AMD Zen 4 release lineup rumored to copy Ryzen 5000 launch, arrive in September

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Every day that passes brings us closer to the launch of AMD's Zen 4 CPUs and RDNA 3 GPUs, which means rumors keep arriving thick and fast. In the case of the former, the latest claim relates to the initial lineup of team red's new processors, which may include the Ryzen 7950X flagship.

The latest rumor comes from the Twitter account of regular and reliable hardware leaker Greymon55. They claim that the first lineup of Zen 4-powered CPUs will consist of the Ryzen 7950X, 7900X, 7800X, and 7600X, with the 7700X absent. That would be a next-gen replica of the Ryzen 5000 launch lineup from November 2020.

The excitement around the Ryzen 7000 series increased last month when AMD confirmed that the chip it showed off at Computex running Ghostwire Tokyo at up to 5.5 GHz, believed to be a prototype of the Ryzen 9 7950X, was not overclocked and using a 280mm consumer AIO liquid cooler.

There was more hype buildup a few weeks ago at AMD's Financial Analyst Day 2022 when the company promised Zen 4 would have a 35% performance increase over Zen 3 and its 3D V-cache technology used in the Ryzen 7 5800X3D will be part of the new processor series. The new CPUs are also said to offer 8-10% instructions per clock increases, over 15% single-thread performance, and up to 125% memory bandwidth per core.

We know that Zen 4 is only a few months away. AMD still hasn't been more precise than "this fall," but a lot of rumors say September will be the month they land, with the 15th put forward as a potential date—despite fall starting on September 22. That would line up with claims that the Radeon 7000 series will land after AMD's CPUs; the latest rumors say the RDNA 3-powered cards will drop sometime between October and November.

h/t: VideoCardz

Permalink to story.

Is there any kind of table that lists, in rank of release, all the various AMD chips? Probably just my old age but I just can't keep up any longer .... LOL

I hope that AMD will keep AM4 around as budget solution with lowered prices. This could get us back to previous gen on an older node being available for very low prices after next gen was released.

I hope that AMD will keep AM4 around as budget solution with lowered prices. This could get us back to previous gen on an older node being available for very low prices after next gen was released.
Dude AM4 is 6 years old already. At some point it's going to be retired.

After a 3900X and a 5900X, I'm sitting out this generation to let DDR5 and PCI5 mature before upgrading again.

...but I'm still excited to see the improvements the 7000 series brings.

AMD won't stop making Zen 3 for a long while IMO, they will still be popular and many won't want to upgrade to Zen 4 until DDR5 gets a lot cheaper and faster. It's not like Zen 3 will steal wafers from Zen 4.

AMD won't stop making Zen 3 for a long while IMO, they will still be popular and many won't want to upgrade to Zen 4 until DDR5 gets a lot cheaper and faster. It's not like Zen 3 will steal wafers from Zen 4.
I think maybe herean article suggested AMD would have possibily new Zen 3 platform stuff = why not - makes loyal customers and those people can upgrade to zen 4 or 5 when it's cheaper for M/B . ramCPUs etc - or they get richer

I build my own PC's since AMD K6II 500mhz.
All I can say is never jump first at new released stuff. Wait for reviews.

There will be plenty of unsold AM4 boards/etc & also massive used market for budgeters.

AM5 is a whole new Era.
I still think AMD should keep producing Zen 3 on AM4 for a while going forward, at least a year.
That should help AMD cover the budget segment with Ryzen 5000 (those are perfectly fine with PCIe 4 and their performance) and AM5 for the premium segment.

This should also allow them to provide more volume to the market by using several nodes.

Dude AM4 is 6 years old already. At some point it's going to be retired.
True, but in its latest iteration (B550 / X570) plus Ryzen 5000 is still very much up to date, both IO and performance wise, especially if they are offered as budget CPU. It‘s also a stable and established platform with cheap boards and memory.

Am not expecting AMD to provide Zen+ on 300 series boards going forward.

I heard from a semi-reliable source that there will be a Zen4 CPU for AM4 with DDR4 memory support of course.

They are the ones that told me that Microsoft and Epic were going to merge or something like that (bad) and the one that first told me that MS was taking over Bethesda (that one was good).

I still think AMD should keep producing Zen 3 on AM4 for a while going forward, at least a year.
That should help AMD cover the budget segment with Ryzen 5000 (those are perfectly fine with PCIe 4 and their performance) and AM5 for the premium segment.

This should also allow them to provide more volume to the market by using several nodes.
Hunh?

