anything less than 500-1000GB now. The price difference between a 500/750/1000GB disk in most cases makes it cheaper per GB to go the full terabyte route.

I can't speak for AUS, but in the UK a 1TB hard disk is hitting the sub-£40 price bracket now. I got a Samsung F4 SpinPoint 2TB for under £60 delivered a few weeks ago myself. Would have been £20 more to get two Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB hard disks.

Back