AMD's chiplet design affords massive cost-cutting opportunities

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: AMD during its International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) 2020 keynote earlier this month showed just how much financial headroom its decision to go with a multi-chip module (MCM) approach affords.

As TechPowerUp highlights, by limiting the components made on 7nm to those that would tangibly benefit from the cutting-edge fabrication process (the CPU cores) while leaving other elements like the I/O on a larger and less expensive process, significant cost savings can be achieved.

According to AMD’s slides, a third generation Ryzen processor with 16 cores built on a hypothetical monolithic 7nm process would cost more than twice as much as the chiplet version that puts the I/O on a cheaper process.

Guru3D make another solid argument for AMD’s use of the chiplet design. When fabricating big dies, you have a greater chance of bad yields. With lots of smaller dies on a wafer, the odds of something going south are reduced and you’re likely to end up with more working CPUs.

The potential to significantly slash prices could give AMD a serious leg up on the competition, especially among budget-conscious shoppers. And to think, it wasn’t all that long ago that the desktop processor space was a one-horse race.

Permalink to story.

I really hope AMD act faster they have excellent products but bring the real productd to market should be crucial because Intel wantt to buy more time. they really hope AMD delay more

Back