AM5 is not a high end platform, it is replacing AM4. There will be budget AM5 boards too. Why would AMD worry about people who can't afford to buy used AM4 stuff?

Hunh?

AM5 is not a high end platform, it is replacing AM4. There will be budget AM5 boards too. Why would AMD worry about people who can't afford to buy used AM4 stuff?
‚High end‘ as in only offering more expensive SKU and what will undoubtedly be a more expensive platform due to DDR5 and PCIe 5.

If they have sufficient 7nm supply, why not sell users who do not want to pay higher AM5 platform costs an AM4 CPU instead ?

This will eliminate the need to release lower end AM5 CPU and people are still buying 10th and 11th gen CPU on S1200.

Lastly, I am quite sure AMD will continue to offer Zen 3 based Epyc and Threadripper processors and dies that do not qualify need to be sold, so it would be win-win.

‚High end‘ as in only offering more expensive SKU and what will undoubtedly be a more expensive platform due to DDR5 and PCIe 5.

If they have sufficient 7nm supply, why not sell users who do not want to pay higher AM5 platform costs an AM4 CPU instead ?

This will eliminate the need to release lower end AM5 CPU and people are still buying 10th and 11th gen CPU on S1200.

Lastly, I am quite sure AMD will continue to offer Zen 3 based Epyc and Threadripper processors and dies that do not qualify need to be sold, so it would be win-win.

What?
AM5 CPUs will be the same MSRP price as AM4 CPUs...

AMD already has budget boards/chipset available for AM5, how do you not understand this?

Also, in November ddr5 will be the same price as ddr4...

AMD doesn't have to do anything, the aftermarket and used sales will take over AM4 budget builders.

As an owner of an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Desktop Processor. I will be passing on this and maybe the next Intel or AMD CPUs. Heck, I kept my last CPU (i7-2600K) for 11 years and it still works well to this day at 1080p/1440p gaming with a good GPU. So I am going to see what the future holds, I want to see what Ryzen 5/6 and Intel Meteor Lake/Arrow Lake bring to the market, and only then will I decide if my old Ryzen 9 5900X no longer gives me the performance I need.

What?
AM5 CPUs will be the same MSRP price as AM4 CPUs...

AMD already has budget boards/chipset available for AM5, how do you not understand this?

Also, in November ddr5 will be the same price as ddr4...

AMD doesn't have to do anything, the aftermarket and used sales will take over AM4 budget builders.
Zen 4 will likely have the same msrp as Zen 3 *had* when it was released. Thing is - Ryzen 5000 CPU are already selling way under that msrp right now.
Ryzen 5600x had an msrp of €299 but now sells for €189, 5800x - €289 now vs €449 msrp….

AM5 boards will be more expensive than AM4 boards and I doubt DDR5 will be the same price as DDR4 although prices have gone down a good bit already.

Last point is wafers - AMD has a finite volume at TSMC for 5nm - if they can sell more (this includes server chips) by producing on both 7 and 5 nm, why not ?

I do expect Ryzen 5000 prices to go down a bit, so for those who do not need the latest and greatest, a sub €150 5600x on a good €100 B550 board will be an attractive value proposal.

Zen 4 will likely have the same msrp as Zen 3 *had* when it was released. Thing is - Ryzen 5000 CPU are already selling way under that msrp right now.
Ryzen 5600x had an msrp of €299 but now sells for €189, 5800x - €289 now vs €449 msrp….

AM5 boards will be more expensive than AM4 boards and I doubt DDR5 will be the same price as DDR4 although prices have gone down a good bit already.

Last point is wafers - AMD has a finite volume at TSMC for 5nm - if they can sell more (this includes server chips) by producing on both 7 and 5 nm, why not ?

I do expect Ryzen 5000 prices to go down a bit, so for those who do not need the latest and greatest, a sub €150 5600x on a good €100 B550 board will be an attractive value proposal.

All of what you said, will be fed by people buying used AM4 system w/5900xt's in them... if you're budget building, nobody cares about the latest tech, your concern is price/performance... and used AM4 system will be a massive thing a year from now.

(You can already build a cheap system it is only going to get cheaper as people start selling used AM4 stuff.)

None of that is any of AMD's concern...

I heard from a semi-reliable source that there will be a Zen4 CPU for AM4 with DDR4 memory support of course.

They are the ones that told me that Microsoft and Epic were going to merge or something like that (bad) and the one that first told me that MS was taking over Bethesda (that one was good).
Yep, they were right. It's official, it's a rumor!

Back